JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wouldn't you have just loved to tell the LEO that you had marked the car with a number of .45 slugs?!?! :D

You did pretty well, I get that the horn honk was probably a reflex reaction! I've done that myself! Bad idea, but what are you going to do if it's done? Just do your best as did you. Except having the daughter aboard I don't have a real problem about following the jerk at a distance! I'm glad you are both alright!

Man I tell you, I've driven in Portland, San Diego, LA, Seattle, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Boston, Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Charlotte off the top of my head. I've never seen as many accidents and bad drivers as I've seen since moving here, and I've only been here 9 months!

Last Edited:
Don't worry, you did fine.

You didn't engage in retaliatory behavior.

You followed a suspect of a crime and lead officers to said suspect.

Same people on here would tuck tail and run if a neighbors house was broken into.... right? Don't engage... right? Don't follow... right? Give a statement and be a pussifist.

Ya did fine.

I had two incidents one carrying and one without.
The one time I was carrying I was coming up I5 just north of Portland with my horrible GF at the time. These guys were driving next to us, 3 of them in an SUV, were being stupid so my GF (who was in fact a total B) flips them off. The driver freaks out and starts swerving at me doing 65mph. I figure I'll slow down and let them go on, I was in the fast lane, and the guy cut me off and starts to slam his brakes on and off. Then gets next to me, swerves at me a couple times, then gets behind me. I dart off the freeway near Portland Meadows and he follows me, At this point I think it's going to get bad, and I make the decision to stand my ground (young and dumb)
So after exiting the freeway I pull out my pistol and stop on the shoulder ready for a show down. I still don't know why, but I Thank the good lord they flew past me and kept going.

My GF starts laughing, and I give her the worst verbal beating I have probably ever given any person in my life.

Not to long after that relationship ended.

Huh, so besides some lousy driving, some horn honking and you choosing to follow the lousy driver, how was you or your daughter's life in jeopardy? And why did you feel compelled to tell the dispatcher you had a concealed license and that you were armed, at a time when you were in pursuit? The driver never exited the vehicle nor by the read seemed to be a direct threat in any way.

During the entire incident, I kept thinking "this is why I carry a gun, and i will kill this guy if he does anything that threatens my daughter, but I'm going to do everything I can to avoid that". Things observed and learned

I'm glad you both made it home safely. Go easy.......

My 2nd incident was after I was married and had my first kid about 3 years ago.
I always kept a truck gun in my suv, but I had gone on vacation and put it in the safe, and forgot to put it back in my car when I got back.
I was on airport way trying to get on north bound 205, the lane I was in was ending from construction and I had to get over into the middle lane from the far right lane, So I'm trying to merge over and this truck will not let me in, Im about 3 car lengths away from a dead stop so Im pushing to get over and this truck is hell bent on not letting me in, so I not being in a good emotional place start my aggressive merge, as in I'm moving in that lane and either the guy was going to let me in or hit me. The guy was an older guy probably late 50s early 60s and it looked like his grandson was with him about 12-14yo.
So this guy flips out as I get in the lane, right on my bumper, blaring his horn non-stop and giving me so many birds I felt like I was in an aviary.
I get on the freeway and he follows me, across the bridge, about 4 miles down hwy 14, and another 4-5 miles near where I was going for work, the whole time going postal, flipping birds.
The whole time a quote or line of a poem is running through my mind,
"Let not my last thought be, if I only had my gun"

So instead of pulling into my work I pull into a gas station, he pulls in right behind me, F!
I get out as does he and he starts going nuts, cursing, I do the same, I tell him he's setting a great example for his grandson, he tells me to go F myself, I stand my ground waiting for him to advance, both of us stand waiting for the other to get froggy.
I say if that's all you have then have a great day, which he responds F you, and gets in his truck.
I go in the gas station keeping an eye on him, as he drives away.
Pistol went in the car that afternoon.
And now it stays there.

D651D3FB-0CCA-4C63-951E-F2668C527B6C.jpeg

I carry every minute I'm awake. De-escalation is mandatory. Because the moment my gun leaves the holster, his and my life change forever. Avoid confrontation at all costs, until it's completely necessary.

De-escalation is mandatory. Because the moment my gun leaves the holster, his and my life change forever. Avoid confrontation at all costs, until it's completely necessary.

Agree completely. And many other lives are affected. Anyone with you or who witnesses the shooting, the perpetrator, the perp's friends and family, dozens of people.

Does de-escalation mean you let a jack-thump (or whatever the op referred to this person as) go on to their buisiness of menacing our hiways? This dumb@ss was was threatening the lives of others in our once civilized society, albeit on a road. The op is his own person. He made his desicision on his outlook at the time of the situation.
A question, what is more likely to cause us grief today, a nut with a gun, or a nut with 3,000lbs of projectile on a public road?
He at least let LE know what they were getting into. Sounds like they appreciated that.

Does de-escalation mean you let a jack-thump (or whatever the op referred to this person as) go on to their buisiness of menacing our hiways? This dumb@ss was was threatening the lives of others in our once civilized society, albeit on a road. The op is his own person. He made his desicision on his outlook at the time of the situation.
A question, what is more likely to cause us grief today, a nut with a gun, or a nut with 3,000lbs of projectile on a public road?
He at least let LE know what they were getting into. Sounds like they appreciated that.

Never argued that point. But pursuing a bad driver while saying that you're prepared to kill the driver if they intend harm on your family is tricky at best......

Huh, so besides some lousy driving, some horn honking and you choosing to follow the lousy driver, how was you or your daughter's life in jeopardy? And why did you feel compelled to tell the dispatcher you had a concealed license and that you were armed, at a time when you were in pursuit? The driver never exited the vehicle nor by the read seemed to be a direct threat in any way.

You weren't there, obviously, and you missed the "if he does anything" part... You should also look up the definition of the word pursuit. You'll likely find that "intentionally following at a safe distance in order to avoid while focusing on all possible escape routes" won't be included.

Again, I knew when I posted this that I'd take heat from those who always make the perfect decisions every single time in every circumstance. It is my goal to be like them, but I haven't attained it yet...

Last Edited:
Never heard "prepaired to kill the driver". Only to dispatch that I am a ccl in case le decides to approach me.

During the entire incident, I kept thinking "this is why I carry a gun, and i will kill this guy if he does anything that threatens my daughter, but I'm going to do everything I can to avoid that"

Re-read the OP sir.

People in west WA and OR take a horn (even a polite beep) as an act of aggression or like they just saw you flip them off. They need to get out of their safety bubble and get with the rest of the country where horns are used daily.

No. Horns have only one purpose. That purpose is to get the attention of a friend of yours so he or she will see you when you wave at them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top