JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The recent article describing a Philly cop who shot a dog-walking 2A defender with his own gun reminded me to reread this 👇🏻 article again.

If they are an incompetent idiot, it doesn't really matter what gun they carry.

That article gives massive boomer vibes. I'm not sure how many Glocks are in circulation with law enforcement across with the world but I'd wager hundreds of thousands of Glocks are handled by law enforcement personnel everyday without issue. I guess since 3 cops out of hundreds of thousands carrying Glocks f*cked up and pulled the trigger when they shouldn't have, we all need to go back to carrying DA/SA firearms with manual safeties. Truly a big brained individual the writer of this op-ed is.

The biggest issue with law enforcement is lack of training. At my agency you get roughly 40 hours of firearms training in the academy, followed by a yearly refresher which lasts about a day. Some of my co-workers shooting and gun handling skills are quite scary. You can certainly tell who shoots in their own free time vs the people who only touch guns at work and only do their yearly qualification.

Last Edited:
Let the police union's actions decide.

If they've previously supported anti freedom bills with clauses exempting their own…well, then I think all of their member cops should have 6 shot wheel guns with long, gritty, 14lb DAO's.

For "safety" and "to save the kids" and "if even one life is saved."

The recent article describing a Philly cop who shot a dog-walking 2A defender with his own gun reminded me to reread this 👇🏻 article again.

Lol, blaming the tool is the mark of the incompetent.

An old article, using anecdotal evidence dating back more than a decade to support its claim, indicates the weakness of the author's argument, as well as the OPs question.
In the eight years that have passed, surely more data has been collected. Find that data and decide for yourself.
As others have noted, operator error.
Curious as to why Owen's committed suicide outside - didn't want wife to clean up the yuck?
His suicide was also operator error.

I'm happy to see the vibrant discussion on this topic. Thanks to all the participants!

Now, in posting the thread I was in no way vouching for the LA Times, or the author of the Op-ed, or even for mandating what weapons LEO should or shouldn't have. But I will go on record saying that I believe somewhere between a "few" and "many" people have been unintentionally shot by trigger leaf safety guns. And that list of people includes all the victims who've shot themselves trying to reholster a trigger leaf safety gun.

But this goes a bit further. When a LEO draws a weapon, what happens next? All the other LEOs on scene draw their weapons, too! What happens if one of them unintentionally fires? They all do mag dumps!

Yeah, the article is a bit old. Some comments are disparaging of the age of the accounts cited, without realizing that cops (and civies) have only shot themselves more, and had more accidents since that op-ed was published. Most of you have not shot yourselves with your Glocks, but it is still happening.

Now, the op-ed author committing suicide with a gun... Ok, that's new info to me. Wow. How does a guy edit a gun rights blog and then, what, walk out into public space to shoot himself with a gun? Really? He was found by a stop sign, with a gun "nearby"? Did he have a change of heart on 2A and decide to make a statement? Could he have been murdered? There's got to be a lot more to that story.

Because all the presidents since 1968 and the worst for 2A politiians have been mostly boomers ?
President Inaugurated Born

Nixon 1969 1913
Ford 1974 1913
Carter 1977 1924
Reagan 1981 1911
H W Bush 1989 1924
Clinton 1993 1946
W. Bush 2001 1946
O'bummer 2009 1961
Trump 2017 1946
Joe Biteme 2021 1942

Missed by 20,000 Leagues! Recap for us what years the Boomers were born????????????

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews