JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Assume that you want the option to force multiply your knucklehead siblings. ..... should be reliable, easy to clean, easy to repair, and easy to operate. Not interested in distance, punch, or cool. I want volume because of simplicity, durability, uniformity, and interoperability. What do you got?
Same model, different ammo to get the job done.
Siblings, brothers in arms, whatever -- only a small percentage of will have what it takes to shoot accurately. If you want them to be useful, I offer up Mossberg Shockwave
Slugs in some, 00 in others, #4 in some, and birdshot in some. Add to that, the Mossy 500.

1628733417753.png

Same model, different ammo to get the job done.
Siblings, brothers in arms, whatever -- only a small percentage of will have what it takes to shoot accurately. If you want them to be useful, I offer up Mossberg Shockwave
Slugs in some, 00 in others, #4 in some, and birdshot in some. Add to that, the Mossy 500.

View attachment 1009897
I love mine. Have the 590 nightstick.

Screw the tactical ted crap, do it old school: your favorite wheelgun maker combined with your favorite lever gun maker. .45 Colt seem the obvious choice, but I'm more a .44 Mag person.

The only longgun/handgun package that would share any parts other than mags that I know of is the Rossi revolving rifle, which was made from a Taurus revolver. I don't know if they are still made.

I'm not sure why parts interchangability would even be a requirement. If I can stock a spare Grock extractor, I can spend the extra 5 bucks to stock a PCC extractor. Seems to be a debilitating requirement.

Screw the tactical ted crap, do it old school: your favorite wheelgun maker combined with your favorite lever gun maker. .45 Colt seem the obvious choice, but I'm more a .44 Mag person.

The only longgun/handgun package that would share any parts other than mags that I know of is the Rossi revolving rifle, which was made from a Taurus revolver. I don't know if they are still made.

I'm not sure why parts interchangability would even be a requirement. If I can stock a spare Grock extractor, I can spend the extra 5 bucks to stock a PCC extractor. Seems to be a debilitating requirement.
Yes. Could be penny wise, but pound foolish. Agree that money saved on mags alone, could leave $$$ for spare parts. But if it there are unicorns out there....

Personally (depending on budget) if I wanted to try to accomplish this. I would consider what would the level of proficiency be of people I would be arming. For example, are they so dumb they need an AK or are they capable learning quickly and using the AR?

If these people aren't very proficient with guns already, I would have no plans to supply them with pistols as I would be concerned they would possibly shoot (more importantly) me, negligently or (less importantly) themselves with the pistol more likely than with the rifle.

You could get the $500 or less Palmetto state AR's with MOE Magpul furniture, throw a Sig or Holosun Red dot on it and a basic cheap sling and you'd still be into it less money than trying to buy a pistol caliber carbine and a pistol for each person.

No parts carryover nor magazine compatibility. Same cartridge.

FN 5.7 / PS90. Ease of use. Made for PDW type scenario. Downside(s) currently pricey, as well as ammunition being overly pricey ATM.

Still, worth a look.

@The Heretic - input?
It's my choice, because it fits for my family, but it is a niche cartridge/gun so may not be suitable for the OP. Also, the PS90 is not a rifle you would want to use in front line offense; it is not made for that kind of usage - the stock/frame has a limited round count that it is capable of before it starts to develop micro-cracks. Its purpose is defense by rear echelon personnel (and tankers, guards, etc.) in the case of being overrun - i.e., not front line infantry. In my case, I would have a 5.7/PS90 as something to carry if SHTF while doing chores/etc., but if I expected/experienced attack, I would fall back to cover and switch to an infantry rifle.

As noted, no mag/parts compatibility - only ammo. Mag compatibility is possible with ARs for a number of cartridges, including 5.7, but parts? That severely limits the choices and I would question the utility of that - it would be better to just carry/stock the spare parts than to try to cannibalize one working firearm to fix another.

Glock 9mm is a no brainer, 32rd mags, parts galore, lots PCC options available...AR style, Ruger PCC, the above mentioned Mech Tech just to name a few.
To check all the boxes, this.
9mm or 40. PCC frames available for more distance and accuracy. If you have one, many types of PCC frames can be 3D printed. Modified parts, such as extended barrels can be purchased later if desired.

They say once you go Glock you never go back....

...well, I might be an exception to that as I found the g17 to be somewhat lacking. They are superb in some regards, in others...meh.

I'd be interested to know if such a combo. I don't know of anything like that myself.

About the only thing I know of that is within the boundaries set, is magazine compatibility. Tons of PCCs out there that match a pistols magazines and caliber. The rest…
AR and AK pistols :rolleyes: there's also Hi Point although to what extend parts interchange beyond magazines and sights, I don't know.

I mean; the ARs can be had in 5.56 in both pistol and carbine and rifle formats.. or one could go with .300 BLK for pistol and carbine.. or 6.8 rem SPC2 for pistol all the way to rifle.. or 6.5 Grendel for the same... I have such a 6.5 Grendel firearm :D

It's my choice, because it fits for my family, but it is a niche cartridge/gun so may not be suitable for the OP. Also, the PS90 is not a rifle you would want to use in front line offense; it is not made for that kind of usage - the stock/frame has a limited round count that it is capable of before it starts to develop micro-cracks. Its purpose is defense by rear echelon personnel (and tankers, guards, etc.) in the case of being overrun - i.e., not front line infantry. In my case, I would have a 5.7/PS90 as something to carry if SHTF while doing chores/etc., but if I expected/experienced attack, I would fall back to cover and switch to an infantry rifle.

As noted, no mag/parts compatibility - only ammo. Mag compatibility is possible with ARs for a number of cartridges, including 5.7, but parts? That severely limits the choices and I would question the utility of that - it would be better to just carry/stock the spare parts than to try to cannibalize one working firearm to fix another.
Sounds like you could use an AR-57

2F607EC3-688D-4F3B-930E-181C0A0CC822.jpeg

Assume that you want the option to force multiply your knucklehead siblings. I'm looking for recommendations for a PCC rifle and semi-auto pistol that share common parts, e.g., same extractor, same springs, same caliber, etc. (Same mags if possible) Rifle and pistol should be reliable, easy to clean, easy to repair, and easy to operate. Not interested in distance, punch, or cool. I want volume because of simplicity, durability, uniformity, and interoperability. What do you got? TIA.
A good force multiplier is assuming individual responsibility to educate and arm your own dang self.

Only true combo that meets your criteria is a Glock handgun and Glock handgun with a MechTech carbine kit:

They're also making them for Springfield XD/M now.
Although cool, you can just about by an AR for what they are asking.

Correction: prices have gone up since I bought mine, you CAN buy an AR for what they are asking.

Personally (depending on budget) if I wanted to try to accomplish this. I would consider what would the level of proficiency be of people I would be arming. For example, are they so dumb they need an AK or are they capable learning quickly and using the AR?

If these people aren't very proficient with guns already, I would have no plans to supply them with pistols as I would be concerned they would possibly shoot (more importantly) me, negligently or (less importantly) themselves with the pistol more likely than with the rifle.

You could get the $500 or less Palmetto state AR's with MOE Magpul furniture, throw a Sig or Holosun Red dot on it and a basic cheap sling and you'd still be into it less money than trying to buy a pistol caliber carbine and a pistol for each person.
This.

Please don't supply firearms to folks who are not trained in their use and operation, they're more likely to shoot you, themselves or some innocent folks with it. A gun is something you need training with, giving someone a gun won't make them a proficient or safe shooter, just like giving someone a guitar won't make them a musician instantly.

All my brothers are served in the Singapore Armed Forces (compulsory military service like in Israel) and we are all trained on the M16A1, so for me, the AR-15 rifle is to go-to weapon of choice. When my family visits and should something go south, I can quickly arm the whole family and know that all of them know how to use their rifle. Their sons, my nephews, are now trained on the Singapore's version of bullpup rifle, I'll have to get something like a Tavor or X95 later on for these young ones.

If your family members do not have experience with guns, I'll go with a simple rifle like the AR-15 and make sure they practice regularly with you.

Sounds like you could use an AR-57

View attachment 1010609
I have three PS90s, one for each family member. I have no intention of using them as a front line infantry weapon - I have other rifles for that purpose. The PS90 & Five Sevens are for those times when we are doing chores/etc. and do not expect to be encountering hostiles, but we want defensive weapons anyway. Should we be attacked we would use the 5.7x28 weapons to defend ourselves while moving to hard cover where heavier and more powerful weapons would be stored.

If the idea is to be able to arm friends/family in the event of a crisis scenario, I say ignore the idea of a handgun entirely. All things being equal, people are going to develop proficiency with a rifle much more quickly than with a handgun. A rifle is also going to be more terminally effective and capable of more precision.

Also, if this is a scenario where the people being armed are relative newcomers to handling firearms, I would rather start them out on a rifle; I think it is a lot easier to make a lethal mistake attempting to manipulate a handgun without proper training than it is with a rifle.

I will echo, therefore, what others have said; a basic AR-15, a PCC, maybe even a bolt action rifle in an intermediate cartridge like 223 or 7.62x39. Aside from that, as much training and range time as possible for the people who would potentially be equipped with whatever firearms you select!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top