JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A Snohomish County homeowner allegedly shot and killed a man who was sitting inside a car with a female passenger in the homeowner's private driveway on Monday.

The Snohomish County Sheriff's Office (SCSO) said deputies responded to reports of a shooting on the 13500 block of Highway 99 around 6:40 a.m.

Two adults — a 38-year-old man in the driver's seat and a 42-year-old woman in the passenger — were parked in a home's private driveway, according to the SCSO. The homeowner, a 38-year-old man, came outside and confronted the two people parked in the driveway, deputies added. The homeowner did not know the two people parked outside, according to the SCSO.

"An altercation occurred" and the homeowner shot the man in the driver's seat, according to the SCSO. The man died at the scene and the 42-year-old woman was not injured, deputies added.

Can't say anything about the situation cuz not enough detail. I will say though that it seems to me in general people are scared. And rightfully so given our current climate of lawlessness. When people are scared they are going to take action (whether that is smart thing to do or not I mean). When ppl know the law won't come and may not even do anything if they do come people feel they need to do something. I also think a lot of these folks don't know the law of what they can and can't do legally. I hope courts and juries recognize the current climate of criminals having free reign to do whatever they want (in areas like Pdx anyway).

Saw yesterday that a guy on se 75th in PDX had two people break in (not sure when it happened but it was very recent). He rented basement apparently and 85ish yo lady lived above. Crims had BB gun and knives. I guess he confronted them and got hand cut pretty good. To his credit he went and bought a gun the next day (or perhaps the same day I don't recall).

You cannot shoot someone parked in your private driveway even if they are trespassing. Call the police or sheriff depending where you live. Guy will serve prison time and lose is gun rights for life. I am assuming he passed the BGC and made a lawful gun purchase here.

You cannot shoot someone parked in your private driveway even if they are trespassing. Call the police or sheriff depending where you live. Guy will serve prison time and lose is gun rights for life. I am assuming he passed the BGC and made a lawful gun purchase here.
Simply for parking in your driveway, no, but it's really a leap jumping to the conclusion the homeowner should or will face charges. The details are as vague as they come and the fact that he was interviewed by police and released may indicate there is much more to the story.

It certainly wasn't out of line to approach or question unknown parties parked on your private property.... and it certainly isn't a bad idea to be armed when doing so.

Simply for parking in your driveway, no, but it's really a leap jumping to the conclusion the homeowner should or will face charges. The details are as vague as they come and the fact that he was interviewed by police and released may indicate there is much more to the story.

It certainly wasn't out of line to approach or question unknown parties parked on your private property.... and it certainly isn't a bad idea to be armed when doing so.

$10 says the male driver was gettin' all swole against the property owner to impress his "past use by date" middle-aged party-girl passenger after getting his blowie/handy party interrupted then proceeded to earn a Darwin Award.

I agree that home owner should be armed but unless a mad max situation arises he should call the police or sheriff. If the guy that was killed has family members he could be sued in civil court and lose.

Agree with this about ppl have the right to investigate and not just wait for police who will never arrive (in Pdx at least). I had one guy at night who went up side of house and tried to open gate to back yard (car parked next to driveway but not in it. Since I was outside I approached him armed (which he could not see) and also behind cover (not just concealment) and asked him what he was doing. Turns out it was legit he was just delivering something and thought there was an apartment or similar back there (many houses in Pdx are chopped up into apartments). You have to prepare for the worst just in case (especially in Pdx) as I have seen countless examples of similar situation but intruder was armed, and also one case where guy was apparently unarmed but trying to break into my house.

Imo knowing Col Jeff Coopers color code system and living by it helps tremendously. Have had several encounters now at home and elsewhere in PDX where it was smart to have deadly force ready if needed but was able to diffuse each one without the need to (Or even have the perp/creep be aware I was armed with gun in my hand).

I agree that home owner should be armed but unless a mad max situation arises he should call the police or sheriff. If the guy that was killed has family members he could be sued in civil court and lose.
Calling the police here is strictly for documentation purposes only. They will not come to your aid. Recently one guy tried to recover his stolen car and called police. Police refused to come. He tried to get it back and was shot and went to hospital in critical condition. One has to recognize the real-world reality in which you live. If you are in small town or somewhere where there are still enough police and where they will actually respond then that would be different of course.

I'm very familiar with this area. I had to look on Google Earth to see where the private residences were. You wouldn't know they were there just by driving by, it's a commercial area. Residences along here are a very rare thing. It's a fairly junky area. Very close to a major, major highway. The video showed the red truck (with the little forensic concealment tent set up next to it) very close to the highway, not up close to the residence.

My own opinion, a car parked in your driveway, especially away from your home and near a public road like that, doesn't rate a shooting. Normally. It looks bad that the decedent was shot right where he sat in the vehicle. BUT: What we don't know is, did the decedent pull a gun on the shooter? Might could be.

You live on a major highway in a junky area, you're probably used to some trespassing, I'd think. Lots of homeless critters roaming this area. Many women plying the sexual services trade. Which doesn't exactly bring a high tone to the area. Notwithstanding the comments of the owner of O'Finnigan's across the street. "Bars and hookers, yeah, let's live there." This atmosphere might contribute to the rare resident being abnormally defensive.

BUT: What we don't know is, did the decedent pull a gun on the shooter? Might could be.
One would think IF the altercation involved a gun in the hands of the driver this would have been reported on.

And if not how much of an 'altercation' could there have been between a guy sitting in a car seat and a guy outside with a gun? Typical drunken or hungover banter - guy outside can't take it and just indiscriminately shoots the guy.

Once again I am not passing judgement on a situation but on the surface it doesn't appear too good for the shooter, and hopefully we will get more info about this.

Last Edited:
One would think IF the altercation involved a gun in the hands of the driver this would have been reported on.

And if not how much of an 'altercation' could there have been between a guy sitting in a car seat and a guy outside with a gun? Typical drunken or hungover banter - guy outside can't take it and just indiscriminately shoots the guy.

Once again I am not passing judgement on a situation but on the surface it doesn't appear too good for the shooter, and hopefully we will get more info about this.
One would think. But we've seen far too many examples of selective deletions, outright lies and just plain bad reporting to expect to hear the truth all the time. Or even often.

Yeah, I carry when I just take the garbage out now, Seattle is super unsafe.

20230228_170741.jpg
On the news, as part of this story

That's good news @Yarome , shocking in the best way.
No joke! The way WA leans it's suprising to see the majority numbers are still semi-sane up there, hu. One might start to wonder if it's just the elite few driving the state that might be out of touch with the will of the people... or.... off their friggin meds.

"Shoking in the best way." :s0155:

Last Edited:

The reason I pondered the possibility of the decedent pulling a gun is because it was stated that the shooter was questioned and released. Which is suggestive of a defensive shooting. If the shooter had just shot the driver unprovoked, no opposing weapon, it stands to reason he wouldn't have been released. But this is just a best guess, as others have said we need more information.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top