JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What level of medical training should a person have?

• None

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Care / treatment of minor injuries

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Stabilizing major injuries until professional help arrives

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Care / treatment of major injuries (help isn't coming)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Brain surgery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
It would be prudent for the average person to have completed a basic Red Cross first aid course and have a current CPR certification. Beyond that, unless required professionally, the average person is unlikely to ever use more advanced training, IMO.

ETA: Unless TEOTWAWKI happens, of course

In my opinion, a person should at a *minimum* be able to provide your third level of care ("Stabilizing major injuries until professional help arrives"), while ideally being able to provide longer-term care and treatment for those major injuries, within reason.

There is a reason I have an IFAK in my truck and carry a TQ on me as part of my daily carry.

It would be prudent for the average person to have completed a basic Red Cross first aid course and have a current CPR certification. Beyond that, unless required professionally, the average person is unlikely to ever use more advanced training, IMO.

ETA: Unless TEOTWAWKI happens, of course
I'm gonna say this is the correct and perfect answer. @Cavedweller is either a physician, or very talented and thoughtful practitioner of some type.:

I am trained as an ER physician (don't practice, not up to date). Before I went to medical school, I worked as professional ski patroller, EMT-B. There's a few little things I learned in medical school, that could help me keep someone going a little longer, beyond and above ARC basic training, or EMT-B. A little longer, and only when help was on the way.

There's a lot you can learn above EMT-B, or the fully equivalent ARC basic. But it's not going to make a real difference. The two are functionally equivalent, and without quick support, nothing is.

When I was a professional ski patroller, among much other carnage I saw and addressed, I had a patient die in my hands. I had A LOT of support from the patrol, and bystanders. A bystander - who never stepped in and took over, but did step in to assist - told me he was a physician and I did nothing wrong, nothing he could not have done, never questioned my training or how I executed it. The bottom line - basics work.

The "basics" are the basics. Do them and you will do good, don't know them and you may miss opportunities. But the really key thing is just to be trained to ARC-basic or EMT-B.

So, I absolutely agree w/@Cavedweller.

I also think @papersoldier is correct. There is NO reason we can't teach this to every high school student. Should be a minimum, not something someone has to go out and seek and pay to get 40 (or whatever?) hours of training.

Last Edited:
I also think @papersoldier is correct. There is NO reason we can't teach this to every high school student. Should be a minimum, not something someone has to go out and seek and pay to get 40 (or whatever?) hours of training.
There's also no reason to not teach our
kids basic economics to the point that they understand that one, have to pay back their student loan, and two, never pay off their arts degree with the $15/hr job they'll get.

Major injury training is a nice idea, though us in the real world realize just about nobody percentage wise will put in that kind of effort or be capable of that kind of responsibility. I DO think it's reasonable to expect most people to be able to treat a burn/ non life threatening laceration/ choking, though.

Starting the breathing may need an advanced level of training...

Stopping the bleeding may require an an advanced level of training....

Mad respect to @Oro

I voted for care and treatment of minor injuries.
With that said....

Due to my background , current job and my choice of recreational activities ( hunting , camping , hiking etc )...
I know a bit more than "care and treatment of minor injuries."

So I would say that what level of medical treatment a person knows , should depend on their circumstances / situation.
Andy

I voted for stabilizing major injury until help arrives for precisely this reason:

So I would say that what level of medical treatment a person knows , should depend on their circumstances / situation.
Andy
I used to be big into climbing and mountaineering, including a lot of solo trips. Now I shoot. High risk or higher risk activity brings with it the need to cover greater injuries, if they should happen.

I can pry the top off the can of Bactine and usually spray it on without getting any in my eyes. It's getting the frippin' liner off the Bandaid without getting it stuck to itself that I have trouble with.

I chose stabilizing until help arrives, but it's time for a refresher. If needed, as in no help is coming, I could handle some things I wouldn't be the best qualified for, like stitching medium wounds and keeping bleeding and infection down. I'd still see it as stabilizing until help can arrive.

Threw my vote in as other...

My feeling is that you should train to a higher level than you may find in a normal, ordinary situation.

Get your BLS. Maybe take a wilderness first aid course. Advance from there.... ACLS, PALS...

But it still goes down to the basics that I listed earlier.

First aide is a lot like shooting, a perishable skill. If you don't practice then you won't be good at it. Most won't ever use the training just like most won't ever need to defend themselves with a gun. A gun and first aide are insurance as you travel through life, where will your travels take you?

There's also no reason to not teach our
kids basic economics to the point that they understand that one, have to pay back their student loan, and two, never pay off their arts degree with the $15/hr job they'll get.
That's a darn good alternative reply. Between basic ARC training and later medical school, I did this crazy thing of going to Harvard and studying history and economics. Crazy me, what a waste of money. :)

Basic economics is apparently about as rare as common sense these days. You just need to read the headlines about 10 minutes each morning to realize, almost no one gets that and there is a very, VERY thin line in the Senate keeping up from civilized society vs. 3rd world status. We are about to shift to the latter and it's terrifying.

That's a darn good alternative reply. Between basic ARC training and later medical school, I did this crazy thing of going to Harvard and studying history and economics. Crazy me, what a waste of money. :)

Basic economics is apparently about as rare as common sense these days. You just need to read the headlines about 10 minutes each morning to realize, almost no one gets that and there is a very, VERY thin line in the Senate keeping up from civilized society vs. 3rd world status. We are about to shift to the latter and it's terrifying.
Terror and fear is how the country is run now days...

Now I have that stupid R.E.M. song stuck in my head. :mad:
Crud, now I am going to go loop it. Dang you. Real story - about 1987 my brother and I were bored, went to the 40 Watt club in Athens. Impressive, since I was in Tampa that morning. Didn't meet Peter Buck, but we met his brother.

For giggles, this is the thing. The best of both Glen Campbvell and REM:

And if it snows that stretch down South won't ever take take the strain...

PS: God bless Jimmy Webb...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews