JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys -

I just wanted to pass on to you all about an incident that happed to me and my 11 year old last night. We had a wonderful evening as a family, we were have a mommy and daddy date with our eleven year-old as the 16 year old is out on a church trip. We walked the mall went and had a nice dinner at Kowloon's and came home and was watching a movie.

My wife laying on the couch, I'm on the floor playing with the dog and my daughter was sitting and sucking on a push up pop, well unknown to me she had finished up and was having fun pushing the plastic bottom up and down with her breath when all of a sudden she sucked in and the plastic bottom lodged in her throat. She jumped up and let me know through the internationl chocking signal that she was chocking. I am a previous Red Cross instructor and have many hours in the classroom teaching. It happened real fast I remember getting up spinning her away from me putting my arms around her and on the third abdominal thrust the item popped out with a little vomit. The whole event happened in less than 10 seconds. At the time as I thought about it no big deal it was just as I had taught many times, pretty much text book. Of course it was emotional for both my wife and my daughter so there I sat consouling both of them.

So I just wanted to pass on to you all some Red Cross training is very useful, please take a class, I no longer work for them, so I have no dog in the fight other than hoping you all never have to go through this. I plan to keep up my certifications and want to make sure you all hear my story and hope you will go and get trained. You never know when you will need it.

As I sit and reflect on the situation now, I become more emotional knowing that I could of woken up this morning missing one of my family. Please get trained.

Can't agree more and would only add: Stay current with training.

Glad you were able to save your daughter's life AND still have the mindset to console your family through an emotionally difficult event.

20 years ago I was at a News Years Eve and couple with were there and the infant started choking and I had just finished a refresher Military cpr class where they also teach you infant stuff because some many us around a children.

Well I stood said directly and with authority give her to me, I put the beby in position and in arm flipped over and at angle and was getting ready to tap her on the back and just then she coughed it out, must have been the angle being flipped over.

The mother though I had done a miracle and everyone in awe and I really did nothing, but as stated by original poster it happens very quickly and you must be trained and prepared to act quickly and without thought. ever since I re-do my training every few years.

3 days after i certified in cpr first aid training,my wife and i took our 3 month old daughter to boston garden and my wife thought it would be ok to give her,her first taste of solid food so she gave our daughter a bite of a roll and it lodged in her throat and she started turning red.
I did the same hold her along my arm with her throat supported by my hand and head facing at a downward angle,and gave her a few pats on the back and it popped out.
it's hard to watch your child choking and keep your composure but it works just like they train you.

Partially correct, Chest compression only CPR is recommended for people who are unable or unwilling to perform rescue ventilations. Compressions should be at the rate of at least 100 beats per minute.

Remember, infants and children tend to respond better to "traditional" CPR due to their propensity for airway and breathing problems. Chest compression only CPR is at its most effective when dealing with an adult who is in witnessed sudden cardiac arrest..

Another one bites the dust!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR