JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would be nice to know more details. Myself Having served two weeks on a shooting inquest to see whether or not the officer was justified in killing a kidnapper lots of things in play. Lots of LEOS seem ready to shoot these days but then that may just be because of the internet every incident gets played up. Crappy day all round... and rifles can be pretty intimidating removing the "safety margin" of a ballistic vest.

Brutus Out

Its really interesting what the media has done to the LE community. LOD deaths by aggressive action are actually way down, but coverage is at an all time high. Its almost like the media wants LEOs to be spooked and/or encourage idiots to be aggressive toward LE.

I understand that media wants to show police that people arent happy, it raises awareness. But, there are some unintended consequences with the way things are covered.

From my experience, growing up fairly rural and doing a lot of traveling in the open country of UT, ID, MT, WY, NV, prize bulls aren't generally left to open range. Though I don't know if ranchers let them roam during breeding season. Seems like they'd be asking for trouble from cars, wolves, coyotes etc.

^^^^This! A very valid point! I knew a lot of ranchers/farmers growing up, and every one of them pampered and guarded their stud bulls more than their wives!

From my experience, growing up fairly rural and doing a lot of traveling in the open country of UT, ID, MT, WY, NV, prize bulls aren't generally left to open range. Though I don't know if ranchers let them roam during breeding season. Seems like they'd be asking for trouble from cars, wolves, coyotes etc.
True but - that doesn't mean they don't get out occasionally. I've called a neighboring rancher once or twice over the years because a few had escaped the fence and were along the highway.

We had a very nice reg. Black Angus bull for a long time. Black Cap Prince was his reg. Name. He came to us at 2 years old with the nickname of Satan...which fit him to a T. When cows were in heat he would get excited and charge right through 4 tight strands of barbed wire and two strands of electric. He bred many a our cows and few locals who didn't ask for it as well. He put a capital O in ornery.
Worth several thousand 40 years ago.
Brutus out.

Open Range! Highway 95 one of the few North-South highways in Idaho. Subaru in a hurry to get somewhere. What was the speed limit? Did it matter or does it matter if you are in a hurry? Having had many near misses with domestic livestock and wildlife and having had to put down more than a few that were injured, the incident is a sad reminder of the urbanization of the rural landscape. One should always be aware that dark colors of animals on blacktop highways at night should be reason enough to NOT overdrive your lights! The south end of an animal is not reflective!

So it's between the EMTs and the Sheriff's deputy as to what the story will be?
I wonder what the folks in the car saw.Probably only one end of the exchange and not really paying any mind till the shots went off
This isn't the cop from seattle that shot the carving man is it?o_O

A very stressful situation but then cops and EMTs are supposed to remain calm in stressful situations. The way some of these shootings are going these days you have to wonder if the public will get the real truth. Where's the ambulance chasing attorney with a high res cell phone camera when you need him. Sounds like the rancher was a decent dude but could be previous beef with sheriff on open range. Which, by the way I defend. Obey the dammmm traffic signs. A real tragedy, for sure.
Brutus out

True but - that doesn't mean they don't get out occasionally. I've called a neighboring rancher once or twice over the years because a few had escaped the fence and were along the highway.

That goes without saying, for sure!

A bunch of unusual happenings came together all at once ending with something terrible. :(

Sounds like a Mexican standoff to me.
Rancher declaring that if anyone touches his bull, will be shot and the sheriffs department telling him to put his weapon down and get out of the way while they proceed to put down the bull.
Guns drawn and tensions running high. All it takes is a sudden move by the bull towards the responders.

I was just face to face with a bull in open range area during bow season in the mountains, they are out there. Seen a couple last year as well. And while firewood cutting while growing up we would see them often. The only thing a bull has to worry about is a car. A whole pack of wolves wouldn't mess with a mature open range bull not for long anyway.
When in open range it is the drivers responsibility to drive accordingly.

Well, let's see. The sheriffs' deputies want to deprive me of a significant portion of my income for the next 5+(?) years, for (possibly) no reason other than their fear and inconvenience.
AND: Cost me thousands of dollars in replacement costs to restore that income.

What do I do?
Yeah, I'm afraid I would have been confrontational too. Enough to take multiple rounds from the deputies? That's up to the deputies. They obviously didn't do their part to defuse the situation either.

I hope I never have to find out, but yeah, I can see the possibility.

First responders are supposed to be calm, but in my experience (USCG SAR), when people start yelling, people start getting excited and/or unsure of what to do. That is why our coxswains would always yell and act excited with new crew - to get them used to it and see how they respond under stress - it took some a little while to learn how to handle it and not everybody could.

A very stressful situation but then cops and EMTs are supposed to remain calm in stressful situations.
That's a great idea if you are from a farm and know how to handle a rattled bull but if you have your head in a car trying to help someone it could be hard to keep cool.
Well, let's see. The sheriffs' deputies want to deprive me of a significant portion of my income for the next 5+(?) years, for (possibly) no reason other than their fear and inconvenience.
AND: Cost me thousands of dollars in replacement costs to restore that income.

What do I do?
Yeah, I'm afraid I would have been confrontational too. Enough to take multiple rounds from the deputies? That's up to the deputies. They obviously didn't do their part to defuse the situation either.

I hope I never have to find out, but yeah, I can see the possibility.
Now is that worth your life and leaving your family or wife alone? Or the lives of the injured folks in the car? They may have internal bleeding or such.
I may be pissed but I hope I would take a second to think of the outcome,who's lives are going to be bubblegumed up by my anger
And I said it as a joke but these cops seemed to have gotten scared fast when the rancher showed up with the rifle.I mean it wouldn't be uncommon to see a person with a rifle over here
And I' guessing it was to put the bull down if it was necessary not to confront the leo with

That's a great idea if you are from a farm and know how to handle a rattled bull but if you have your head in a car trying to help someone it could be hard to keep cool.

Now is that worth your life and leaving your family or wife alone? Or the lives of the injured folks in the car? They may have internal bleeding or such.
I may be pissed but I hope I would take a second to think of the outcome,who's lives are going to be bubblegumed up by my anger
And I said it as a joke but these cops seemed to have gotten scared fast when the rancher showed up with the rifle.I mean it wouldn't be uncommon to see a person with a rifle over here
And I' guessing it was to put the bull down if it was necessary not to confront the leo with
So, adding to the confusion, mayhem and fear by shooting the rancher helped the bleeding victims in the car how?
The rancher was the person on the scene with the most experience dealing with cattle, and was best equipped to deal with the bull, whether he shot it or not, and ol' depity dawgs took him out.
That's a decision and action taken far too often by police agencies these days.

Cooler heads should have prevailed, and IMHO, that should have been LE.

Last Edited:
You're right on that one.Rancher should have been looked on as a helping hand not a foe
Bad thing is,we don't even know what the rancher was doing with the rifle
Was it just in his hand and someone got all skeered? (my opinion)
Ranchers are usually all business. He may have ignored the cops cause he saw what needed to be done.
Or was he actually pointing the thing at someone

It'll definitely be interesting to see what pans out from the investigation. If the deputies are found in the wrong, does anyone think they'll be prosecuted?
Over here? Depends on where the rancher and the cop stood with the Prosecutor.
The cop probably won't have the huge union ,like in the big cities,to tell everyone how he was just doing his job.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top