JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same here.

Only problem is the general public can't be bothered to care.

I've seen countless times, even on this forum, people who will buy some knickknack that they admittedly don't need, "just because it's cheap".

Until this behavior ends, the junk will keep coming, the US manufacturers will continue moving production over there and we'll keep funneling billions into a regime that hates us.
One interesting side factor is that the pollution created by that production is over there and not here.

The amount of pollution in China is incredible. I have been to some real dumps around the world while in the Army and the pollution in China amazed me. I have to believe that it must be shortening lifespans.

The media in mainland China is very tightly controlled. So, yeah, I take everything reported with a great deal of skepticism. Heck, as a foreigner, in order to use a mobile phone or the internet you must register and provide a copy of your passport.

I've read the same thing elsewhere more than once. So one era's great idea is the next era's dud. No Great Thing is guaranteed a long life. The environmentalists and some politicians are still pretending this is working. Personally, I think recycling certain materials makes sense. But only within the limits of being economical. There are companies here in the US that are trying to find ways to make recycling work on a sensible basis but it's being difficult.

I've been a recycler since I was about 9 years old, taking my little ball of copper wire down to the junkyard and getting back a silver half dollar or so. And this is one way to make recycling work, bribery. The bottle laws in Oregon are interesting but to a non-resident, a bit befuddling.

I said above, "No Great Thing is guaranteed a long life." This goes for most business activity. About the time a Good Idea gets capitalized on and pays off big, the field gets crowded. Then it's a race to the bottom to build business. Next thing you know, it's over. Business people have to always be looking ahead to the next opportunity.
Note: What I noticed was that...... OR is not interested in the bottles and aluminum cans that come from WA residents.
Should I/Do I blame them?

Hummmmm? So then......it's not about saving the environment after all?

Do the math.

OR grads?

Well, sorry.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I read that they stopped buying our "recyclables" because there was too much contamination in the stuff
This is about the labor issue that OldBroad44 mentioned. It's not that Americans got more careless with sorting; many Americans were careless about recycling all along. The Chinese no longer want to pay workers there to cull the recycling. Which they no longer want to do. It's not just with residential recycling, it's also with commercial and industrial scrap. Certain lower grades of electronics, for example, used to be sold to China. They no longer want the lower grades, too expensive to process.

In years past, China also took in solid waste, non-recyclable, including toxic materials. Millions of tons per year. For pay. They would take payment in return for being a dumping ground. This has been discontinued; they no longer need the money that badly.

The time for some of thsi was during the Trump administration when both countries were at loggerheads with respect to trade issues. But these were issues that China had to address anyway; the found the Trade War a convenient time to act on them. Making it look like they were punishing the US. Which is how Chinese policy often works. What they say is not always the real reason for doing something.

My guess is it is more than one person (many more) who has tested positive.

Our Satellites will be focused on that terminal for sure. I doubt they would close it so publicly if they were going to be doing something more nefarious during the closure.
Maybe it's a ruse to get our satellites to look there and not on what they are really doing elsewhere. My prediction (now that they have the worlds largest navy and army)----while the world is effectively hampered/distracted they are going to take swing at
taking back their wayward province Taiwan, consolidate their hold on the south china sea and MAYBE back a invasion of South Korea. They have the ships and soldiers. It's a REALLY short logistics tail. If they apply blitzkrieg tactics it will be all over
before the US reacts.

China has some pretty serious issues at home right now, the CCP isn't reporting it widely, but China is flooding badly, record rainfalls from the monsoons and massive systems failures. No idea how many thousands have died, ( again CCP don't report) but i'm guessing from all the video that's being leaked, its YUGE!
Just wait till the 7 Gorges dam fails. That will be a catastrophe visible from space.

Maybe it's a ruse to get our satellites to look there and not on what they are really doing elsewhere. My prediction (now that they have the worlds largest navy and army)----while the world is effectively hampered/distracted they are going to take swing at
taking back their wayward province Taiwan, consolidate their hold on the south china sea and MAYBE back a invasion of South Korea. They have the ships and soldiers. It's a REALLY short logistics tail. If they apply blitzkrieg tactics it will be all over
before the US reacts.
The PLA is very short on experience. They haven't had an army in the field in almost 70 years. They also need a significant number of soldiers for keeping control of the folks at home. They have carriers but again, no experience in wartime operations. The buildup for this scenario would take time and would not go unnoticed. I think such an adventure would be a very costly mistake for communist China.

Just wait till the 7 Gorges dam fails. That will be a catastrophe visible from space.
They say it's cracking all over and has moved off it's foundation 3 inches, and its only a matter of time before it fails and kills millions!
At first, it was a few internet "Observers" making claims, but there have been a swell of actual experts who are now stating this is actually true, and that the damn was destined to fail right from the start, that China has No skills in building anything like that and they do not have the standards the rest of the world has!

They say it's cracking all over and has moved off it's foundation 3 inches, and its only a matter of time before it fails and kills millions!
At first, it was a few internet "Observers" making claims, but there have been a swell of actual experts who are now stating this is actually true, and that the damn was destined to fail right from the start, that China has No skills in building anything like that and they do not have the standards the rest of the world has!
I am not sure that we have the ability to build a large dam like Bolder Dam renamed to Hoover Dam. We did in the past but with environmental studies and reports being done first takes a lot of money first and then all kinds of permits, etc. as well. We have had dams break as well in this country.

Same thing for the Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge as well.

Last Edited:
before the US reacts.
Last I heard, the US navy was bigger than all the rest of the worlds navies combined. China could be counted as bigger only if you count just number of boats and ignore their size or capability. China does not have a blue water navy at all. Its boats can operate inside the south China sea, but can't project force outside of it. The second biggest navy after US is Japan. And it is a blue water navy.

I agree that China is getting increasingly aggressive about the S China sea and Taiwan. And I agree that an attempt to take back Taiwan is likely. Especially since US has no firm commitment to defend Taiwan.

As for China trying to take S Korea, I doubt that. US does have a firm commitment to defend S. Korea.
Awwwww.......Come on Man
We can always depend on the Chinese and their transparency. Especially with anything to do with Covid.

Is that you Joe?

Aloha, Mark
Right! The CCP will undoubtedly always treat Americans as well as it treats its own citizens. Wait...

before the US reacts.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

"The greatest victory is that which requires no battle."

Sun Tzu quotes.

A history of human wave attacks aside, they do study Sun Tzu. China is playing the long game, and that means commerce. Capitalism is a PVP game that they've cottoned to very well. Especially for starting out a few centuries behind. Their imperial moves (belt & road, lavishing "aid" everywhere, ethnic cleansing with a "no we're not, it's educational!" face, IP theft guided by the government, on and on) are a way to conquest that's arguably more effective than boots on the ground.

Not that there aren't lots of Chinese boots. Not that there won't be war. But why? What would they get out of it?

Keeping a war footing, sabre rattling, picking at old wounds to keep folks mad (China was abused by other nations for so long - was truly wounded - that that one's easy!), are great unifiers, without the cost and risks of actually throwing down.

China's getting powerful not being kinetic. Why break with a strategy that's working?

I am not sure that we have the ability to build a large dam like Bolder Dam renamed to Hoover Dam. We did in the past but with environmental studies and reports being done first takes a lot of money first and then all kinds of permits, etc. as well. We have had dams break as well in this country as well.

Same thing for the Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge as well.
You ain't kidding. It took 13 years just to get the new east span of the SF Bay Bridge started after the 1989 quake and 11 years to get it done. And it only cost $6.5 Billion

Last I heard, the US navy was bigger than all the rest of the worlds navies combined.
As a US Navy veteran who has watched the size of fleet shrink drastically over the last 3 decades, I just had to check this statement out. There are several ways to rank navies, and different rank orders can be found on the internet. But if you count just major surface combatants and submarines, the US Navy may still be the largest and most powerful, but there is no way it is larger than the rest of the world's navies combined. Here is one source that gives a good rundown of the world's top 10 navies based on the criteria mentioned above.

China does not have a blue water navy at all. Its boats can operate inside the south China sea, but can't project force outside of it. The second biggest navy after US is Japan. And it is a blue water navy.
Some sources would disagree with you:

"The People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) has come a long way in the last 25 years. The spectacular growth of the Chinese economy, which fueled a tenfold defense-budget increase since 1989, has funded a modern navy. From a green-water navy consisting of obsolete destroyers and fast attack boats, the PLAN has grown into a true blue-water fleet."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top