JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Either apply the gun laws to the LEOs equally, or let the citizens have the same access.

In other words.. why should the LEOs have "special/preferential treatment" when it comes to acquiring firearms that citizens may not be able to acquire? (Looking at CA for the best example, but also NJ, NY, Chicago :rolleyes: )

LEOs can acquire M4s, MP5s, M16s, M14s, through one of the Pentagon grant programs, along with military body armor.. they can also acquire vehicles, certain equipment through the 1033 program, and the ATF have a "tax-exempt Form" for the LEOs and certain govt agencies to acquire what would normally cost $200 per item for citizens...

Law enforcement agencies can get 37-40mm weaponry and ammo tax-exempt... whereas for citizens, these are NFA items and each "antipersonnel" non-lethal round are NFA Destructive Devices; but explosive rounds are another story I believe.

Why wouldn't they?

I think they should be able to carry what they want personally.
Ditto this.

Ya don't start 'mandating' what styles or mfgs. of guns that can be carried because some 'might' be safer than others.

I think better training is what should be mandated, longer and more dedicated with gun handling and safety emphasized.

Ditto this.

Ya don't start 'mandating' what styles or mfgs. of guns that can be carried because some 'might' be safer than others.

I think better training is what should be mandated, longer and more dedicated with gun handling and safety emphasized.
Indeed. The only restriction I would be OK with; is to subject LEOs and private/State security to the same gun laws of the State that ordinary citizens are subject to...and to the same Federal gun laws as well.

Otherwise.. repeal those gun laws and have the citizens reclaim their Right to parity of arms with the military; that we lost in 1934.

Several years ago I was interviewing for a Reserve position with the Deschutes County Sheriff's Dept. and the training Officer asked me 'What I had for a 9mm' . I told him my only nine was an IMI Baby Eagle and he said he was aware of it but told me if I was hired they would have to inspect it however chances are I would have to buy a Glock or a Sig 226 as those were the only guns they were allowing for duty carry at the time.

Though I'm not a Glock super fan by any stretch of the imagination, but they make a great duty weapon. I know because I carried them for over 20 years and instructed recruits in their use. The design is basic enough for someone without any knowledge to use them effectively in a short amount of time. They function well dirty and handled weather extremes. I never worried about whether it would work when I needed them. I trusted Glocks with my life.

Proper ongoing training is important with any firearm. It is only a tool and the person carrying it is ultimately responsible for its use. In all my years I have never seen a Glock go off without a finger or similar item in the trigger guard.

Last Edited:
There is the whole "finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire" thing.

I got a Glock pointed at my pelvic girdle 7 days a week. It's never gone off. And that's been over 10 years.

It's a training issue. Not a Glock issue.

Last Edited:
The article is from 2015...but dumb article is REALLY dumb.

What critics should be addressing instead is the brutal reality that short trigger pulls and natural human reflexes are a deadly combination.
NO! What critics should be addressing is the monumental lack of training that permeates police departments across our country. Departments these days are understaffed and underfunded. Training is the often the first thing that suffers. But this implies training was ever adequate in the first place and it very likely wasn't. A full 20% of officer's time should be spent training. But I'm not aware of any departments that currently have the manpower, funds, or leadership philosophy to support that. Many law enforcement leaders don't see training as a priority...or at least a high enough priority.

Additionally, if the officers don't have enough training to keep their booger hook off the bang switch at the appropriate times, they probably aren't going to have the proper training to be able to effectively utilize a pistol with long and/or heavy trigger pull. It's tough to hit your target with a long and heavy trigger pull but you can bet that round is going to land somewhere. Ask NYPD how that 12 lb trigger is working out for them? :rolleyes:

Also, this is the author of the article...May he Rest In Peace.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top