JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice find
With the neighbor now afraid of her new neighbors too, I doubt she will leave her house to answer that alarm. :(
And the tags on that non-running car need not to have current stickers on them as typical dirtbags would not look that close.
As far as that decoy car being stripped, I don't think they would not be willing to expend that much energy and bring tools for the job.
OP: Do you know if they pull into the driveway or park on the street and walk in?
I believe more cameras and dummy cameras as you suggested are the best deterrent mentioned so far.
jmo,

Nice find
With the neighbor now afraid of her new neighbors too, I doubt she will leave her house to answer that alarm. :(
And the tags on that non-running car need not to have current stickers on them as typical dirtbags would not look that close.
As far as that decoy car being stripped, I don't think they would not be willing to expend that much energy and bring tools for the job.
OP: Do you know if they pull into the driveway or park on the street and walk in?
I believe more cameras and dummy cameras as you suggested are the best deterrent mentioned so far.
jmo,
Cameras, dummy cameras, tripwire amp alarms both noise and flare-launcher, paintball Claymores loaded with pepperballs and some custom mixes bearing stuff like indelible blue dye and skunk-scent...

Nice find
jmo,
They took down the cable and I assumed they pulled in. Those windows were heavy.

not sure how far away your neighbor is, but i have used a set of these for a couple of years now, they work as advertised.
The problem with anything solar is that, in our neck of the woods, during the winter it won't get enough of a charge to last all night, unless they've really improved those little solar cells. Although maybe that little gizmo doesn't constantly consume power like a light does. :s0092: .
They took down the cable and I assumed they pulled in.
In the last few years I have had trespassers do the following to my gates:

Cut the lock
Cut the chain
Break the lock apparently with a tow chain
Take the gate off the hinges
Literally push the gate out of the ground with their vehicle

There is no limit to the ingenuity of a tweaker. :( :mad:

Here's another idea... put a stake in your yard, far enough in that you have to be trespassing to see it.
Mount a fake "dead body" impaled on it, Lawn Decor Vlad Tepes Style.
Tell the cops what you're doing, have them out to see it and get them in on the game and make clear that anyone who calls it in is clearly up to no good and the report is Prima Facie criminal trespass since they'll have already passed the NT signs.

Let the games begin...

They took down the cable and I assumed they pulled in. Those windows were heavy.
The only flaw I see in your camera plan is, mounting them high will only get you pics of the tops of their heads.
You have some good pics already and they have not led to anyone being identified, so more pics may not yield any better results.
just sayin',
:(

The only flaw I see in your camera plan is, mounting them high will only get you pics of the tops of their heads.
The cameras can be angled to cover the desired area. Easy to do with a wedge. If they are going to be disguised as birdhouses, there is no need to mount them any higher than the appropriate height for a birdhouse.

The cameras can be angled to cover the desired area. Easy to do with a wedge. If they are going to be disguised as birdhouses, there is no need to mount them any higher than the appropriate height for a birdhouse.
Most of the birdhouses will not contain cameras. I want trespassers to question whether they have cameras or not and make them have to work for it if they are going to climb up to check. That means they will need to be mounted up high. I built an angle into to the birdhouse face where the "camera" will be housed. If I need more angle I can wedge the mounting board that attaches the birdhouse to the tree.

Nothing will scare off the intruders better than running out on the porch in your red flannel union suit and bunny slippers with a 12 ga in your hands. You can add to the effect by going all FJB and firing a blast into the air.

Most of the birdhouses will not contain cameras. I want trespassers to question whether they have cameras or not and make them have to work for it if they are going to climb up to check. That means they will need to be mounted up high. I built an angle into to the birdhouse face where the "camera" will be housed. If I need more angle I can wedge the mounting board that attaches the birdhouse to the tree.
I don't see the point, really. If your camouflage is good enough, what reason would they have to suspect it's anything but a birdhouse in the first place? Sounds like your plan depends on them detecting a camera. If that's your plan, why not just put out an easily detectable decoy or 2, and then they would have no reason to suspect there was anything in the birdhouses.

No need to quote/respond here, you're wasting your wisdom on me.
:s0112:
Cute.

Nothing will scare off the intruders better than running out on the porch in your red flannel union suit and bunny slippers with a 12 ga in your hands. You can add to the effect by going all FJB and firing a blast into the air.
I keep tellin' you people, Brandon says to fire TWO blasts into the air. And from the BALCONY! Yeesh! :s0054:

I don't see the point, really. If your camouflage is good enough, what reason would they have to suspect it's anything but a birdhouse in the first place? Sounds like your plan depends on them detecting a camera. If that's your plan, why not just put out an easily detectable decoy or 2, and then they would have no reason to suspect there was anything in the birdhouses.

Cute.
The birdhouse cost about $5. Cheapest trail cameras are about $25. I wanted more than a couple of decoys.

The birdhouse cost about $5. Cheapest trail cameras are about $25. I wanted more than a couple of decoys.
A birdhouse is not a decoy if they think it's just a birdhouse. And they would have no reason to think otherwise unless you made it obvious you were hiding your cameras in birdhouses. Or are they just supposed to think, "Oh, there's a birdhouse. He must be hiding his cameras in there." I'm just not following your reasoning. Never mind, tho. I don't want to discourage you and I think I've already spent too much time on this thread. Try your plan and let us know how it works out.

One last suggestion: Trail cams don't last forever, particularly when they are out in the elements 24/7/365.. I've had 2 or 3 fail on me in the last few years. If one goes tits up on you, mount it in a conspicuous location, up high, and let them steal it if they want. They get a worthless piece of plastic, and it might distract them from the real thing, thinking they have defeated your security.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top