JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
1685821077584.png
In early March I bought a Savage B17 BNS-SR .17 HMR for a planned p-dog trip to southern Oregon and was truly excited as it was going to be a first time experience for me. I paired it with a Sig Buckmasters 3-12x44 which appeared to be a great entry-level scope. Anyway, I took it out to the range to sight it in and had trouble getting a satisfactory group. At first I thought it must have just been me being a lousy shot, but no matter how hard I concentrated on my technique I just could seem to hit a decent group (3-4" at 100 yards). Fast forward to my 4th range day, a second scope with parallax adjustment (Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42), different ammo, different shooters and I came to the conclusion there wasn't much else we could rule out other than the gun itself was not performing. And yes, all the scope, mount, action and stock screws were tightened properly. And no, I didn't nick the barrel crown. Here's an image of one of the range days (100 yards). The Savage targets are lower left, upper right and lower right. The upper left was my Remington 700.

Image of Targets.jpg

The trip to Oregon came and went without me being able to use the Savage. Instead I had to fall back to my 1990 Marlin 60 .22 with a wonderful, cheap, Monstrum 2-7x32, my Remington 700 heavy barrel tactical in .223 with a 4-16 Mueller, and finally my M-Forgery with a Primary Arms SLX 1-6x24. After I got back from the trip I called up Savage, telling them what I had experienced and they provided me a shipping label and told me to send it in for a look, which I did on April 18. They received the gun on Thursday, April 27. And then I waited. And waited. Finally, after a month, I called them on June 30 and they told me that although a visual inspection didn't reveal anything unusual, they had sent it to their test range and in fact the gun was spraying bullets all over the target, just like I reported. They then told me that since my gun was made in Canada, they had to request a barrel from there and if they didn't have one available would have one "spun up."
For all the ramblings, here's my point: It's great that Savage is responding to product support and I'll eventually (hopefully) have a usable gun. However, the defective gun has cost me countless hours, more than 100 rounds wasted trying to sight-in, over $1,000 for the gun, optics and ammo and a gun that I couldn't use on my pd trip. The best I can expect is eventually getting my gun back and not so much as a "sorry about that" from Savage. While I appreciate the Support from Savage its still quite frustrating.

Hope that doesn't sound like too much whining. I know that life is just that way.

That's too bad that the Savage rifle didn't work out. Did you buy it new? How does the crown look on the muzzle? Also, did the barrel ever get beyond warm when shooting? I'm just brainstorming here.

That is definitely a fluke. The savage 17 that I had before was a, 1 inch group all day, gun.
And it was a cheap one with a flimsy plastic stock. I would imagine the laminate stock and would be much more stable.
That would lead me to believe that it might be something funny going on. May be a high spot in the stock, causing a weird barrel vibration. But, since they are going to take care of it, I guess you just wait and see how it shoots with a new barrel.

In my life so far Ive had to send 3 different guns back multiple times, and while customer service has been mediocre to excellent what they all missed was the cost of my time and ammo money to discover and troubleshoot the problems and only 1 of them compensated me for my troubles.

On one company I spend at least $200 on ammo trying to troubleshoot their screwup.

(note, it also takes a day off work to be home to sign for a gun delivery)

I hear ya.

Sorry, but your Remington 700 group wasn't all that good either!

Just kidding.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Sounds like Savage is taking care of you!

Sorry, but your Remington 700 group wasn't all that good either!

Just kidding.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Sounds like Savage is taking care of you.
LOL! 😬 Yeah, you're totally right. I wasn't really trying too hard with the Rem because I already knew that gun could shoot straight. I knew if I included that photo it probably would raise some eyebrows...

I got a cheap savage .17HMR specifically for shooting sage rats. It's a tack driver. Sub MOA groups all day. It's my favorite rifle to take out actually.

Sorry to hear about your luck. I know what it's like to really look forward to using something and to just have the entire experience deteriorate.

IMG_0077.jpeg

What ammo are you using? 20gr .17hmr does not group well in a lot of rifles. Also some guns like poly tip and some line hollow points. My ruger Rpr .17hmr hates 20gr and poly tip. Has to be hollow point 17gr. I was expecting the same issue you have.

What ammo are you using? 20gr .17hmr does not group well in a lot of rifles. Also some guns like poly tip and some line hollow points. My ruger Rpr .17hmr hates 20gr and poly tip. Has to be hollow point 17gr. I was expecting the same issue you have.
Yeah, funny it should make that much difference but I'll certainly keep that in mind when I get it back and go to field test it and sight in. I should definitely try a few iterations of the 17s but I bought 1000 rounds of Winchester 20 grain HP so I'm hoping they work ok.

That's too bad that the Savage rifle didn't work out. Did you buy it new? How does the crown look on the muzzle? Also, did the barrel ever get beyond warm when shooting? I'm just brainstorming here.
Yeah, bought it new. I couldn't see any defects in the crown and the barrel never got hot. Also, the barrel was completely free-floating; plenty of space between it and the stock using the George Washington test.

Yeah, funny it should make that much difference but I'll certainly keep that in mind when I get it back and go to field test it and sight in. I should definitely try a few iterations of the 17s but I bought 1000 rounds of Winchester 20 grain HP so I'm hoping they work ok.
Ouch. I just bought a new volquartsen 17hmr. I had 8 different types of ammo to test to see what it liked and ordered from there. When testing ammo 20gr will hit about 2in lower than 17gr definitely some difference.

Mine doesn't group 20grain well at all. It specifically likes the Hornady 17grain V-Max. With that ammo I can keyhole shots.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top