JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some fair points, but I still generally prefer oil. It preserves the flesh integrity better over the long haul and more of an inhibitor than water against microbial/bacterial growth. Just considering long term shelf stability.
Not to mention rust resistance, which is a consideration when packed in metal. Mrs. Merkt makes fun of me for liking to buy canned foods in glass, but as many times as I've explained why, I'm not sure she gets it.

Metal cans are supposedly sealed on the inside to resist rust. Some you can see, others may use a clear coat that you cannot see. But I can tell you from personal experience, whatever sealant is used isn't fool proof. Supposedly coated cans will still rust out over time. I've even had coated Mason jar lids rust from the inside out.

Sardines blow tuna out of the water - pun intended - for healthy proteins.
Not to mention the taste. Dead tuna just doesn't fair well in the canning process. Often flavorless and dry... despite the ligiids they are packed in and many brands simply turning to "fragments".

Sardines actually tasting very similar to a fresh brined sardine. Tuna... if you didn't know what it said on the outside of the can... I don't think many could identify it by flavor/texture.

With the caveat.. talking about persons familiar with what fresh fish are supposed to taste like. I've never been able to get used to canned tuna and in SHTF... rather cook up a rat. Maybe not a good comparison though since rat really is fairly tasty.😁

Seems the stores have leeway in pricing.
I went to two. One was 99¢/can, the 2nd store was $1.97/can.
It is only the cans that are near expiration. Most likely some GO's have 'new stock'. They really should make the reason more clear with their isle tags. But kind of happy they haven't or they'd all be sold out. I've never tried, but maybe call the store's phone number and ask specifically if they have the soon to be expiring lots (9/30/23) in stock. After this Saturday they will dispose of any left. Maybe they will be even cheaper end of week if not cleared out.

Unless they were the unexpired/ 9/30 ones they rang those up wrong. When I took my cases up I took the GenZ Spicoli-like kid to verify the price and at first he said .97/EACH and then I told him to get a manager because that was NOT what the shelf tag said.
The manager then confirmed they were 4 for .97 cents, or $2.91 a case.

Spicoli Kid: Damn dude that is a righteous haul there! Sigh. Better than the 'sir' I always get cause I am old haha.
i called and or went to 3 other GO locations today; none had that price.
I was told each location is a private franchise, sets prices differently.
The one at 105 and NE Sandy had none, but did have 50 cases of Folgers Classic roast 25.9 oz size for $1.97 ea!
They were going fast.
Called another store 8-10 miles away, said they had 9 cases, would set them aside for me in the back.
Drove all the way out there and they said "sorry only have 9 CANS left, will sell for $.48 ea".

Reminds me of chasing Powder and Primers, cheap.22 ammo.

It is only the cans that are near expiration. Most likely some GO's have 'new stock'. They really should make the reason more clear with their isle tags. But kind of happy they haven't or they'd all be sold out. I've never tried, but maybe call the store's phone number and ask specifically if they have the soon to be expiring lots (9/30/23) in stock. After this Saturday they will dispose of any left. Maybe they will be even cheaper end of week if not cleared out.
The ones that had some, including the ones i bought yesterday and today, ALL had the same expiration date expiring in a week or so, end of September.

Top notch sardines for under .25 cents a can!! This brand is normally $4+ each. Reason? Expiring on 9/30/23. Personally I could care a less because if they are stored properly will be good for many years.

I bought 96 of them today - they are in qty 12 boxes and will get 5x that next time if still there.

Sardines are just about the best survival food you can eat. The exception is if you get Gout. Sardines are high in purines and not good for those folks.

Probably the best FOOD deal out there. Grab 'em. I mean with these on hand your average human could survive on $1 a day for a while anyway. Excellent source of healthy proteins. Omega 3s. Low in bad things like mercury.

View attachment 1492612
I Guess You didn't see my AD on the BETA Classifieds.

The ones that had some, including the ones i bought yesterday and today, ALL had the same expiration date expiring in a week or so, end of September.
IIRC, I believe wild planet's "exp date" is 3 years from canning. IMHO, that should give you, stored properly, at least 2-4 more years and will remain edible for 5-7yrs past their exp date... if not longer.

Honestly though... who can't eat through a few cases in a year.. or even 2?

Mono1 - link? Old and can't find things hahahaha.

Reacher - focus on Happy Valley then - that is where I have hoarded 15 cartons of 12 so far. I really don't need or have room for more right now.

BTW, I am the crazy person that posted about eating a can of tuna from 1979 last year. It was yummy, less mercury I am sure, plus I lived.

No sir, these were all 9/28/2023, sardines in salt water.

Micro trail lunch setup for day trip BLM shooting excursions. From the bottom right is wakame (dehydrated seaweed), next is a couple tablespoons of dehydrated vegetables (onion, peas, carrots, green bean, bell pepper, celery & tomato flakes), next is just nondairy coffee cream. It was just to illustrate the use of 1oz ingredient tins for portability. Tofu is another common ingredient.

View attachment 1493234
Nice little setup! Do you just buy the dehydrated veg in bulk? I have noodles on overnight hikes in the west side of the cascades. I just bring a water filter, saves alot of weight, and the heat is nice after getting cold! If you like spicey, you should give these a shot, by far my favorite, specifically the "Stew type." I leave about 32 oz of liquid in it while eating. If you cook to their directions its very very spicey, which uses less H20.

Nice little setup! Do you just buy the dehydrated veg in bulk? I have noodles on overnight hikes in the west side of the cascades. I just bring a water filter, saves alot of weight, and the heat is nice after getting cold! If you like spicey, you should give these a shot, by far my favorite, specifically the "Stew type." I leave about 32 oz of liquid in it while eating. If you cook to their directions its very very spicey, which uses less H20.
Yes. In bulk. And the bits are small enough they rehydrate quickly... even in cold water. (Cold soaking is another trail "cook" method I use)

I'm lazy that way though and lack the patience to dice everything so small and dehydrate them myself. I'll admit though... using the same veg blend profile in everything can get old half way through the bulk bag.:D

Working all day today and tomorrow in Beaverton. If I can get there late tomorrow or Thursday for more .97/4 .25cent each ones - I will clear them all out and then share. Disappointed that others have had issues.

Proof that I am not a foodie ..... :s0023: ... delicious bachelor meal !!! Fish surprise! I will already be adapted to SHTF times and clubbing a rat ahead of time!

Dog Bowl Salmon Sardine and Kipper Surprise.JPEG

Oh well, the whole sardine thing is over. GO must have sold out or trashed them.

The GO lady misinformed me that all the stores had the expiring cans at .25 and the shelves would be heavily stocked. Drove my company van there last night, before Saturday expiration, but nothing. Next time a deal like this comes along will buy out the whole store and pay if forward.

GO Shelf.JPEG

To my Western WA peeps; I was driving through Bellevue yesterday so thought i'd stop by that G.O. None of the coveted 4 for .97 cans at that location but they were discounted to .99c per which is still very cheap these days! I prefer oil packed but they only had water. At a fraction of what Amazon sells them for I thought what the hell and bought a couple cases. There were still a dozen+ left on the shelves when I left ...Perfect timing because I did a heavy squat+deadlift session and needed the protein. Quality of fish is good. Not mushy or in pieces or worse from China like cheap brands.
I might try the Everett location or Lynnwood (despite hating that area of Hwy 99) today just to see. The goose chase has been kinda fun.

In the future if I see a deal that good again I drive a van and will just fill it up and share with the folks here.

Had bought the same sardines about two months ago, couple cases at full price, and sure enough they also expired 9/30/23. Which again means very little to me. What I don't eat by 2040 I'll leave outside with a free sign on them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top