JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Travel load out?

• Leave it all at home?

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Pistols only?

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Rifles as well?

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Full kit load outs?

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Tin foil hat only?

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Establish routes through communities with trained bystanders

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Possibly traveling to Lake Tahoe by car later this year.

I've gotten so use to CCW, wife too. Was just thinking what I'm gonna do. Obviously respect local laws. I have travel cases for pistols. Hard case foamed. Also a pelican vault for 2 rifles.

Normally I travel to/through states WA CCW reciprocity (hope that's the word). I usually plan on visiting ranges once I get there. But it's not that kind of trip.

What's an ideal or practical readiness for family road trips?
We have travel preparations….. each a GHB already.

Roadside emergency kit, winter survival kit (if applicable), paper towels, a quality knife, solar charger, and duct tape. Much like the freedom one feels when leaving a cell phone at home, it's quite freeing to not feel required to be strapped at all times. Especially when traveling through places where it could create a potential problem. Enjoy your trip, California is a beautiful state with hidden gems everywhere.

Great question. My answer would be "take something that goes bang".

Seriously, a few years ago I took the family to Yellowstone. We were traveling through multiple states and since Oregon doesn't have reciprocity with all of them I (foolishly) left my hardware at home. On the way home, stopping for the night in Idaho Falls, we found the place that five months before when we were making reservations through one of those Internet travel sites and was rated 4 1/2 stars, had converted to a short-term stay place. There were sketchy characters all over. A woman (crack queen) breaking into a room through the front window across the way. A likely homeless family moving everything including the toaster in next door. Their older teenage son literally had his nose pressed against the glass in our car window trying to get a good look inside while we watched through our room window. A rough looking character just ambling around the parking lot with a Hi-Point on his hip and TWO huge Bowie knives swinging on his belt. (If you've got a gun, why do you need two 15" knives?) There was no onsite management and we had to call someone to let us into our room when we got there. I called the guy back, told him what was going on around us and that we were gonna bounce. He apologized profusely and later even refunded our money. We made our way to Jerome, Idaho and stopped at a Best Western that cost about twice as much but was the best night's sleep we had the whole trip.

Don't get me wrong. Even if I had some hardware with me, we still would have moved on to Jerome. But I would have felt a whole lot better while we were packing our stuff back out to the car. That will never happen to me again. Lesson learned.

Edit to correct: It was actually Twin Falls not Idaho Falls.

Last Edited:
You can still bring your guns. If you want to follow the letter of the law, unloaded and in a locked container outside the passenger compartment while driving through the state will keep you clear of any imperial entanglements.

CA is a castle doctrine state, so your hotel room, campsite, etc. are considered your residence. Load up as typical in those locations.

Just remember, if you're carrying, and are at all concerned for your family's safety,
you should avoid all....

.... cities, towns, villages, gas stations, stores, malls, parks, parking lots, roads, trails, lanes, sidewalks, hotels, motels, Ubers, taxis, public transportation, schools, beaches, bays, piers, lakes, rivers, swimming pools, desserts, arroyos, aqueducts, mountains, forests, overpasses, scenic view-points, rest-stops, farms, restaurants, museums, theme parks, zoos, stadiums, highways, tunnels, food stores, local people, visiting people, and anywhere west of a fault-line.

Otherwise you're good to go...have fun ! :s0155:

Last Edited:
Just remember, if you're carrying, and are at all concerned for your family's safety,
you should avoid all....

.... cities, towns, villages, gas stations, stores, malls, parks, parking lots, roads, trails, lanes, sidewalks, hotels, motels, Ubers, taxis, public transportation, schools, beaches, bays, piers, lakes, rivers, swimming pools, desserts, arroyos, aqueducts, mountains, forests, overpasses, scenic view-points, rest-stops, farms, restaurants, museums, theme parks, zoos, stadiums, highways, tunnels, food stores, local people visiting people, and anywhere west of a fault-line.

Otherwise you're good to go...have fun ! :s0155:
If I stayed away from those places I would not need to carry

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top