JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Judging by NICS checks, 2017 saw a drop-off from the record set in 2016. But look at that first chart:2017 is still better than any previous year except for 2016. Remington has been tanking for awhile, and in spite of the run-up in sales over 8 years of Obama, it still piddled away it's reputation, quality, product line, experienced workforce, etc.

In contrast, SigARMS [now Sig Sauer] was on the verge of bankruptcy in 2004, but they hired CEO Ron Cohen and he not only turned the company around financially, he vastly expanded their product line in both rifles and pistols, and added new divisions for optics, ammunition, training, etc. He moved nearly all European production to the US to avoid import duties and EU regulations.

In 1990 I bought a Remington model 700 in 30-06 for a deer & elk, i was able to shoot a 1" group 2" high at 100 yards. I loved the accuracy but hated the sloppy bolt. I sold it 2 yeats later and never bought another Remington.
The saying goes, if yer product suxs your bottom line will too.

Their cartridges will be fine as long as they continue to account for ammo, component, and die sales. Remington ammunition and compenents would probably live on just from their monopoly on varmint cartridges like 223 Rem and 22-250 Rem. Hunting cartridges like 25-06 Rem, 7mm-08 Rem, and 7mm Rem Mag are definitely not going anywhere.

The SAUMs, 7mm STW, 8mm Rem Mag, 7mm RUM and 338 RUM might go the way of the dodo someday. New rifles chambered in such are pretty much non-existent as it is.
I was primarily talking about their latest cartridges. Yes I know the standard cartridges have Remimhtons name on them but they are so entrenched into the sport they will be around for a long time. I agree with your opinion

They got too big for their britches.
Lots of companies do this.
Grow too fast, and/or try to expand into other areas. Then a lot of competition moves in and all the sudden they cut cost and try to expand faster.
Your quality sucks, your costs are still high because you have too much overhead and high saleries.

They think they are too big to fail.

Instead of cutting in quality and supply costs, they should have trimmed overhead and cut back to a smaller, higher quality product. You would have less growth and smaller product line, but better long term success and keep your good name.

I've been buying American made as much as possible lately.

I feel that's important for our country.

Sad to see another one going down hill considering I have two of their 700's and both are darn near perfect.

Remington has an uphill battle. They have been their own enemy, no different than S&W, Ruger, Kimber, etc. is also, but another enemy, maybe even bigger, is the consumer. Since "Remlin" has existed, every site i visit professes what a pile of crap every product has become. I've some experience with Remlin products, and only one gun has had an issue of any kind, and they promptly repaired it. But consumers smell blood and have such a vengeance against Remington, their failure could be a consumer pushed prophesy. I also think if Remington was not the foremost whipping boy, consumers would turn against the next available gun manufacturer, and celebrate when they went bankrupt. And then another...

Too many manufacturers of every product imaginable has put quality control in the backseat, including Ruger. Although the actual percentage of substandard or failed Ruger products is very small, the unfortunate folks that have received a substandard gun are understandably very vocal. Then the folks that have no experience are repeating these QC woes, and it's becoming a tidal wave. I could see any company, not just Remington, or Ruger, or S&W, and more, driven to failure.

Last Edited:
They got too big for their britches.
Lots of companies do this.
Grow too fast, and/or try to expand into other areas. Then a lot of competition moves in and all the sudden they cut cost and try to expand faster.
Your quality sucks, your costs are still high because you have too much overhead and high saleries.

They think they are too big to fail.

Instead of cutting in quality and supply costs, they should have trimmed overhead and cut back to a smaller, higher quality product. You would have less growth and smaller product line, but better long term success and keep your good name.

That was the new bean counter company Cereberus that took over the name & $$$$. They care of only one thing, squeaking out the $$$$$$$ and do not care about CS or reputation.:mad:

Last time they got through tough times by building sewing machines, bicycles, and typewriters... then they really cashed in by producing 14 billion rounds of ammunition during WW1.
If they really wanna bail em' out, they just need to start a war.

Remington has an uphill battle. They have been their own enemy, no different than S&W, Ruger, Kimber, etc. is also, but another enemy, maybe even bigger, is the consumer.

Too many manufacturers of every product imaginable has put quality control in the backseat, including Ruger.

While every manufacturer produces a few lemons, recalls are what catch my attention. Whether it is firearms, automobiles or cell phones, when a recall is required, my first assumption is they rushed a product out the door without thoroughly testing it outside the lab.
Firearm Recalls and Warnings Index on FirearmsID.com

They did it to themselves, they took two of the most simple, robust & successful designs (870 & 700) and screwed them up, on top of that just look at what they did to Marlin.

Last Edited:
Their reputation is absolute toast. Someone should buy the name and let it sit fallow for 2 decades before doing something with it. Kind of like Henry rifles. The new Henry company isn't connected to the original one. I don't know anything about its old reputation, but I know that their re-made company has been killing it in the reputation department!

Funny thing....I just got my rebate check in the mail from an RP9 I picked up a couple months ago. They were giving those things away. Decent gun too... Sad to hear but the writing has been on the wall for a while.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top