JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
but showing up with a gun in the presence of LEO these days is most likely not going to help at all

Heck when I got in my accident in Montana,I told the stater I had two loaded weapons in the truck I would like to retieve. He looked at me kinda funny and said yeah everybody out here does
It is not unusual for a vehicles to have guns.The cops,if they were from a ranch like their sheriff said should have been cool with this ...AS THEY CALLED HIM.
But I agree with the rest of your post saying the farmer should have listened and maybe put the gun back
Knowing he may have to put down an injured bull, the rancher that showed up without a rifle would be the epitome of irresponsibility. Trusting "someone else" to do it is not something anyone on a ranch is comfortable with. The deputies should have known that.
It seems to be a new day where people are simply not allowed to take care of things the way they should in the presence of police.
However, not yet knowing the details, I will withhold judgement.
Again,they called him and should have known he would bring a gun.

I don't know how many 1200+lb animals you've put down, but if they aren't standing still in a chute, leave your .223, your 12 ga with #4 buck, and your .40 at home or you'll be there awhile.
Furthermore, a wounded 1200lb animal is even more dangerous, so don't make things worse by underestimating the power of the animal, or overestimating the power of your guns.

As a matter of fact, if you don't have at least a 30-30 in your hands, please go set out some flares, direct traffic, calm the impatient motorists and in general, leave the important stuff to the people with experience and the right tools.
Only a fool drives nails with a crescent wrench.

Once again, Im blessed with the experience to not have to guess in the matters of killing large things. Im also blessed with the wares to do such things. It pays to be prepared when you work in a rural county where animal related issues are fairly common.

Terminology

Cow - a female bovine
Steer - a castrated male bovine
Bull - a male bovine

My understanding is that this incident involved a bull, not a steer, not a cow.
Did you know that a bull closes it's eyes just before they hit what they charge and a cow does not? Trivia

So, we have a bull (now was it actually a bull or a steer? Did someone look?) that just got hit by something and is pissed. He is ,supposedly,charging the EMTs and the crash victims.
If this is right,the animal should have been put down. IF the cops didn't know how to divert it.
If it was still alive when farmer got there,the LEO should have let him handle the animal and left the rest alone

If a nearby cow was in heat (estrous) that bull would be in a different frame of mind and that could have been an issue at the time of the accident.

Sad and sick, and about what I expected.
But it still won't surprise me if nothing of consequence happens to those deputies.
Zero, zip, zilch, nada.

Go home, nothing to see here folks. Move along please. -- ISP.

Sad and sick, and about what I expected.
But it still won't surprise me if nothing of consequence happens to those deputies.
Zero, zip, zilch, nada.

Go home, nothing to see here folks. Move along please. -- ISP.
Pretty much what I thought. Farmer has gun ignore cops that are young and don't know what they are doing.They get scared or pissed that the 'big time ' powerful farmer thinks he doesn't have to listen to them and has a gun.
My guess is that something very consequential has already happened to these two in the fact that they won't have much of a career in that county,they will be civil sued by the family,as will the county sheriff's department.
Not sure I would want to patrol that county,especially at night.

But the big problem with that article,or maybe the family's saving grace?, is that the cops can't have a fair trial there now with those statements put out. Kinda taints the jury no?
I'm sure they put it out to get the public pushing for a trial of some kind

If what's said here is anywhere close to exact, I'll tell ya', those deputies may have gown up on ranches or in ranch country, but there's no way in hell they were ranchers of any kind!

This is heartbreaking....

Last Edited:
Still wanna see the body cam.
Something tells me that may never happen. For the most part I believe most LE depts want those for the times they support the officer's accounting of events.
If the family's account is substantiated by the BC footage, I seriously doubt we'll ever see it. Up-close and personal evidence of police wrongdoing tends to fire-up the locals (subjects), making policing even more difficult.

If it's as bad as I suspect it is, it may end up being used in officer training curriculum as an example of what NOT to do, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Something tells me that may never happen. For the most part I believe most LE depts want those for the times they support the officer's accounting of events.
If the family's account is substantiated by the BC footage, I seriously doubt we'll ever see it. Up-close and personal evidence of police wrongdoing tends to fire-up the locals (subjects), making policing even more difficult.

If it's as bad as I suspect it is, it may end up being used in officer training curriculum as an example of what NOT to do, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

It will be a part of discovery. If the shoot is bad, and the Sheriff wants a slim chance of keeping his job (politicians always do), he'll release that footage and throw the boys under the bus.

It will be a part of discovery. If the shoot is bad, and the Sheriff wants a slim chance of keeping his job (politicians always do), he'll release that footage and throw the boys under the bus.
I think his decision to have the state police handle this whole investigation was his move to make. He takes himself out of the situation.
But if there's history, he's not going to get re-elected.

Yeah, the Sheriff is saying that he's having ISP investigate but I'm thinking it's not even remotely his choice. When law enforcement gets investigated SP gets the job. Unless SP is being investigated!
This whole nightmare is both fantastic and saddening! Next time, time after, down the road. Some deputies, somewhere, are going to get the shmit shot out of them. Heaven help us all when that happens!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads