JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you carry in bars/when drinking in public?

• Total voters
In general, if it's not a location where it's prohibited by law to carry, I carry. But I also don't go to bars. If I do have a drink, maybe a beer, it's only one and done - I don't need more than that. Beyond that, I avoid places that may be potentially dangerous or threatening - with questionable crowds.

Seriously though. What bars can you go to that some drunk idiot cannot get out of control. I never would draw unless they got stupid enough to pull a weapon on someone or something crazy like that but with drunks you never know. You can be in the nicest bar around and still have a guy way over his limit start wanting trouble.
true you can run into an aggressive drunk anywhere even the nicest places. My take on which bars are trouble has more to do with the type of crowd the bar caters to, and just don't go there anymore. There are plenty of "nice" bars and pubs that I don't feel are a bad scene at all.

true you can run into an aggressive drunk anywhere even the nicest places. My take on which bars are trouble has more to do with the type of crowd the bar caters to, and just don't go there anymore. There are plenty of "nice" bars and pubs that I don't feel are a bad scene at all.
Yeah I have ruled out a few places over the years as they cater to people I do not want to associate with. We have a few places that are mostly always laid back and fun to be at and we stick to them. That does not mean that the wrong guy may walk in while we happen to be there. I suppose in my case it is not nearly the same concern as others though. I drink soda and put a 20 into video poker every once in a while. Other than that I sit with my friends and drink my soda while I eat cheap happy hour food. So if I ended up having to draw there is no chance of being accused of a drink altering my decision to pull my gun.

Before I begin, 40cal I admire any man that knows his limits and respects them. Kudos for not drinking

FWIW, I have never heard of a case where anyone was prosecuted for shooting someone because they were drunk. Drunk or sober people are held accountable for their actions regardless. If your drunk and your justified to shoot, then it was a righteous shoot. If your drunk and being drunk caused you to shoot when you shouldn't have, you get convicted of murder not being drunk. Alcohol affects everyone different, its important to be honest with yourself and know how it affects you.

:s0005:

The only reason I've gone into a bar in the last 7 years has been when I have been working a case, and don't believe I'll go to the trouble of getting disarmed because my subjects or witnesses have gone into/work in one.

Before I begin, 40cal I admire any man that knows his limits and respects them. Kudos for not drinking

FWIW, I have never heard of a case where anyone was prosecuted for shooting someone because they were drunk. Drunk or sober people are held accountable for their actions regardless. If your drunk and your justified to shoot, then it was a righteous shoot. If your drunk and being drunk caused you to shoot when you shouldn't have, you get convicted of murder not being drunk. Alcohol affects everyone different, its important to be honest with yourself and know how it affects you.

:s0005:

That makes perfect sense to me. If you shoot because you are aggressive and dunk the murder charge will speak for itself. If you have had a couple and are justified in your shooting then at worst I can see you being arrested and released after you get a lawyer and spend thousands and thousands to defend your action even if it is justified. That will be the case if there is alcohol or not.

Probably just cost a few more thousand if you had downed a couple beers.

I don't drink (medical problems).

But if I did, no, I would not have a firearm on my person. Alcohol and firearms do not mix.

As for concealed carry in a "bar" - I would if I was carrying. I just would not be drinking.

Drunks are easy to beat up, I wouldn't need a gun in a bar.
Yes they are. Unless you pick the wrong one assuming his rage is because he is wasted. Back in the day at 210 and 6'2" all it took was 2 drinks and I had my senses about me but was ready to brawl. It was like it just turned a rage switch on. Never did anything horrible. Just a few fights but it quickly became clear that drunk guys are easy to fight and I could end up in a lot of trouble if I did not switch to coke.
Hard to claim self defense when you are unscratched and the other guy has a swollen...everything.

I agree with others, know your limits and don't lie to yourself. Im such a lightweight, I feel just one light beer, so any alcohol is out of the question for me.

If I am going to drink, the gun stays home. Even at home I don't mix the two. YMMV. A confrontation is not the only problem. There has been many a negligent discharge while someone was intoxicated just from handling or showing their gun to a friend. I am sure many of you have been shooting at a pit somewhere and had some drunk guys pull up and start shooting. That is when I pack up and get out of there as quick as I can.

In that latest Arnold Schwartzenegger movie "Sabotage," concealed carrying a 1911 and drinking tequila in a Mexcian bar turned out all right for him.... He even had the presence of mind to do a tactical reload or two.

Seriously, however, sometimes it's not whether you're inebriated, but whether some other and much bigger guy is, and is looking for a fight. Yes, being aware is always required, but if someone comes up behind you and puts you in a chokehold, good luck drawing. So while I've never thought about it, maybe the reason why I don't carry in bars is because I don't want to get pistol-whipped with my own gun.

Fools carry while drinking in public or driving after drinking.
Most don't know how much a drink effects them. Many have said they could drive after a said amount of drinks ,just to destroy every traffic cone on the test grounds.
You will not win if you do have to shoot someone while drinking. It will cost you most everything you have
Plus tell the world how stupid you really are,drinking and carrying
YMMV

My wife and I like to have dinner at 'Lil Cooperstown, which is a sports bar/restaurant. She is diabetic and I am a recovering alcoholic with 17+ years of sobriety, so she enjoys a margarita or two while I have my Diet Coke and something yummy and full of sugar for dessert and we both have a great time without ever having any concerns over who will be driving home (or carrying concealed). We never hang out in the bar though, just the dining room. Other than that, I have no reason or desire to ever set foot in a bar.

I'll carry into a restaurant that serves booze and maybe consume one cerveza, but probably stick to soda. As far as carrying in a bar absolutely not.... I don't feel like rolling the dice with my right to carry and for the most part pointedly stay away from that scene in general now as a family man. As a young bachelor the watering hole is a right of passage in a way and in my time I had a lot of fun and numerous altercations in such establishments. I'd rather have a BBQ or gathering at friends and family's with people I trust and booze for a fraction of the price..:cool:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top