Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rancher/Sheriff Idaho shooting

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Oregonhunter5, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Weird....

3. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I just read that in the Times News (Twin Falls) Crazy thing. I assume the rancher must have made a stand to protect his animal and paid the price. No one wins.

4. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Clearly things escalated. I agree with Monster. Rancher was probably trying to keep the bull from being destroyed. It possibly was worth more than the Subaru. Deputies were likely not interested in an argument in the middle of the road.

Sad.
    Brutus Out.

5. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

Really sad situation. Especially in a situation where everyone in the community knows each other.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  6. MEP1000

MEP1000 Milwaukie Active Member

Very tradgic event

7. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

PURE speculation here but if he was a known local ,prominent business man,again speculation,my guess is he was trying to TELL the cops what to do and got mad cause they were set on destroying his bull.
    That was charging the EMT folks and the crash victims

8. Stomper

If that was the case... People (most of them anyway) before animals.

9. mjbskwim

Unless you're an arrogant prominent rancher and it's your $3k animal
    Again speculation,but who else would pull a gun on cops over a bubbleguming bull?

Stomper likes this.
  10. Stomper

Perhaps... It'll be interesting to see what pans out.

11. No_Regerts

I wouldn't want to speculate too much, it could be any number of things that caused this. I once had a very close encounter with a man who was hearing impaired and it could have ended very badly had there not been somebody to let us know that he couldn't hear my directives.

12. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

"Unless you're an arrogant prominent rancher....Again speculation, but who else would pull a gun on cops over a bubbleguming bull?"

My speculation would be that he showed up with a rifle fully expecting he'd have to put down a suffering, badly injured bull. Then. things went off the rails when it didn't need to be put down due to its injuries and there was a disagreement over the need to shoot it as a threat, and they wouldn't let him near to see if a familiar person would maybe calm it. Given the propensity for some cops to shoot a barking dog behind a fence as a threat, I wonder how much of a threat it actually was?

Whatever the final determination, my assumption wouldn't be to call the deceased man arrogant simply because he was a prominent rancher any more than I'd assume the cops to be arrogant because they wear uniforms. Perhaps if they had allowed the experienced stockman to try to remove the threat, things would have turned out better.

What I do know is that fear can make otherwise reasonable people real stupid real fast, and I am fairly certain that those cops were a whole lot more afraid of that injured bull than the rancher was.

Whatever the end story, my prayers go out to his family, friends, and to his wife in the hospital.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  13. mjbskwim

Well if a deaf man doesn't know to put a gun down when the cops come,I don't know what to say.or was he blind?
    The animal was charging the EMTs and the crash victims,or that's the story at least.
    I would be major pissed if LEO shot my dog but I'm not stupid enough to point a gun at a cop for it.If it was free range he get's paid for the beef. If not his home owners should be able to take care of the accident.
    Either way,just put your gun down when the cops come
    IN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES :cool:

14. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

Been There Did Not Like the results when it went South, But Tarnation, in a Crisis, Small Towns Rule!!!

philip

15. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Some of those prize bulls can go six figures easy. Their "seed" can go 5k and up a shot. Not worth getting shot over, just saying.

Redcap, Brutus57 and Medic! like this.
  16. mjbskwim

He was at 200k already for pointing the gun or not responding to the leo's commands and having the gun. maybe he said WTF?
    Everyone has bad days. Unfortunately this 'prominent rancher' had his last.
    I'm sure the officers involved won't be the favorites around that neighborhood for a bit

coyotecaller likes this.
  17. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

HUH, what did ya say? That is my worry because cops normally bark out orders really fast. Even though I'm dang near deaf with one hearing aid even loud noises hurt my ears and talking is like Charlie Brownso teacher..... I rely on a little sound, lip reading and body posture. God help that this ole rancher had a hearing impairment....:(

coyotecaller likes this.
  18. No_Regerts

That would really suck.

coyotecaller and Caveman Jim like this.
  19. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

According to a large cal friend that's known him his whole life, there's been tensions building between the cops and the locals for a while.

20. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

It does suck.

I have problems with people yelling and talking fast too.

Then there are those people who talk really softly.

Add in an accent and they have to repeat themselves quite often.