JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Without spending a whole bunch of time I wanted to throw together a inexpensive AR. This is what I came up with.

PSA 16" mid length 1/8 5.56 Upper. $199 shipped
PSA Phosphate BCG $69 shipped
PSA classic LPK W/Tele stock $74 Shipped
Anderson Lower from Aim Surplus $39 shipped
Surplus GI handle $14 + $4 shipping eBay
Take off charging handle free

So basically $399. I bet you could do better if you waited for some sales and took your time.
And I dont feel like any of this is cut rate crap. I think its a solid rifle that will put a lot of rounds down range.

I was hoping to get others to post their cheap builds. Maybe make it kind of a resource for folks looking to build a low buck rifle.

Lets see what you have done?

View attachment 109707
Have links for build parts but with the stainless upper you mentioned?
Would be greatly appreciated. :)

$490 dollars for a 16" shooter in 5.56 with a 13" free float hand guard.

Stripped Bushmaster lower from Brownell's for $50 and then a complete 16" build kit from Alpha Shooting Sports for $440.

<broken link removed>

$490 dollars for a 16" shooter in 5.56 with a 13" free float hand guard.

Stripped Bushmaster lower from Brownell's for $50 and then a complete 16" build kit from Alpha Shooting Sports for $440.

<broken link removed>

That's pretty darn good. My "disspator" upper just showed up today (Thanks for the heads-up, IM!). With the $100 BCG w/ charging handle, a $50 lower that I filled out with a $30 LPK and "match" trigger on sale for $50 (CMMG? I forget) and a buffer, tube and buttstock left over from an upgrade of a previous rifle, I'm in at just over $500 including tax and shipping. Now I have to go pry a rear sight off of something to test it... :) I'm already liking the extra reach of the longer forend and looking forward to the longer sight radius. I'll probably rack up another $200 when I get tired of the trigger and upgrade it, but for now it's the little rifle that could. Oh, and if it behaves itself I'll probably treat it to a rear MBUS or match iron of its own, so there's another $40.

It's difficult to beat some of the Black Friday deals going on right now for completed rifles.

S&W M&P-15 Sport.... $499
KGC 16" 5.56..... $480 shipped
Bushmaster XM-15...... $525
DPMS Panther Low Pro.... $430

E

How many of you caught the Palmetto State Armory F/A BCG's for $49.99 on Christmas Eve?

I blasted out a text to a bunch of my buddies when I saw it and then hit the order button. Those who waited too long were out of luck. PSA sold out in less than an hour.

E

If you can do Lego Blocks, you can do an AR. :p
Most of the time if something is wrong, the OP wasn't paying attention, hammer spring
backwards, gas tube dragging, springs & detentes that pop out and go missing. Then there's
the infamous...I broke the casting where the trigger guard attaches.:eek:
Get past these and you're good to go.;)

Later if you'd like, we can go through reloading, and why that cartridge is stuck, wont go off
and wont extract.:( Still not rocket science....You can do it.:D

Currently you could do a Stainless 1/7 mid length with a Magpul MOE for $249. A better deal than I got with the plain jane $199 unit.

<broken link removed>

IronMonster,

Congratulations... this thread has inspired me to start my own budget build! However, since it's been a few months since this thread started many of the parts in your original recipe are not available or prices have changed.

Couple of questions:

1. The upper w/ stainless barrel and MOE handguard appears out of stock (linked above). I really like that deal. In your experience does these deals come back?
  2. Excluding that stainless option, the rest of the uppers all looks the same. As far as I can tell they all have the same 16" barrel and plastic handguard. What is the difference between PTAC and PSA? I'm tempted to get <broken link removed> just because I read somewhere that PTAC was junk. Your thoughts on this? Is the PSA blem for $239 worth $40 more than the $199 PTAC?
  3. For a basic AR that doesn't have a quad rail, I really prefer the look of the Mapgul handguard, which is available separately for $25. However, I notice that <broken link removed> for the upper w/ the Magpul; that's about a $75 premium over the $239 PSA blem upper (adjusted for the fact that the Magpul upper includes a flip up sight). What am I missing? Would the Magul hardguard be difficult to put on that $239 PSA blem upper?
  4. I like the idea of a nickel boron BCG? But in order to keep the price down, it looks like <broken link removed> is the best option. What are you thoughts on that vs. <broken link removed> in your recipe?
  5. If I stick with a black BCG, is the premium unit worth the $20 extra?
  6. What's a decent trigger without having to spend Geissele or Timney money? I've shot enough mil spec to know I'm not interested anymore. Even though this is a budget build, I'm willing to spend a little more for a decent trigger. But it seems there's nothing out there for less than $150. Any advice here?
  7. Is PSA the only online source for budget AR15 parts? I've checked Spikes but it's quite a bit more expensive. Where else can I look?

Thanks!

Is PSA the only online source for budget AR15 parts? I've checked Spikes but it's quite a bit more expensive. Where else can I look?

Thanks!

No, PSA is not the only option.

Go here:

Slickguns is a supporting vendor on this site. Go to the website and click the tab that says "AR Deals" and browse till your checking account runs dry.

New deals pop up hourly and occasionally have a very short window of opportunity, such as the BCG's that I found on Christmas Eve.

E

Do some searching and reading, then clean up a stock trigger yourself. It isn't that hard to do and can yield amazing results. Polish the surfaces, some JP springs, lighten the hammer, install a pre-travel screw, and you'll be surprised just how good that crappy trigger becomes. Should cost you all of $20 and you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself, plus you'll have a much better understanding of how things work.

Ok IXFE

Here are a couple answers.

1. The upper w/ stainless barrel and MOE handguard appears out of stock (linked above). I really like that deal. In your experience does these deals come back?

It seems to be kind of a crap shoot on whether the PSA uppers come back into stock at the same price or even at all. I think they offer a lot of runs of uppers that are just assembling what piles of parts they happen to be heavy on at the moment. I think that the Dissapator uppers where popular at one point but not so much currently. Honestly I would not wait for something thinking it might just be a week or two and it comes back in stock. I have bought a number of uppers that I have never seen offered again.
  1. Excluding that stainless option, the rest of the uppers all looks the same. As far as I can tell they all have the same 16" barrel and plastic handguard. What is the difference between PTAC and PSA? I'm tempted to get <broken link removed> just because I read somewhere that PTAC was junk. Your thoughts on this? Is the PSA blem for $239 worth $40 more than the $199 PTAC?

Personally I think the PTAC stuff has got a reputation for being junk simply because its so cheap that it must be junk right? I have a lot of PSA uppers ( maybe 8 or 10?) and I am happy with all of them, I only have one PTAC but it shoots great and I cant find a thing wrong with it. That being said if you can snag a PSA on closeout or sale for the same kind of money as the PTAC I would grab it simply because I think they are a step up and likely will have better resale value (but I would not be scared of the PTAC stuff based on what I have seen.

1. For a basic AR that doesn't have a quad rail, I really prefer the look of the Mapgul handguard, which is available separately for $25. However, I notice that <broken link removed> for the upper w/ the Magpul; that's about a $75 premium over the $239 PSA blem upper (adjusted for the fact that the Magpul upper includes a flip up sight). What am I missing? Would the Magul hardguard be difficult to put on that $239 PSA blem upper?

The Blem is a discounted price, That $75 premium is not a apples to apples comparison. I would by the Blem upper and simply add the Magpul handgaurd, and no its a very simple 2 minute job to swap them out.
  1. I like the idea of a nickel boron BCG? But in order to keep the price down, it looks like <broken link removed> is the best option. What are you thoughts on that vs. <broken link removed> in your recipe?
I think in this case for the extra $20 I would go with the PTAC NIB BCG. I have a number of NIB bolt carriers and it does make cleaning them easier. The gunk wipes off, I think its worth the $20 at least. Bolt groups are one of those things that I think its worth spending money on rather than buying the cheapest thing you can find. I have pretty much all the flavors you could think of though ( Black Nitride, Nickel Boron, 4140, S7, C158) And I have never really had one that seemed like it was worse than any other. I have BCG that I paid $49 for and some that I paid $299 for and they both work.

1. If I stick with a black BCG, is the premium unit worth the $20 extra?
I think that is a tougher call actually, I have both the premium PSA and the cheapie and I cant tell any difference. That does not mean there is, but I cant tell.
  1. What's a decent trigger without having to spend Geissele or Timney money? I've shot enough mil spec to know I'm not interested anymore. Even though this is a budget build, I'm willing to spend a little more for a decent trigger. But it seems there's nothing out there for less than $150. Any advice here?
Honestly on this count I dont have much imput. I have one AR with a CMC single stage trigger and there is no doubt it is a vast improvement over stock. However I have never monkeyed with the factory trigger trying to improve it. Ive always just put up with what ever it was. One thing you need to be really aware of if you take jbett98's advice to try and improve it is that all the trigger parts are only case hardened. The way they are heat treated only the surface of the parts are hard. If you file or stone even a few thousands into the parts the material underneath will be much softer and wear much faster I do know t hat Geisele's wife has a company that sells hand picked mil spec triggers that are about $50 which I have heard good things about.

ALG defense is her company's name.
  1. Is PSA the only online source for budget AR15 parts? I've checked Spikes but it's quite a bit more expensive. Where else can I look?
There are a lot of places that you can find odd's and ends, The slickguns suggestion is a good resource . The thing with PSA is they are big and usually have just about anything you could want. They are not the only name in the book. I have bought some Ares Armor stuff recently that was a great deal. I have had good luck with Red X arms. Ive bought stuff from AIM Surplus Even once in a while Brownells has some great deals.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your project!

No, PSA is not the only option.

Go here:

Slickguns is a supporting vendor on this site. Go to the website and click the tab that says "AR Deals" and browse till your checking account runs dry.

New deals pop up hourly and occasionally have a very short window of opportunity, such as the BCG's that I found on Christmas Eve.

E
Was redbarn mentioned?
http://www.redbarnarmory.com/

Ok IXFE

Here are a couple answers.

It seems to be kind of a crap shoot on whether the PSA uppers come back into stock at the same price or even at all. I think they offer a lot of runs of uppers that are just assembling what piles of parts they happen to be heavy on at the moment. I think that the Dissapator uppers where popular at one point but not so much currently. Honestly I would not wait for something thinking it might just be a week or two and it comes back in stock. I have bought a number of uppers that I have never seen offered again.
  1. Excluding that stainless option, the rest of the uppers all looks the same. As far as I can tell they all have the same 16" barrel and plastic handguard. What is the difference between PTAC and PSA? I'm tempted to get <broken link removed> just because I read somewhere that PTAC was junk. Your thoughts on this? Is the PSA blem for $239 worth $40 more than the $199 PTAC?

Personally I think the PTAC stuff has got a reputation for being junk simply because its so cheap that it must be junk right? I have a lot of PSA uppers ( maybe 8 or 10?) and I am happy with all of them, I only have one PTAC but it shoots great and I cant find a thing wrong with it. That being said if you can snag a PSA on closeout or sale for the same kind of money as the PTAC I would grab it simply because I think they are a step up and likely will have better resale value (but I would not be scared of the PTAC stuff based on what I have seen.

1. For a basic AR that doesn't have a quad rail, I really prefer the look of the Mapgul handguard, which is available separately for $25. However, I notice that <broken link removed> for the upper w/ the Magpul; that's about a $75 premium over the $239 PSA blem upper (adjusted for the fact that the Magpul upper includes a flip up sight). What am I missing? Would the Magul hardguard be difficult to put on that $239 PSA blem upper?

The Blem is a discounted price, That $75 premium is not a apples to apples comparison. I would by the Blem upper and simply add the Magpul handgaurd, and no its a very simple 2 minute job to swap them out.
  1. I like the idea of a nickel boron BCG? But in order to keep the price down, it looks like <broken link removed> is the best option. What are you thoughts on that vs. <broken link removed> in your recipe?
I think in this case for the extra $20 I would go with the PTAC NIB BCG. I have a number of NIB bolt carriers and it does make cleaning them easier. The gunk wipes off, I think its worth the $20 at least. Bolt groups are one of those things that I think its worth spending money on rather than buying the cheapest thing you can find. I have pretty much all the flavors you could think of though ( Black Nitride, Nickel Boron, 4140, S7, C158) And I have never really had one that seemed like it was worse than any other. I have BCG that I paid $49 for and some that I paid $299 for and they both work.

1. If I stick with a black BCG, is the premium unit worth the $20 extra?
I think that is a tougher call actually, I have both the premium PSA and the cheapie and I cant tell any difference. That does not mean there is, but I cant tell.
  1. What's a decent trigger without having to spend Geissele or Timney money? I've shot enough mil spec to know I'm not interested anymore. Even though this is a budget build, I'm willing to spend a little more for a decent trigger. But it seems there's nothing out there for less than $150. Any advice here?
Honestly on this count I dont have much imput. I have one AR with a CMC single stage trigger and there is no doubt it is a vast improvement over stock. However I have never monkeyed with the factory trigger trying to improve it. Ive always just put up with what ever it was. One thing you need to be really aware of if you take jbett98's advice to try and improve it is that all the trigger parts are only case hardened. The way they are heat treated only the surface of the parts are hard. If you file or stone even a few thousands into the parts the material underneath will be much softer and wear much faster I do know t hat Geisele's wife has a company that sells hand picked mil spec triggers that are about $50 which I have heard good things about.

ALG defense is her company's name.
  1. Is PSA the only online source for budget AR15 parts? I've checked Spikes but it's quite a bit more expensive. Where else can I look?
There are a lot of places that you can find odd's and ends, The slickguns suggestion is a good resource . The thing with PSA is they are big and usually have just about anything you could want. They are not the only name in the book. I have bought some Ares Armor stuff recently that was a great deal. I have had good luck with Red X arms. Ive bought stuff from AIM Surplus Even once in a while Brownells has some great deals.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your project!

Great points. And yeah, if you're going to stone your trigger be prepared to replace it eventually. They can become dangerous as they wear out, too. Next time I'll probably try one of ALG's triggers - probably this one: http://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html This is the company that Bill Geissele's wife runs.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top