JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello! I need help solving a trigger reset headache with my trusty Glock 19. After I squeeze one off, the trigger gets stuck halfway during reset. It's like my Glock wants to take a nap instead of bouncing back for the next shot. Talk about throwing off my aim and rhythm, ya feel me?

I tried giving the trigger a good cleaning and lubing, thinking some TLC might do the trick. But no dice, my friends. The problem won't quit. This Glock's been reliable, so I'm baffled.

Any of you Glock gurus faced this trigger reset issue? Know what's causing it or any quick fixes I can try? Appreciate your help

1) Any modifications to the pistol ?

It's important to understand how a Glock resets.
Many, many Glock users erroneously think that it's the trigger spring that resets the Glock.
It is not.
It is the firing pin spring that resets the Glock trigger.

On your pistol, I would do a detail clean.
They are easy to fully disassemble if you have never done it.
Don't force anything, don't beat on any pins.....everything comes apart easily if you are doing it right.

One of the most important areas for you to clean is the striker bore and striker assembly.
This area must be clean and dry.....never oil the striker or striker bore in a Glock.
Oil or gunk in the striker bore could cause your issue.

And of course, you are examining all parts as you do your detail clean.

Here's a video that shows the Glock reset (Gen 3 shown)
You can skip to 3:50 if you want.
The guy has made a spring "upgrade" error which degraded his reset.
(6# trigger spring with a 4# striker spring = bad combo)
Therefore, don't stretch any springs and ignore his upgrade/polishing comments and instead focus on his reset demo....

Hey, thanks for chiming in with your expertise, buddy! I really appreciate the insight you shared about how Glocks reset. It's super helpful to know that it's actually the firing pin spring doing the job, not the trigger spring. I love learning new stuff!

As for my pistol, I haven't done any fancy mods to it. It's still rockin' its stock configuration. But your suggestion for a detailed clean sounds like a solid plan. I'm not an expert at fully disassembling Glocks, but I'll take it slow and gentle, making sure I don't force anything or go all Hulk on those pins. Gotta keep it smooth, ya know?

I'll definitely pay special attention to the striker bore and assembly, making sure that area is squeaky clean and dry. No oil in there, got it! Don't want any gunk messing up the works and causing more trouble.

While I'm at it, I'll give all the parts a good once-over, inspecting them closely. Gotta make sure everything's in tip-top shape before putting it all back together.

Check for a broken trigger spring - the little coil toward the back of the frame.

They used to break pretty often.

The only time I ever had a Glock fail was because I polished the trigger bar and disconnect. Then I didn't lubricate the two well enough and they would bind. The disconnect on a Glock is a bar, and it springs inward against its housing. See about the 1:00 part of the video. If these areas are not clean and lubricated well enough, they can bind causing issues related to trigger reset. As others have said, the trigger spring could also be broken, damaged, or filthy. The spring is in a weird place when you think of triggers. It is on the sear block in the rear of the gun. It pulls on the trigger bar using leverage on the rear pin to return the trigger forward. It can also cause poor reset functionality.

1684861060178.jpeg
1684861784498.jpeg

The only time I ever had a Glock fail was because I polished the trigger bar and disconnect. Then I didn't lubricate the two well enough and they would bind. The disconnect on a Glock is a bar, and it springs inward against its housing. See about the 1:00 part of the video. If these areas are not clean and lubricated well enough, they can bind causing issues related to trigger reset. As others have said, the trigger spring could also be broken, damaged, or filthy. The spring is in a weird place when you think of triggers. It is on the sear block in the rear of the gun. It pulls on the trigger bar using leverage on the rear pin to return the trigger forward. It can also cause poor reset functionality.

View attachment 1426185
View attachment 1426188
The trigger spring on a Glock is a trigger pull assist spring.
It pulls the wrong way to be a reset spring.

There is a "tug-o-war" that takes place between the trigger spring and the striker spring during reset.
Glock uses a 5# trigger spring and a 5.5# striker spring to ensure that the striker spring wins and the reset can take place.

It's common for "enthusiasts" to replace the OEM 5# trigger spring with an aftermarket 6# trigger spring because it's an easy way to lessen trigger pull weight. However, reset quality degrades with the 6# trigger spring.
mosinvirus compounded the situation by also changing out the OEM 5.5# striker spring to a 4# striker spring.
So now his striker spring could not overcome the more powerful 6# trigger spring to reset the pistol.

He explains everything above in the video and even mentions "stretching" his striker spring to give it more power.
That, I don't recommend, but it did fix his reset problem even if it was only temporary.
mosinvirus does do a very good job in the video of dispelling the myth that the Glock trigger spring is the reset spring.
The striker spring (firing pin spring) is what resets a Glock trigger.

Last Edited:
The trigger spring on a Glock is a trigger pull assist spring.
It pulls the wrong way to be a reset spring.

There is a "tug-o-war" that takes place between the trigger spring and the striker during reset.
Glock uses a 5# trigger spring and a 5.5# striker spring to ensure that the striker spring wins and the reset can take place.

It's common for "enthusiasts" to replace the OEM 5# trigger spring with an aftermarket 6# trigger spring because it's an easy way to lessen trigger pull weight. However, reset quality degrades with the 6# trigger spring.
mosinvirus compounded the situation by also changing out the OEM 5.5# striker spring to a 4# striker spring.
So now his striker spring could not overcome the more powerful 6# trigger spring to reset the pistol.

He explains everything above in the video and even mentions "stretching" his striker spring to give it more power.
That, I don't recommend, but it did fix his reset problem even if it was only temporary.
mosinvirus does do a very good job in the video of dispelling the myth that the Glock trigger spring is the reset spring.
The striker spring (firing pin spring) is what resets a Glock trigger.
I never stop learning! Thanks for the post.

I never stop learning! Thanks for the post.
No problem.
I learned the Glock reset from Johnny Glocks and mosinvirus videos.
Johnny Glocks goes in-depth and uses the "tug-o-war" analogy.
He's not a fan of the "6# trick" and rightfully so. There are better ways to lessen Glock trigger pull weight.

No problem.
I learned the Glock reset from Johnny Glocks and mosinvirus videos.
Johnny Glocks goes in-depth and uses the "tug-o-war" analogy.
He's not a fan of the "6# trick" and rightfully so. There are better ways to lessen Glock trigger pull weight.
really helpful man

Thanks

View attachment 1426185
View attachment 1426188
Thanks for sharing this. I'm good now

Lovely community here

thanks all

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR