JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Travel load out?

• Leave it all at home?

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Pistols only?

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Rifles as well?

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Full kit load outs?

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Tin foil hat only?

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Establish routes through communities with trained bystanders

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Why are y'all getting pulled over?
Yeah, well, I don't talk about how long it's been since I got pulled over/received highway violation. No sir.
BUT, if I were to do something like we're discussing here? Well, there'd be some freak thing and something would hit the fan. That's how I roll.

Why are y'all getting pulled over?
I've never been pulled over for driving offense since I started in 1996... Until I drove through the pan handle of Texas with an Oregon plate.

I was in a group of at least 8-10 cars going the same speed and a Texas state trooper pulled me over to ask me if I was smuggling pot, lol. He requested that I get out of my vehicle and sit in his squad car while we talked.

Since I had nothing to worry about I happily complied and was promptly let go with a warning. My firearm was in my luggage but guaranteed if I was concealed carrying it would have been a long day for me in Texas.

But having family in Texas, Arkansas and other southern states that's kind of par for the course. Cops down south are worlds apart from cops in Cali, Oregon or Washington lol.

I've never been pulled over for driving offense since I started in 1996... Until I drove through the pan handle of Texas with an Oregon plate.

I was in a group of at least 8-10 cars going the same speed and a Texas state trooper pulled me over to ask me if I was smuggling pot, lol. He requested that I get out of my vehicle and sit in his squad car while we talked.

Since I had nothing to worry about I happily complied and was promptly let go with a warning. My firearm was in my luggage but guaranteed if I was concealed carrying it would have been a long day for me in Texas.

But having family in Texas, Arkansas and other southern states that's kind of par for the course. Cops down south are worlds apart from cops in Cali, Oregon or Washington lol.
Texas is constitutional carry since 2021 so cary on your person next time!

I suppose I turn into an outlaw every time I drive into California.
I was born and live in Kali since it was a free state. I've been renegade for decades because they made me so with their stupid regs. 70 years' worth of side stepping/ tiptoeing "legal" vs practical. I have a few choices in what may be utilized in my travels, depending on the company and duration. Kali sucks in many ways, it's been good for me. but is going to crash and burn soon. It'll be ugly. PAX

• Transport must be unloaded in a locked container. A soft case that is lockable counts as a locked container. The trunk counts as a locked container as long as there is no passthrough to the trunk from inside the vehicle.
  • You want to keep your gun out of the glovebox and the center console. Those are no bueno
  • You can keep your gun inside the vehicle with you as long as it is in the locked container
What about in a locked container in the center console?

I think it's been about the same time for me. I was pulled over driving through Coburg. At the time, they annexed i5 and gave everybody tickets. They got in trouble for that one. :s0140:
The state took away ticket revenue from every single local jurisdiction in Oregon.

I've always wondered if all of the other cities hate on Coburg at any kind of city government conventions. You'd think the hate is strong for doing that.

I was born and live in Kali since it was a free state. I've been renegade for decades because they made me so with their stupid regs. 70 years' worth of side stepping/ tiptoeing "legal" vs practical. I have a few choices in what may be utilized in my travels, depending on the company and duration. Kali sucks in many ways, it's been good for me. but is going to crash and burn soon. It'll be ugly. PAX
Last time I checked the actual bad buys don't obey the laws to begin with and they are more likely to get caught.

So why should I?

Late to this thread, but I drive down to California from the South Sound a few times a year. We have a house in North San Diego County (yes, we will be selling it as soon as the value hits 1 million which will be sooner than later). Drove all the way down I-5 in January and saw exactly ONE CHP vehicle on the trip back (none on the trip down). It's pretty hard to get stopped for speeding almost anywhere in CA unless you're really stupid and don't use cruise control. And don't worry about the agricultural inspection stations or CBP checkpoints. They're not looking for Americans with guns in their cars. Anyway, my wife doesn't disarm (I'm legal in CA) in CA, she refuses, but typically one will not get hassled at all, especially if one is, say, a white senior citizen driving an establishment vehicle (i.e., Buick, Toyota, Chevy) without heavily tinted windows, blingy rims and booming bass (not that LE profiles down there).

As an aside, I just completed a 1750-mile road trip (Chicago to Tucson), only saw state troopers in IL (1), MO (1), OK (1),NM (2) and AZ (2). None in KS or TX. And yes, I was driving a rental car with FL plates like I stole it...

To the OP (if he's still with us), by all means take a pistol or two into CA. Just follow the guidance everyone else post (specifically, mag capacity), be smart and let your conscience be your guide.

What about in a locked container in the center console?
Understand that CA law is ambiguous in this area...like so many of our stupid gun laws.

Anyway, a locked container inside the center console, that is permanently affixed to the vehicle is, in theory, ok. This would be like the "Console Vault" brand of safes, which bolt directly into vehicle. But a lock box that is just tossed into the center console and not somehow permanently attached to the vehicle is questionable. I would slide the box under the seat before I tossed it in the console.

Also, there are never any guarantees that you're going to get a cop that knows the law.

I am also NOT a lawyer...I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I'm just some guy on the interwebz so take this advice for what it's worth. :)

Also, there are never any guarantees that you're going to get a cop that knows the law.
Classic example of over-thinking an issue.

Generally speaking, if one is an over-thirty (especially if one is over forty) white male who isn't acting like a total assclown, one is pretty much invisible. One's actions are what call attention to one. Worrying about your potential encounter with one of the local gendarmerie is a pretty fruitless endeavor, unless you're giving off those signals that alert everyone around, "Hey, look at me, I'm doing something that's against the law!" As they say, keep calm, and carry on.

I am in Torramce CA (where I lived from 1968-1987) dealing with an estate of a passed on relative. I've lived in WA state since 87 and have had my CCW. I am carrying concealed here because:
1. Probability of engaging is low.
2. I'd rather be an awesome witness and avoid engagement.
3. Famous oersonalities get busted almost daily for CCW without permit and it's a Misdemeanor and loss of firearm.
4. If I need it, I will use it and deal with it.
5. I refrain from road rage, bars, and federal office buildings.

My recommendation is practice your CCW while visiting hell on earth and be diligent about concealment and avoiding confrontation places and bad areas, if possible.

We will be alright.

Sorry for tagging you…. Didn't know how much more folks are watching this thread.
@L84Cabo ….. I figured you may have insight on the finer details of locking box…. We're not gonna have a separate "trunk" on the vehicle. I've used these "StopBox" products for the pistols for years. I don't have pistol safes.

(Side note…. I recommend…. AR locks are much more robust as well.

Would these align with Cali….?

It locks…. But I don't know

Or just go with a pad locking box

C9AD541B-23AB-4C85-8112-658FF781D52F.jpeg

Sorry for tagging you…. Didn't know how much more folks are watching this thread.
@L84Cabo ….. I figured you may have insight on the finer details of locking box…. We're not gonna have a separate "trunk" on the vehicle. I've used these "StopBox" products for the pistols for years. I don't have pistol safes.

(Side note…. I recommend…. AR locks are much more robust as well.

Would these align with Cali….?

It locks…. But I don't know

Or just go with a pad locking box

View attachment 1399006
That should be fine. You'll want a cable of some sort to tether it to the seat bracket if you intend to leave it in the vehicle.

Possibly traveling to Lake Tahoe by car later this year.

I've gotten so use to CCW, wife too. Was just thinking what I'm gonna do. Obviously respect local laws. I have travel cases for pistols. Hard case foamed. Also a pelican vault for 2 rifles.

Normally I travel to/through states WA CCW reciprocity (hope that's the word). I usually plan on visiting ranges once I get there. But it's not that kind of trip.

What's an ideal or practical readiness for family road trips?
We have travel preparations….. each a GHB already.
Remember that unless you go to one of the big cities you are more likely to die in a traffic accident or of heart attack.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews