JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Without spending a whole bunch of time I wanted to throw together a inexpensive AR. This is what I came up with.

PSA 16" mid length 1/8 5.56 Upper. $199 shipped
PSA Phosphate BCG $69 shipped
PSA classic LPK W/Tele stock $74 Shipped
Anderson Lower from Aim Surplus $39 shipped
Surplus GI handle $14 + $4 shipping eBay
Take off charging handle free

So basically $399. I bet you could do better if you waited for some sales and took your time.
And I dont feel like any of this is cut rate crap. I think its a solid rifle that will put a lot of rounds down range.

I was hoping to get others to post their cheap builds. Maybe make it kind of a resource for folks looking to build a low buck rifle.

Lets see what you have done?

m4.jpg

Last Edited:
I started with a cheap build.
Ended up being like $1100. Kept wanting nicer stuff and felt like if I'm going to build it, do it the way i want it.
Either way that is freakin awesome you have a nice AR for under $400.
I wouldn't mind doing that and stacking a few in the safe

Ive got "nice" ones too but it makes sense to me to have a beater. There are times where I would want a solid rifle that if it gets drug through the gravel it wouldn't ruin my day.

Oklahomie if you dont mind the drive to Auburn I would be happy to help put a rifle together for you. I got all the fancy tools and gizmo's to make it painless and quite enjoy it.

Currently you could do a Stainless 1/7 mid length with a Magpul MOE for $249. A better deal than I got with the plain jane $199 unit.

<broken link removed>

I just did one and need to get out and shoot it.

Upper http://aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPSA8959&name=PSA CHF MID-Length 5.56/.223 Upper Receiver Group&groupid=586&utm_source=AIM Surplus Main List&utm_campaign=e8baf7c001-10022014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-e8baf7c001-19003417

Lower Anderson 39.99
PSA MOE+LPK 60.00 am left handed so bought a 30.00 ambi safety.
Used CTR stock 40.00 had a spring and buffer. Purchased tube, nut and end plate like 30 bucks.
Had a take off rear site that I tossed on it.
BCG was a 79.99 NIB and a take off CH

Right at 600 bucks and could have went cheaper. I just can not cheap out on some stuff;) Will get a pic next time I open up the safe.

yuj msrty ana$.jpg

I just did one and need to get out and shoot it.

Upper http://aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPSA8959&name=PSA CHF MID-Length 5.56/.223 Upper Receiver Group&groupid=586&utm_source=AIM Surplus Main List&utm_campaign=e8baf7c001-10022014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-e8baf7c001-19003417

Lower Anderson 39.99
PSA MOE+LPK 60.00 am left handed so bought a 30.00 ambi safety.
Used CTR stock 40.00 had a spring and buffer. Purchased tube, nut and end plate like 30 bucks.
Had a take off rear site that I tossed on it.
BCG was a 79.99 NIB and a take off CH

Right at 600 bucks and could have went cheaper. I just can not cheap out on some stuff;) Will get a pic next time I open up the safe.

Man, I have one that must be real close to a twin to that. It has the PSA premium 16" M4 upper with Magpul CTR and MOE forarm and pistol grip in FDE with a Troy fixed BUIS in FDE. I did not add up the cost of that one but that $600 number seems about right. Its actually my wife's gun but I still shoot it :)

Man, I have one that must be real close to a twin to that. It has the PSA premium 16" M4 upper with Magpul CTR and MOE forarm and pistol grip in FDE with a Troy fixed BUIS in FDE. I did not add up the cost of that one but that $600 number seems about right. Its actually my wife's gun but I still shoot it :)

Waiting for the MOE SL in mid length to come out;)

I consider myself intelligent and well educated but jumping into things like reloading and building an AR is something I'm just not comfortable doing until I have some hands on with the equipment.

I wouldn't know to spend 249 vs 199 for a good deal - as its all on the Internet and I am better at making those decisions when I can hold the two and see for myself what the value is.

My birthday is in January so I may be pestering all of you for advice and help then :D

Last November on Black Friday I got a PSA special complete upper for 250. Came to 260ish shipped. Sometime in July this year I picked up an Anderson lower for 40 plus shipping transfer and BGC it came to 60ish. Later I went with a PSA magpul lower build kit for 80ish. Not quite under 400 but close.

I commend the OP for getting under 400. Pretty good price for a plain Jane. Would make a good practice carbine or truck gun.

I consider myself intelligent and well educated but jumping into things like reloading and building an AR is something I'm just not comfortable doing until I have some hands on with the equipment.

I wouldn't know to spend 249 vs 199 for a good deal - as its all on the Internet and I am better at making those decisions when I can hold the two and see for myself what the value is.

My birthday is in January so I may be pestering all of you for advice and help then :D

There really isn't anything special about "assembling" an AR. I say "assemble" because you really don't build anything. As long as the parts are made to specs, which they all are pretty much these days unless you're buying a BCG off eBay, you just put the pieces together.

Reloading is just as easy, just assembling components.

Especially if you buy a assembled upper. Putting the lower together only really requires a punch and a hammer, and you can work around the punch. Its nice to have all the fancy tools but they are not required.

Tackling upper assembly requires having a few tools to do properly. You need at least a barrel nut and torque wrench and something to hold the parts.

Its not rocket surgery ;)

I know I know:cool:

It is the perfectionist in me that holds me back from most projects:confused:

If it ain't perfect, I aint happy lol;)

I'll do a little more reading over the holidays and hopefully will have the funds to jump into an AR in January.

I just put one together and am right at $600 without sites.
Anderson lower $69 from Curts
SAA lower parts kit with M4 stock kit $84.99
SAA complete upper $439
1:8 M4 BHW barrel, MOE hand guard, BCG, CH
I put a set of Magpul BUIS on there that I had laying around. I took it out to the range and she works great! I'm a huge fan of the Black Hole barrels.

PhotoOct24115604AM.jpg

Yeah I wanted to do a home built upper but for the price of the PSA could not pass it up. Was going to go cheaper but figured for a little more a CHF barrel might be worth it.

Joe when it comes time let me know I have tools and blocks to build both the 556 and 308 ARs. Also everything to reload for them:D Check out Brownells to they have some good videos that walk you through stuff http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/

And as far as being a perfectionist;) let it go I learned that one after a few builds:D I really do like my 300 with Noveske parts but my cheaper build does the same thing:confused:

I notice that there are two camps for ar15. Those that swear by BCM Noveske, Colt, and DD rifles and snub their noses at anything else as not being a fighting rifle. And those that make sort of Frankenstein rifles but are happy just the same as the above with their project.

While the anal retentive side of me wants matching parts, I just get tickled about hunting for deals on the cheap and assembling my own rifle. Im sure now with most manufactures all the parts are mostly the same, obviously I understand you get good QC and the best parts plus a warranty buying a complete rifle from the top teir makers.

I guess I'm part of the Frankensteiners. And it help to spread out the purchases for me too.

OP just wondering how you got the anderson lower from AIM for 39.99 shipped. I keep seeing 22.50 for shipping. Still a good deal but if there's a way to get free shipping I want to know!

Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads