JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife found this while reading the news today.

Philadelphia homeowner shoots, kills intruder during home invasion | Fox News

The part that jumped out to me was this part: Heng is not expected to face charges in the case due to Pennsylvania's Castle Doctrine, which permits people to defend their property.

The state permits people to defend their property.

No mention that there were 2 young children sleeping in the home, and that he is 63 years old facing two men who likely entered by climbing into a 2nd story bathroom window.

Good job Mr Heng.

The reporter misspoke. The castle doctrine is not about defending one's property. Per Wikipedia, it is a "legal doctrine that designates a person's abode (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as a car or place of work) as a place in which the person has certain protections and immunities and may in certain circumstances use force, up to and including deadly force, to defend against an intruder without becoming liable to prosecution."

Wikipedia also indicates "the actor reasonably fears imminent peril of death or serious bodily harm to himself or another".

Good job Mr Heng.
I totally concur.

The OP PM'ed me this message. I think it is worth adding it to the thread because it adds to discussion.

PMB said:
Thanks Civilian- that was a good clarification of Castle Doctrine.

I was aware of what the Castle Doctrine is, but the part that irritated me in the news piece was the misstatement and the use of the phrase "Pennsylvania's Castle Doctrine, which permits people to defend their property."

The concept of someone, anyone, and especially a reporter who is speaking to the world to phrase it that way just astonishes me. The same piece that misstated the Castle Doctrine had just mentioned two young children, a 63 year old homeowner and two intruders.

Seems like a gross error.

Thanks again for the good reference.
Kind regards,
Mike

I agree with everything you say. It may be a gross error by the reporter. But he could very well be a biased, and with an agenda to push for a repeal of the Castle Doctrine in his state. The Zimmerman case probably has to do with this.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews