JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
If I were buying in an area that most other people wanted to buy in, that would be true, but I will be buying outside that area - outside of a distance that most people would consider a reasonable commute. Since I am retired, even with people working from home, they do not want to live 60-100 miles away from a city. I do.

Plus, I will be buying land - most people want to buy a property with a house on it, even if they are going to build a new house. In my zoning (FA20 - Forestry Agriculture) you have to get a housing permit (strict requirements to do that on FA land), get a prec test, drill a well if it doesn't have one, and run power to the house site - all of that can easily add $100K to the cost of the land and there is no guarantee that you will get the permit.

You can usually tell if the property is outside a "reasonable commute" distance by the price they are asking - inside the area the prices are double the prices outside the area.
I suspect that since Lumber has tripled in cost that building new houses isn't going to happen and thats why the rush to buy what they can. I wouldn't want to buy bare land to build a house when Lumber is in short supply and $1,500 per thousand board square feet. Wish I had trees to sell at those prices.

I suspect that since Lumber has tripled in cost that building new houses isn't going to happen and thats why the rush to buy what they can. I wouldn't want to buy bare land to build a house when Lumber is in short supply and $1,500 per thousand board square feet. Wish I had trees to sell at those prices.
The plan is to build an ICF house, hopefully earth bermed, the house preferably with steel studs and the shop steel framed or ICF with steel trusses.

Right now the market for timber isn't good because the bottleneck is at the mills, not in the forests - the mills have more timber than they can process because the mills can't get the people.

Its what I really like about this place, some of you guys are really smart. :)
Wisdom comes from experience.

For decades I have thought about wanting earth bermed buildings - both the heat and cooling from the ground temps, and the increased security of having earth and concrete around the building.

Steel and concrete are also good against pests like termites, carpenter ants and rodents. I wasn't aware of how bad these can be in the boonies until I moved here.

We'll see if I can actually follow thru, best laid plans and all that. The thing that is encouraging is the $ I hope to get for my property, and the fact that I am now retired gives me flexibility for the location.

Wisdom comes from experience.

For decades I have thought about wanting earth bermed buildings - both the heat and cooling from the ground temps, and the increased security of having earth and concrete around the building.

Steel and concrete are also good against pests like termites, carpenter ants and rodents. I wasn't aware of how bad these can be in the boonies until I moved here.

We'll see if I can actually follow thru, best laid plans and all that. The thing that is encouraging is the $ I hope to get for my property, and the fact that I am now retired gives me flexibility for the location.
I used to see articles on earth berm houses and even read a little in the Whole Earth Catalog about how to build one. Fascinating the alternatives people could have gone with.

I used to see articles on earth berm houses and even read a little in the Whole Earth Catalog about how to build one. Fascinating the alternatives people could have gone with.
Thing is with earth bermed buildings, you really need to have someone experienced with the process, or you can get all kinds of problems, from mold to leaks to cracks and structural failure. I do have experience living in sub terrain basements - they are cooler in the summer, but they do need to be reinforced and properly sealed & insulated. My current house is well insulated, and it helps, but it would be better if it only had to deal with 40-50* temps in the winter instead of 30-40* temps.

I also would like to have geothermal hydronic radiant floor heat, backed up by solar and a wood furnace. Oregon doesn't allow for wood furnaces - they won't certify them, but there that doesn't mean I can't plumb for one and then install the furnace once the house/shop is built and occupied (after inspection). I am thinking that the shop will be close to the house, close enough that a lot of the mechanical stuff (pumps, wood furnace, solar inverter & batteries, etc.) would be in the shop space. I want the shop floor to be heated too in order to bring the shop temps up to 50-60* in the winter to make working in the shop comfortable and to keep food stored there from freezing in the winter and other things from having to deal with humidity/etc.

Of course, none of this is going to be cheap to do - there will be extra expense - but between selling my property and the kids selling theirs, I hope we can manage it. The goal is to have a secure sustainable property that can function seamlessly when the grid goes down. Shelter, water, power, security and sources of food.

Last Edited:
I suppose I'm looking at it from the buyer end. I have absolutely no way to compete in a market against an entity with a never ending pocketbook and a whole lot of employees paid to find houses and make ludicrous offers on them.
Yeah i agree. Whatever you think about it. We ARE selling out and making it impossible for average people to even entertain the idea of getting a foot hold in life.
Personally i dont see a future i want to live in at this rate.

Yeah i agree. Whatever you think about it. We ARE selling out and making it impossible for average people to even entertain the idea of getting a foot hold in life.
Personally i dont see a future i want to live in at this rate.
My father died in a traffic accident when I was a baby. In a time when there was little the government did to help people my family was cold and hungry for many years. Tough time you really didn't want to live through but i made it.

Today after decades of hard work I have just a comfortable life, a future I never saw when life was hard. I have no idea what the future brings but there is a future and I want to see it.

My father died in a traffic accident when I was a baby. In a time when there was little the government did to help people my family was cold and hungry for many years. Tough time you really didn't want to live through but i made it.

Today after decades of hard work I have just a comfortable life, a future I never saw when life was hard. I have no idea what the future brings but there is a future and I want to see it.
I won't argue that the government social programs don't help people who need it - I've seen it work, even though some abuse it, or at least become dependent on it.

To me, that isn't the issue. The issue is the involuntary taking of assets from someone who earned it and giving it to someone else, whether they need it or not. Charity is voluntary, not mandatory. The Bard said "The quality of mercy is not strained. It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven upon the place beneath."

I give to charities, I help those in need when I can. But I am not responsible for them, so I have no obligation to help them. I did not put them in their situation, so I take umbrage when someone insists that I am somehow responsible and that this somehow justifies taking my hard earned assets and giving them to someone else. It is similar to the concept of "original sin"; that I was born with a responsibility for others. IMO, my only responsibility to them is to not infringe on their rights, including their right to keep what they earn.

I AM responsible for my family. My parents brought me into this world and cared for me until I could care for myself. I brought my daughter into this world, and I have the responsibility to care for her when she cannot. Every $ that is taken from me and given to some stranger, is another $ that I cannot use to care for my family. This is even more acute now that I am on a reduced (by 75%) fixed income.

Thing is with earth bermed buildings, you really need to have someone experienced with the process, or you can get all kinds of problems, from mold to leaks to cracks and structural failure. I do have experience living in sub terrain basements - they are cooler in the summer, but they do need to be reinforced and properly sealed & insulated. My current house is well insulated, and it helps, but it would be better if it only had to deal with 40-50* temps in the winter instead of 30-40* temps.

I also would like to have geothermal hydronic radiant floor heat, backed up by solar and a wood furnace. Oregon doesn't allow for wood furnaces - they won't certify them, but there that doesn't mean I can't plumb for one and then install the furnace once the house/shop is built and occupied (after inspection). I am thinking that the shop will be close to the house, close enough that a lot of the mechanical stuff (pumps, wood furnace, solar inverter & batteries, etc.) would be in the shop space. I want the shop floor to be heated too in order to bring the shop temps up to 50-60* in the winter to make working in the shop comfortable and to keep food stored there from freezing in the winter and other things from having to deal with humidity/etc.

Of course, none of this is going to be cheap to do - there will be extra expense - but between selling my property and the kids selling theirs, I hope we can manage it. The goal is to have a secure sustainable property that can function seamlessly when the grid goes down. Shelter, water, power, security and sources of food.
I'm sure you know this but, your battery bank can off gas and explode if kept in a poorly ventilated confined space. I know of one cell site in Alaska that spontaneously detonated because of this. When planning your shop a cinderblock room with outside exhaust vents in the wall at the floor and ceiling!

I won't argue that the government social programs don't help people who need it - I've seen it work, even though some abuse it, or at least become dependent on it.

To me, that isn't the issue. The issue is the involuntary taking of assets from someone who earned it and giving it to someone else, whether they need it or not. Charity is voluntary, not mandatory. The Bard said "The quality of mercy is not strained. It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven upon the place beneath."

I give to charities, I help those in need when I can. But I am not responsible for them, so I have no obligation to help them. I did not put them in their situation, so I take umbrage when someone insists that I am somehow responsible and that this somehow justifies taking my hard earned assets and giving them to someone else. It is similar to the concept of "original sin"; that I was born with a responsibility for others. IMO, my only responsibility to them is to not infringe on their rights, including their right to keep what they earn.

I AM responsible for my family. My parents brought me into this world and cared for me until I could care for myself. I brought my daughter into this world, and I have the responsibility to care for her when she cannot. Every $ that is taken from me and given to some stranger, is another $ that I cannot use to care for my family. This is even more acute now that I am on a reduced (by 75%) fixed income.
I look at the world and ask what is different. What I came up with is if you really look around you and listen close our government is run by opinion. While the folks in government fill their pockets they still have to mange as politicians do but there are no facts, performance or results in their management. They play side against side with opinions and never achieve making a better world for us. Great world for them with full pockets but filling them screws the population over every day.

You can't run a government on opinions from academics and intellectuals and if you look at the country you can see the outcome of having run it by opinion for decades.

All ready too long to read but people see it or they dont. :s0093:

I'm sure you know this but, your battery bank can off gas and explode if kept in a poorly ventilated confined space. I know of one cell site in Alaska that spontaneously detonated because of this. When planning your shop a cinderblock room with outside exhaust vents in the wall at the floor and ceiling!
Yes, I am aware of the issues with batteries - all too well; I had a battery explode (due to an internal spark caused by a broken terminal) and cover me with acid about 40 years ago - and no, that doesn't explain my looks or baldness (I started going bald in my 20s before the accident). :rolleyes:

I would go with one of the iron flow battery banks if possible.

The idea of having the mechanicals, including batteries, interior to the shop would be to keep them secure and accessible in the case of SHTF. Of course, precautions would be taken to keep it safe - I do intend to have a section of the shop where I will be doing welding/cutting/etc., so that is an issue, not just with batteries, but also other flammables stored/used in a shop setting.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads