JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's a little bit longer article. The wife's condition was upgraded to serious yesterday. The sheriff's office has received a lot of "angry calls and hate mail."
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article43045458.html
What I find odd is that most of the first stories (like the one above) states that "Yantis' wife, Donna, who reportedly suffered a heart attack after hearing about the shooting" and if you read the comments, you'll see that a guy from about 2 and a half hours north posted

Aaron Boren said:
Kamiah, Idaho
I'd like to know where these newspapers and news reporters are getting there information besides them referring to it as a shoot out with cops which it wasn't they have failed too report the truth , first of all Mrs.Yantis didn't suffer a fatal heart attack after being informed of what happened she was present when jack was shot and killed by officers and suffered a fatal heart attack after officers had handcuffed and threw her and family fiend to the ground where officers then left her to lay untell EMT made it there cause they felt Mrs.Yantis was faking it or the fact that officers had already failed to kill the bull prior to MrYantis showing up as requested by dispatchers , I see people posting all over media site's why did he bring a gun or the open range law needs too be abolished , I don't think the open range law is at question here and as for him having a gun we'll this isn't Cali most Ranchers would have showed up with there gun so the animal could be put down .

and now they are finally saying that she was with him when it happened.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article43224009.html

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article43224009.html said:
Yantis' wife, Donna, had a heart attack Sunday after the shooting. She was with her husband on the highway when the gunfire occurred, family member Beth Paradis said Thursday.

This is why I love my bodycam.....

According to the same story, both officers on scene had bodycams.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article43224009.html said:
Adams County Sheriff Ryan Zollman told the Statesman that there were two body cameras worn by the deputies and one vehicle dash camera at the scene. The dash camera, however, was not even on; Zollman didn't say whether the deputies' body cameras recorded the incident.

This could get really ugly if the family corroborates Aaron Boren's statement and then the two deputies just happened to "forget to turn on their bodycams". We shall see how this plays out.

Ray

This isn't the Idaho shooting
Clues it's Canada....1) lady can't tell a cow from a steer
2) she sounds Canadian eh? 3) there's a Quebec flag on house
4) doesn't know what a gun sounds like.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some similarity.

Also, shows how ineffective a (probably) 9mm pistol is when it comes to putting down a steer (no nuts), which is why the Idaho rancher would have shown up with his rifle.

Last Edited:
PURE speculation here but if he was a known local ,prominent business man,again speculation,my guess is he was trying to TELL the cops what to do and got mad cause they were set on destroying his bull.
That was charging the EMT folks and the crash victims

This 62 yr old rancher was apparently very well known and liked in the local community.

It is reported that the Sheriff's office is being flooded with hate mail and threatening phone calls.

This is a very ugly and tragic incident. Apparently both of the officers involved wore body video cameras. Hopefully there is video of the incident that will clearly show what happened.

It is difficult to understand how this incident managed to take place.

Here is a link to further info:

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
This isn't the Idaho shooting
The only intelligent thing said in the vid is the girl saying "What are they shooting it for?" That was nearly sickening - That animal was posing no threat and just wanting to get clear of people and vehicles. Notice the cops pursuing IT instead of the other way around? Ditto on the bucket of grain OR simply let it go - most steers (and cows) will calm down (especially if they find another herd) and can be captured later. But I suspect those cops were either city boys or just plain scared sheetless and had no idea what they were dealing with. Nothing more than Adrenalin charged fear controlling them at the time.

Zollman says his deputies are familiar with livestock issues.

"I do not have an officer that works here on the road that has not either grown up on a ranch or owned livestock himself," he said.
Doesn't mean they knew anything about how to deal with this situation.
I think this will come to light in about 2 months or more

Heck I was coming home a couple weeks ago and some locals had about 10 bovine traveling down the hiway. A 65mph zone. They were herding them home but there wasn't any problems,nobody called any cops.
Kinda a regular thing out side cities.

Last Edited:
Now is that worth your life and leaving your family or wife alone?
Not at all. Most of us have known someone who has lost a significant portion of their income - or maybe all - but most likely did not resort to a gun to protect it so I side with the possibility he came with he gun to put it down
You're right on that one.Rancher should have been looked on as a helping hand not a foe
Should have yes - but showing up with a gun in the presence of LEO these days is most likely not going to help at all - and probably not going to end well. I maintain my original position of that being the rancher should have stood fast, said nothing and pursued it legally later.

Not at all. Most of us have known someone who has lost a significant portion of their income - or maybe all - but most likely did not resort to a gun to protect it so I side with the possibility he came with he gun to put it down

Should have yes - but showing up with a gun in the presence of LEO these days is most likely not going to help at all - and probably not going to end well. I maintain my original position of that being the rancher should have stood fast, said nothing and pursued it legally later.
Knowing he may have to put down an injured bull, the rancher that showed up without a rifle would be the epitome of irresponsibility. Trusting "someone else" to do it is not something anyone on a ranch is comfortable with. The deputies should have known that.
It seems to be a new day where people are simply not allowed to take care of things the way they should in the presence of police.
However, not yet knowing the details, I will withhold judgement.

If it were me, I would prefer if the rancher showed up and we had a little pow wow over what should be done. If he wants to shoot it, great. No firearm discharge paperwork for me.

Then again, if the bull was being aggressive toward the responders trying to get the injured people out of the car, I would have to weigh in the risk to the motorists and responders in my decision to wait to have the pow wow or if these people needed out right then or they could die.

Im sure it took some time for the rancher to get there. If the bull was a real imminent threat, it should already have been dead. If it wasnt dead by then, I'm curious as to why it would have to be shot unless it was injured to the point it wasnt going to heal, at the ranchers discretion. All of those decisions take a couple seconds to talk about and surely wouldnt cause a gunfight.

Im really interested to see that footage.

Except the deputies were no better equipped to put the bull down than the canucks in the video above. If they were truly familiar with livestock (like the sheriff claims) they would have known that, and welcomed the first guy to show up with a rifle.
The notion of putting down an excited bull that's running around with people present, using a .40 or 9mm pistol is ludicrous and a recipe for disaster. Regardless of how anyone feels about killing animals, if it must be done most would agree that it needs to be done as humanely as possible. That doesn't mean 20 rounds from a pistol designed to stop people.

Then there's the distinct possibility that putting the bull down was not the only viable option.
It's just a Gawd-Damned shame the deputies felt that putting down the rancher was a viable option.

Except the deputies were no better equipped to put the bull down than the canucks in the video above. If they were truly familiar with livestock (like the sheriff claims) they would have known that, and welcomed the first guy to show up with a rifle.
The notion of putting down an excited bull that's running around with people present, using a .40 or 9mm pistol is ludicrous and a recipe for disaster. Regardless of how anyone feels about killing animals, if it must be done most would agree that it needs to be done as humanely as possible. That doesn't mean 20 rounds from a pistol designed to stop people.

Then there's the distinct possibility that putting the bull down was not the only viable option.
It's just a Gawd-Damned shame the deputies felt that putting down the rancher was a viable option.

Dont know what kind of deputies you hang out with, but they have shotguns, rifles, bigger rifles......

Last Edited:
Dont know what kind of deputies you hang out with, but we have shotguns, rifles, bigger rifles......
I don't know how many 1200+lb animals you've put down, but if they aren't standing still in a chute, leave your .223, your 12 ga with #4 buck, and your .40 at home or you'll be there awhile.
Furthermore, a wounded 1200lb animal is even more dangerous, so don't make things worse by underestimating the power of the animal, or overestimating the power of your guns.

As a matter of fact, if you don't have at least a 30-30 in your hands, please go set out some flares, direct traffic, calm the impatient motorists and in general, leave the important stuff to the people with experience and the right tools.
Only a fool drives nails with a crescent wrench.

I once failed - with the first shot from a .45 ACP - to be able to put down a porcupine that someone had run over. Do not underestimate what it takes to put down an animal. They may use a .22 or a pistol in slaughterhouse (they usually use a bolt gun) to put down cattle for slaughter, but it doesn't always work.

Exactly! Multiple rounds in the body shows the height of ignorance by the cops in that vid! It wasn't charging anyone - just some trigger happy police that 'done gradeated' from 'the academy'.
X from the ears to eyes on the forehead to scramble the brain is the quickest and most humane way for large animals. Forget your deer hunting targets. The rancher would know that, but not necessarily the police on scene - and certainly not the ignorant clowns in that video.
I've had to put down several horses over the last 28 years and a .45 to the X is instant with only leg reflex for a few seconds. But that's with them usually pretty calm and dang near point blank range.
With a bull, that's possibly stirred up, nothing less than a .30 caliber rifle to the X. Should be pretty instant.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top