JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A birdhouse is not a decoy if they think it's just a birdhouse. And they would have no reason to think otherwise unless you made it obvious you were hiding your cameras in birdhouses. Or are they just supposed to think, "Oh, there's a birdhouse. He must be hiding his cameras in there." I'm just not following your reasoning. Never mind, tho. I don't want to discourage you and I think I've already spent too much time on this thread. Try your plan and let us know how it works out.

One last suggestion: Trail cams don't last forever, particularly when they are out in the elements 24/7/365.. I've had 2 or 3 fail on me in the last few years. If one goes tits up on you, mount it in a conspicuous location, up high, and let them steal it if they want. They get a worthless piece of plastic, and it might distract them from the real thing, thinking they have defeated your security.
The birdhouses will have these sticking out the top or sides.

20220829_221859.jpg

I have these signs on the way as well.

Screenshot_20220829-222406.png

I will not be able to measure my success with any single deterrent. It had been 10+ years since the last break in but now my place will be known as a honey hole for perps. The blood has been spilled and I expect a lot more uninvited guest to be looking at my place as an easy target. Being off grid and fairly isolated makes my place ripe for the picking. I will do my best with low tech, low cost deterrents and hope that the next uninvited guest is underwhelmed with the risk to reward ratio and shares that within his perp circle.

The way society is headed doesn't bode well for being able to prevent ourselves from becoming victims.

Edit: Each day the cabin property is occupied by myself or an invited guest is one less day somebody will break in. It will also be one less day an out of town perp will see an unoccupied target.

Last Edited:
I am rethinking the idea of leaving the roadside shed secured with two eye screws and a padlock. My latest thought is to try and make that one outbuilding less vulnerable to being broke into and storing some of the low value but bulky items that I don't want to try and store at home and pack back and forth every trip.

When they kicked in the shed door it messed up the frame where the door lock bolt engages the frame but they left the door knob and the dead bolt lock intact on the door.
I did not have the deadbolt locked when they kicked the door in.

Here are my ideas to make the door kick in resistant.

1. Repair and reinforce door frame holes where locks engage the frame.

2. Attach 5/8 piece of plywood to exterior of door with foam pad sandwiched in between. That should asborb some of the energy from the kicks.

3. Build an outer security door from plywood sandwiched between corrugated galavanized steel roofing panels.

4. Secure the homemade security door with this style of lock. https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-...Shackle/dp/B002DY7DRY/ref=asc_df_B002DY7DRY/?

5. Add corrugated steel to exterior walls of shed.

6. Add metal rods, barbed wire, etc to inside wall cavities of shed. This might slow them down if they decide to take a reciprocating saw to the shed walls for access.

7. Add hog panel to inside wall over area where poly carbonate window panels are located. This is at peak of roof on the North side (that is high side of a shed style roof)

The current door on shed is a typical 6 panel steel door and swings in. The homemade security door would swing out and be buried inside added frame made from 2x6 lumber bolt through all the way inside the shed with long carriage bolts. I would probable add a very small window hole so people could see inside and learn that their is little vaule in there before going to work dismantling the shed to get in.

Things I would store in there besides large water tank that is already there are:

Garden tools
Small water tanks
Empty buckets
Camp chairs
Saw horses
Old garden cart
Hand truck

Some of these items are things they left behind and some would be items I could find for cheap on Craigslist.

Last Edited:
That's kind of the thing. Any deterrent is only as strong as the weakest part.

Ie., No matter how much you reinforce the frame hole, it's only as strong as the wood it's mounted in. No matter how strong one side of the door is, the other side may be more vulnerable.. aka... the hinges. No matter how strong the entire door and look system is, your shack is only as strong as the plywood siding and nails holding it to the wall frame are.

The other consideration really is, if a determined thief goes to the effort to gain access, does the overall cost of damage required to gain access warrant the extraordinay measures taken to secure it.

Have you considered simply "renting" a storage space from your neighbor on their property to store shtuf? That way it is readily accessible without packing it back and forth from home while still being more secure.

Another option, purchasing a small shipping container to act as a "vault". About the cost of a clunker vehicle for a 10x10, no reoccuring fees, set it and forget it, exponentially more secure than any framed structure and few points of vulnerability.

Last Edited:
That's kind of the thing. Any deterrent is only as strong as the weakest part.

Ie., No matter how much you reinforce the frame hole, it's only as strong as the wood it's mounted in. No matter how strong one side of the door is, the other side may be more vulnerable.. aka... the hinges. No matter how strong the entire door and look system is, its only as strong as the plywood and nails holding it to the wall frame.

The other consideration really is, if a determined thief goes to the effort to gain access, does the overall cost of damage required to gain access warrant the extraordinay measures taken to secure it.

Have you considered simply "renting" a storage space from your neighbor on their property to store shtuf? That way it is readily accessible without packing it back and forth from home while still being more secure.

Another option, purchasing a small shipping container to act as a "vault". About the cost of a clunker vehicle for a 10x10, no reoccuring fees, set it and forget it, exponentially more secure than any framed structure and few points of vulnerability.
I have thought about asking the neighbor to store a few things there on a more permanent basis. The items would be of so little value that they definitely would not be worth paying storage fees. Maybe I will stick with the eye screws and padlock and hope for the best. I wouldn't need any of the items to survive each visit to the property. It would more of an annoyance and inconvenience if the stuff was stolen. I will definitely be taking all necessities with me each trip.

I have thought about asking the neighbor to store a few things there on a more permanent basis. The items would be of so little value that they definitely would not be worth paying storage fees. Maybe I will stick with the eye screws and padlock and hope for the best. I wouldn't need any of the items to survive each visit to the property. It would more of an annoyance and inconvenience if the stuff was stolen. I will definitely be taking all necessities with me each trip.
Yeah. It's tough in this day and age and nothing is sacred any more. There is some merit too that taking excessive steps to secure a location can have the opposite affect. If it's worth the security measures to the owner, there must be sumpthin real good inside! 🤣

I don't see cameras, bird house or otherwise as much of a deterrent with out your immediate angry human response. They will just look at them and smile then take the birdhouses and cameras to their pot farm or whatever. It's kind of wasted energy to have pictures of who stole your stuff when the goal is to not have your stuff stolen. Particularly with today's catch and release courts. So three thoughts:

1. Harden your security to the point that it isn't an easy target, fences, barbed wire, locked gates, shipping containers, ect.

2. Occupy the premises and be alert and aware. When someone pulls up to your gate/cable whatever walk down and ask them what they are doing. 9 times out of 10 they will leave before you get there particularly if you are armed. You can be polite and firm and still have a refuse to be a victim attitude. Just a FYI most looking for easy marks is done in daylight while the crimes are done at night. But they've been there before and know what they are looking for.

3. Scorched earth, make it so there is nothing of interest, no buildings, no nothing. Kind of like camping, pack whatever you need for your stay then pack it all back out. Leaving stuff un-attended is what caused the thefts. Not being there for long periods is what made it easy.

I don't see cameras, bird house or otherwise as much of a deterrent with out your immediate angry human response. They will just look at them and smile then take the birdhouses and cameras to their pot farm or whatever. It's kind of wasted energy to have pictures of who stole your stuff when the goal is to not have your stuff stolen. Particularly with today's catch and release courts. So three thoughts:

1. Harden your security to the point that it isn't an easy target, fences, barbed wire, locked gates, shipping containers, ect.

2. Occupy the premises and be alert and aware. When someone pulls up to your gate/cable whatever walk down and ask them what they are doing. 9 times out of 10 they will leave before you get there particularly if you are armed. You can be polite and firm and still have a refuse to be a victim attitude. Just a FYI most looking for easy marks is done in daylight while the crimes are done at night. But they've been there before and know what they are looking for.

3. Scorched earth, make it so there is nothing of interest, no buildings, no nothing. Kind of like camping, pack whatever you need for your stay then pack it all back out. Leaving stuff un-attended is what caused the thefts. Not being there for long periods is what made it easy.
You might be right or others might be right. I will probably never know for sure what works and what doesn't. I agree with a few of your points. Make it more work for the perps to take stuff, leave less stuff to take and keep the property occupied more often. I will be addressing fencing and gate inadequacies very soon. I think the cameras or perception of cameras will make some of the less determined perps from breaking in. There is very little that can be done to deter the determined and prepared perps.

If your still going to hang birdhouses, perhaps stick a mini blinking light on just a few of the ones without a camera.

Something like these:

(Never heard of above web-site, just picking such as an example...)

From superbrightleds.com (whom I've bought a bunch from over the years):

If your still going to hang birdhouses, perhaps stick a mini blinking light on just a few of the ones without a camera.

Something like these:

(Never heard of above web-site, just picking such as an example...)

From superbrightleds.com (whom I've bought a bunch from over the years):

Good idea, might have to add those later.

Not sure I will have time to do this for upcoming trip but I will for the next trip.

Last Edited:
I am leaving the drive cable up but threw together some repurposed items from the property to make something resembling a 14ft gate. Front property line is mostly fenced now except for a short section where I will be installing a smaller gate just big enough for the neighbor to get her quad through.

I have to find some good deals on about 1100ft of field fencing to do the east and west sides.

20220905_151616.jpg

20220905_151507.jpg

I ran out of time to get many of the bird houses up. I was able to get them all painted and four of them plus the bat house up in the trees. The fencing and gate took up a huge amount of my time this trip. I made a dump run as well, which allowed me to get rid of old sleeper sofa, rickety futon and a bunch of other junk. Total refuse center bill was under $18.

In the future, I am going to go easier on sharing specific deterrents and locations that I am employing at the property. I have increased signage and will be increasing lighting along with other ideas suggested here or by neighbors. It may not deter the hardcore methheads from breaking in but it should deter some of the casual trespassers.

Every trip down I am going to eliminate another easily stolen item. This may be achieved by bringing the item home for storage, disposing of items or making the item harder or less desireable to steal.

I will be adding more cameras throughout the next year but I need to gain more experience with the different types I have purchased so far.

I have a lot of fencing work to complete and clean up to do. My hope is to get most of it done before the end of the year.

I have put my forest clean up efforts on hold so I can focus on cleaning and securing the cabin property.

20220905_194713.jpg

If I start a field fence installation business, remind me to charge by the hour.

20220917_171257.jpg

20220918_103258.jpg

20220918_150234.jpg

20220918_150251.jpg

20220918_153151.jpg

20220918_153159.jpg

20220917_171354.jpg

I had to add these h-braces this weekend. I ran a full 330ft roll from the front h-braces I previously built on the east and and west sides. That was 170ft or so shy of the rear h-braces that I previously built at the rear of the property. I improvised with materials for these mid run h-braces. Digging sucks there all the time but especially in Sept. I had to use a 16lb digging bar to dig each of the four holes about 2ft deep. Took most of three days to get this done. I did a few other random projects in between working on fencing.

Last Edited:
If I start a field fence installation business, remind me to charge by the hour.

I had to add these h-braces this weekend. I ran a full 330ft roll from the front h-braces I previously built on the east and and west sides. That was 170ft or so shy of the rear h-braces that I previously built at the rear of the property. I improvised with materials for these mid run h-braces. Digging sucks there all the time but especially in Sept. I had to use a 16lb digging bar to dig each of the four holes about 2ft deep. Took most of three days to get this done. I did a few other random projects in between working on fencing.
That's what children/grandchilren are for. "Character building opportunities".

Work smarter, not harder. :s0155:

Lookin good though.

Amigo, other than the probable lack of power/internet/utilities (mom is on permanent medical telecommute and needs live-in care so where one of us goes the other has to as well), part of me wishes I could get our affairs in order enough to come down there for a while and try to assist with the hardening. Having somebody living in the cabin for a bit as caretaker would also have a deterrence value...

Amigo, other than the probable lack of power/internet/utilities (mom is on permanent medical telecommute and needs live-in care so where one of us goes the other has to as well), part of me wishes I could get our affairs in order enough to come down there for a while and try to assist with the hardening. Having somebody living in the cabin for a bit as caretaker would also have a deterrence value...
I tried that arrangement shortly after I bought the place. It worked out for a couple of years before the guy went nuts. I thought for sure I was going to have to pay attorney to help with an eviction process. Luckily one letter from my attorney and coaxing from a neighbor he was friendly with was enough to get the guy to leave after his 60 day notice. The guy still lives nearby in his van, on his own piece of property. Fortunately I never see him.

Nothing personal to you though.

I tried that arrangement shortly after I bought the place. It worked out for a couple of years before the guy went nuts. I thought for sure I was going to have to pay attorney to help with an eviction process. Luckily one letter from my attorney and coaxing from a neighbor he was friendly with was enough to get the guy to leave after his 60 day notice. The guy still lives nearby in his van, on his own piece of property. Fortunately I never see him.

Nothing personal to you though.
Completely understandable. :) (I'm in no position to do such a thing so it's a theoretical discussion anyway.) Were I entering such an arrangement with anyone on either side, I'd want a written contract about clear purpose and timelimit of temporary occupancy up to 1-2 months, and being out at Expiration Date with owing of back rent if agreed tasks not completed to satisfaction with LE in the loop to evict at X-Date +1.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top