JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get a lockable pelican case. Just make sure your ammo is separate from the firearm. I may be wrong but if I remember correctly in California your lock trunk is considered acceptable to hold the firearm and then put the ammo in the glove box. It may have changed though.

I'd like to get a safe for my 1911. We are going though California and want to be in compliance.

This safe works fine. You'll find it sold under lots of different names and it may be available for even less.

I know you said 1911, but in the event you decide to bring something else, remember that magazines in excess of 10 rounds are illegal in Ca.

Also note that it is legal to store a loaded mag in the same locked case as the gun, you just can't have the mag inserted. However, with that said, it's anyone's guess if you'll get a cop who actually knows the law. So it may be best to keep the mag out of the box. To that end, it's perfectly legal to carry a loaded mag on your belt, pocket, etc., or to have it in a dash cubby or something. But obviously if a cop sees it sitting there, you're going to get some questions.

This safe works fine. You'll find it sold under lots of different names and it may be available for even less.

I know you said 1911, but in the event you decide to bring something else, remember that magazines in excess of 10 rounds are illegal in Ca.

Also note that it is legal to store a loaded mag in the same locked case as the gun, you just can't have the mag inserted. However, with that said, it's anyone's guess if you'll get a cop who actually knows the law. So it may be best to keep the mag out of the box. To that end, it's perfectly legal to carry a loaded mag on your belt, pocket, etc., or to have it in a dash cubby or something. But obviously if a cop sees it sitting there, you're going to get some questions.

Bonus on those type, they are TSA compliant. So should the OP wish to fly with a checked handgun in the future, he's all set.

We have carry-on bags we check and wrap the cable around the frame. Those particular bags have Velcro pull-outs to access the bag frame.

Also handy to have in the car/truck if doing business at a courthouse / federal building etc. Standard vehicle stowage applies, never leave anything in plain sight.

Bonus on those type, they are TSA compliant. So should the OP wish to fly with a checked handgun in the future, he's all set.

We have carry-on bags we check and wrap the cable around the frame. Those particular bags have Velcro pull-outs to access the bag frame.

Also handy to have in the car/truck if doing business at a courthouse / federal building etc. Standard vehicle stowage applies, never leave anything in plain sight.
The one downside to the case may be that it is not thick enough to hold a gun and holster together...you have to unholster your gun so it will fit. So consider if that is something that is important to you. The case, however, is thin enough to slide under a number of car seats. :)

You have gotten good advise so far, including a link to CA AG's sumery of gun laws. Pay close attn to what CA considers a "Locked Compartment". They spacificly say do not carry your gun in a glove box or consol, whether it locks or not!
One other odd thing about CA law is , If asked by LE you must give them access to your firearm "To verify it is unloaded". The only place I have ever heard of this comming up is in the San Francisco Bay Area. They are even unfriendly to other LEO's. The bay area towns also ban some HP ammo. So Welcome to CA! If you can avoid the Bay area , the rest of CA has a lot to see and do. In my own area [ exact center of the state, Just south of Yosemite Ntl Park] Most people are conservative, pro personal responsibility, and Pro Gun.
Inside your hotel room , campsite, or RV you have the right to your loaded gun, The same as your home. So enjoy your time here! DR

1624894971127.png 1624894971127.png
This is as secure as any car gun safe.and it doesnt scream gun! I have a couple bolts theough from the inside so no one walks off with it either. Good Luck, DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top