JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hola all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of, or is willing to start, hands-on training with ham radios. From handheld to base stations (mobile and fixed) there's a lot to learn. I've gotten a lot of basics from the interwebs and certain Youtube channels, but I don't think I'm the only one who'd like to do some real-life, hands-on training. I'm not looking for folks to respond with sites and books for getting one's tech license (I've got mine), but with actual opportunities to meet and learn from one another.

Who's first?

I have had my license for about 30 years. It has been several years since I have been on the air. I have an old ICom 2m/70cm hand held in the garage. My buddies and I used to use them to communicate while exploring the logging roads in our off road rigs in my younger days. We figured out how to bounce off of public/free repeaters back then. I never found any strangers interesting to talk to back then so never looked into setting up a base station. I guess striking up conversations with strangers isn't really in my nature.

Last Edited:
I am a relatively 'new' HAM, and just recently upgraded to General.

I have always been interested in shortwave, scanners and used to have a few old receivers but 'back in the day' learning Morse code always kept me from pursuing going any further.

That code requirement was dropped in '96 I believe but my life was different back then and it was not a consideration.

Well, two years ago I met some local HAM operators - one turned out to be a neighbor I had never met - and long story short they invited me to an informational lunch meeting and I attended the local licencing class and got my Technician license.

It's been a good experience for me and I have met some really nice people because of my getting involved.

I would suggest you look into your local area to see if you have an active HAM group or club and if so they will most likely give you all - and probably more - info than you need!

My entry level 'Radio Shack' !

IMG_20220725_092108851.jpg

Last Edited:
I guess striking up conversations with strangers isn't really in my nature.
Well, as long as you have had your license you no doubt know being a bit of a BS'er is kind of a 'requirement' for a HAM - I am - so it's become a natural for me.

In my area all the HAMS are generally very friendly, outgoing people and there is never a dull moment it seems. Lots of get togethers, summer camp out 'field days', pot lucks etc.

NY7D here, been an extra class ham for decades. Love the vintage Heathkit bench.....great stuff..!!

Used to be very active in the Valley Radio Club (Eugene) a long time ago. Did many field days with my buddy's boom truck.....nothing like monobanders at 50' for field day..... :cool:

I just recently went to a CERT meeting here in PDX with some locals and the fire department. Definitely nothing high-speed, but there were a few hams there. I'm in Florida for the next month and my travel plans made me miss a ham get together at a local park. That would have been an opportune time to connect and get some hands-on pointers. Are there any check-ins you hams do?

Are there any check-ins you hams do?
Well, depending on the frequency there are typically 'nets in various areas that have specific check in days and times just to keep in touch.

In LaPine the local HAM group has a daily 'ragchew' at 8 AM every morning, and a 'net check in every Thurs evening at 7 PM on 2 meter on the local repeater.

The PeakNet has several 'nets depending on the day of the week and on 2 meter they have many linked repeaters so it is not unusual to talk to people all over the PNW, CA and other areas.

I just recently went to a CERT meeting here in PDX with some locals and the fire department. Definitely nothing high-speed, but there were a few hams there. I'm in Florida for the next month and my travel plans made me miss a ham get together at a local park. That would have been an opportune time to connect and get some hands-on pointers. Are there any check-ins you hams do?
Ask a few of the hams when the next local club meeting is, they'll be glad to have you there. Checking in, as far as nets go...well, just listen to the net control intro, hop in when allowed, and introduce yourself.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top