JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gotta hand it to them, a legendary gun company who were largely untouched until the 90's and they were one of the most popular manufactures with THE most successful two guns of all time, the mod 700 rifle, and the equally popular 870 shotgun! Voth destend to be legends for future generations to admire! Sad to see them brought to their knees, I have been sad about the down hill slide in quality, workmanship, and reliability! I hope they can sort it all out and come back fighting with a vengeace! It would be sad to see them go away like so many others!

Welcome to the new era. Lots of iconic American Manufacturing Company have failed or are close to doing so. Bad business planning? Economic downturn? Or ... enemy action? Pick your poison, or a combination of the above.

Just look at what's happening to Colt! Even it' other massve holdings are at risk of failing! So sad to see legendary American gun makers falling and failing! And even Winchester is close with its business dealings with Browning and Fabrique National!!!

Im guessing they are thanking the lord for the controversy pushing TAC14 sales right now... probably the only thing keeping the lights on. They are practically giving away the RP9 and RM380 pistols right now.. the latter was a huge disappointment to many as it was riddled with problems, and they lost a bunch of time and money with development setbacks of the R51... a niche pistol anyway. They should have just stuck with long guns, and 1911s.

Just look at what's happening to Colt! Even it' other massve holdings are at risk of failing! So sad to see legendary American gun makers falling and failing! And even Winchester is close with its business dealings with Browning and Fabrique National!!!

There is nothing wrong with Colt besides Colt. I'm not sure how they keep pulling that name out if the fire. Remington is just a name, just like Winchester. Various groups like USRAC, Olin, Freedom Group, Cereberus, are the ones holding all the names.

The gun market is a mature market and the number of players, and the ones failing say it is a declining market. Any time you have the number of players in a market that there is in the "general " generic gun market, nobody is going to get sustainable market share. Something has to give at some point in time. Market share gets diluted with every new player in the pool. Especially when it is the price point market.

American manufacturers have historically been slow to react to market pressures and changes, and when the numbers of imports come in and start taking market share, they failed to adapt. The custom gun makers are enjoying the best market, and it is a growth market. The generic price point brands are going to struggle since all they have to compete on it price, and competing on price means you have to keep very tight cost containment, and tight cost containment often means compromises in manufacturing.

We had a container nursery business for a number of years, and could clearly see that the business was way over populated with nurseries and that a shakeout was inevitable. We kept a tight rein on that business, it was not our only business at the time, but one of 3 revenue streams we had. When the sales numbers got to a point that did not justify further production, we bailed on it and only lost about 25K in unsold inventory. Not the best situation, but not the worst either. Others waited too long and lost entire farms and homes.

Looking at how many brands are in various market segments in the gun market, it is a wonder more of them are not in Remington's situation. I am sure there are going to be more to follow.

Reading the article and analysts take, it is more likely they will do a Chapter 11 reorganization than a complete Chapter 13, unless the creditors convince the court that reorganization is not going to work and leave the with a sustainable model going forward. It is going to have to be pared down extremely , and see if they can compete, but unfortunately the economics of scale may prevail here.

Last Edited:
The Silver Tsunami; 10,000 people turning 65 per day.....like a bubble of water flowing down the fire hose (in the cartoons).

The gun industry might be running out of the 80 million customers; who already have most of the firearms they will ever need.

I've been watching the doors slamming shut since the early 70s.

There's going to be a lot more closures before I turn 65 (9 years).

The 770 was the last Remington rifle I will buy from them.

If the gun industry do not come up with something that is appealing to the next surge, more will fail.

I am not a Remington fan. There are so many rifles you can't get parts for repair from Remington they lost me as a customer. I wonder what will happen to thier cartridges?

If the gun industry do not come up with something that is appealing to the next surge, more will fail.

The custom gun makers are doing well. A lot of millennials have already purchased a fair amount of guns. My boys, 4 of them between 30 and 33 have all pretty much purchased most of the weapons they plan to for a while. They are starting families so their gun purchases will certainly be a lot less over the next 20 years. At 60, I have a couple more purchases in mind, but pretty much done with that as I approach retirement.

You are right, a good shake out, a return to quality firearms instead of some for the junk that is out there (sup Tarus?) would help the market a lot.

It won't be the cheap junk companies that fail, it will be the historically good companies that have cheapened their processes over the years to try to stay competitive with the cheap crap...

The gun market is a mature market and the number of players, and the ones failing say it is a declining market. Any time you have the number of players in a market that there is in the "general " generic gun market, nobody is going to get sustainable market share. Something has to give at some point in time. Market share gets diluted with every new player in the pool. Especially when it is the price point market.

American manufacturers have historically been slow to react to market pressures and changes, and when the numbers of imports come in and start taking market share, they failed to adapt. The custom gun makers are enjoying the best market, and it is a growth market. The generic price point brands are going to struggle since all they have to compete on it price, and competing on price means you have to keep very tight cost containment, and tight cost containment often means compromises in manufacturing.

We had a container nursery business for a number of years, and could clearly see that the business was way over populated with nurseries and that a shakeout was inevitable. We kept a tight rein on that business, it was not our only business at the time, but one of 3 revenue streams we had. When the sales numbers got to a point that did not justify further production, we bailed on it and only lost about 25K in unsold inventory. Not the best situation, but not the worst either. Others waited too long and lost entire farms and homes.

Looking at how many brands are in various market segments in the gun market, it is a wonder more of them are not in Remington's situation. I am sure there are going to be more to follow.

Reading the article and analysts take, it is more likely they will do a Chapter 11 reorganization than a complete Chapter 13, unless the creditors convince the court that reorganization is not going to work and leave the with a sustainable model going forward. It is going to have to be pared down extremely , and see if they can compete, but unfortunately the economics of scale may prevail here.

The problem with Remington is that they are now owned by bean counters. I know one of the executives at Cerberus. They are not gun people. They are investment bankers. They don't know or care about guns. Their game plan is to buy a financially troubled company, then cut, trim, and squeeze expenses to make parts of the company appear more attractive, then break up the company and sell off the more valuable pieces.

This is why customer service at Remington/Bushmaster is so abysmal. It's one of the areas where they figure they can save money, and to hell with the company's reputation. I sent a Bushmaster back to the factory for a warranty barrel replacement. After 6 months at the factory, and them telling me that no barrels were available for it every week, I finally told them to send it back and bought my own new barrel.

I am not a Remington fan. There are so many rifles you can't get parts for repair from Remington they lost me as a customer. I wonder what will happen to thier cartridges?

Guns are kind of unique for parts support since they have such a long life time. I worked for a turf equipment manufacturer and they had some units that had no engines and transmissions and were tow behind reel mowers heavily used in the golf course business. They have an extremely long life time and are still in service 55 years later. They require bed knives and some other parts. They have to keep parts for those units in stock, and are approaching 55 years parts support. They make extremely good money on the parts, and their is no incentive for an aftermarket manufacturer to start production.

With guns that last 50 or more years, and all the models they have, to have parts support for all those models would be a horrendous inventory cost with very slow turns. Better to just try and sell you a new model instead of supporting parts. Of course, since they lost you as a customer, they now have the problem of replacing you as a customer and the associated costs with that.

Do you men believe I don't own a single Rem? [I have no love for push feed guns].

I shed all my tears when Winchester shut there doors in the good ol' USA. :(

Yeah, not a push feed fan, either. When I was buying my first bolt action, I looked around a bunch and worked it down to the Winchester Mod 70 Classic and the Ruger 77 MKII. I wasn't opposed to buying a new Winchester until they shut down. After that, it's just a "contract" gun with the Winchester name.

I hated seeing winchester go south. I have been a fan of FN for a long time
I was actually quite happy to see FN pick up the name better than winchester fading off into history.

Their cartridges will be fine as long as they continue to account for ammo, component, and die sales. Remington ammunition and compenents would probably live on just from their monopoly on varmint cartridges like 223 Rem and 22-250 Rem. Hunting cartridges like 25-06 Rem, 7mm-08 Rem, and 7mm Rem Mag are definitely not going anywhere.

The SAUMs, 7mm STW, 8mm Rem Mag, 7mm RUM and 338 RUM might go the way of the dodo someday. New rifles chambered in such are pretty much non-existent as it is.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews