JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've always thought that the person who was taking that video missed a golden opportunity. How often does bear meat and venison show up in your backyard?
NO doubt!! That's karma screaming to have the whole family over for bear burgers, beer and steak night!

:s0090:

Deer hunting on opening weekend in the Athena helix area was a bust thanks to Wolves spotted in the area in the last month.

A buck was found alive and dying off to the side of the road two weeks ago that had been attacked from behind and chunks of meat bitten out of his rear quarters and left to die. I have always been told that a cougar or coyotes Will go for the throat and make a quick kill but wolves are thrill killers that are not necessarily hungry.

Over the last 30 years we always see a lot of bucks that live in the area and only harvest the mature ones. This year in two days the five hunters in our party never saw one buck, not even a spike. About 1/4 of the Does that we usually see and they all had fawns with them.

Evidently the bucks were all wise enough to relocate but it was hard to believe that even the forks and spikes that we usually see with the does had all left the area.

I have hunted for the last 50 years in Oregon and how any outdoorsman could support the idea of introducing wolves into the area baffles me………..Whether that individual is a hunter or not.

This is true and I believe I read one time they are some sort of a cross between the timberwolf and some sort of larger, and more aggressive Canadian variety.

Reality being what it is there has never been a 'natural order' of things and all animals have to either adapt to their environment to survive or they will eventually disappear.

Wolves had their chance environmentally and apparently couldn't survive. Compare them to coyotes which can survive nearly anywhere and anything - including humans - and are doing quite well.

'Forced' reintroduction of a non-indigenous species of any animal, and then having to monitor it's lifestyle and movements to ensure it's safety and survival is hardly 'natural'. It's nothing more than an arrogant display of power by leftist liberal earth muffins.
In 1905 the federal government tried biological warfare, infecting wolves, not coyotes, with mange. Ten years later. Congress passed a law requiring wolf, but not coyote, eradication from federal land. By 1926 all wolves, not coyotes, had been poisoned, shot, and trapped out of Yellowstone National Park.
But, sure, "they had their chance environmentally."

True statement! However, wolves do kill people. There have been a number of documented attcacks on humans in recent years and 2 deaths! One in Alaska -- a school teacher out for her morning run on March 8, 2010 (Candice Berner) -- and one on November 8, 2005 in Saskatchewan (Kenton Carnegie).
I thought a few (or several) years ago on this site, someone hinted that the person who was attacked and killed by a "cougar" while hiking Mt. Hood, was attacked by "not a cougar" (and not a bear).

There is a part of the urban population that are ignorant of the outdoors to say it mildly! The wilderness is "Forest Park" in Pdx
I'm fine with them reintroducing wolves if they start becoming a problem then we can hunt them just like coyotes. they live by the hard rules of nature and natural selection I feel like they have a right to the animals just like we do and I'm sure we screw their hunts up too. Look at what they did when they re-introduced them to Yellowstone the animals were no longer able to eat all the fresh trees shrubs and grasses all the way down to the ground the wolves kept the animals moving their erosion problem stopped. Nature does a much better job of managing things than we do, our management usually screws it up thoroughly.
They've already been a problem in certain regions for several years now. People who don't have to deal with the effects of over a dozen wolf packs, don't really know what's going on.

I too would love to see Bison re-introduced. But I would expect that some hunting groups would not like the added competition for the food source.
In most parts of NE Oregon there aren't enough elk or deer left to compete with "wild bison" for food. But the bison would make a great new food source for the wolves (and probably not last long).

I thought a few (or several) years ago on this site, someone hinted that the person who was attacked and killed by a "cougar" while hiking Mt. Hood, was attacked by "not a cougar" (and not a bear).
I've personaly dealt with a large number of animal rights extremists in Lane County, Oregon and found them to be inclined to "deflect" blame away from any animal attacks from the animal itself! That was one of the common tactics they use to blame humans for any and all animal attacks. I'd highly suspect any type of "suggestion" like that, especially if the OFDW already determined it was a cougar attack. Also -- I tend to believe the OFDW has been infiltrated by some animal rights leaning people!

Not what I heard according to two different people, one of whom (though hearsay by the time it got to me) was involved in the search for the "cougar". The other person was the one who posted on this site not sure how they knew.
Well I was there and seen the autopsy photos. We killed the couger, it was our dogs that treed it

Thanks. I assume the photos of the autopsy (and autopsy itself), showed the cougar had remains/dna of the human victim in stomach or elsewhere.
That information was never released to us. But the wounds where consistent with a mountain lion. The cat was taken several days later and her body was not fed on. I belive it was 7 days later the cat was caught on trail cam at the site of the attack

I just read an article from the Capitol Press where animal rights groups have appealed to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in Spokane! They're hearing a case that could severely curtail, if not end, cattle grazing in northeast Washington's 1.1 million acre Colville National Forest. So now the animal rights groups have just exposed their next move! That'll be to outlaw all cattle grazing where wolves are present!

Here's the list of wolf packs just in two NE Oregon counties (from the ODFW website), many of them in areas where I'd been hunting since 1990.

• Umatilla County (Horseshoe, North Emily, Ruckel Ridge, Touchet, Ukiah)
  • Union County (Balloon Tree, Clark Creek, Five Points, Noregaard, OR86, OR96, OR114, Ruckel Ridge)
Source: https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wolves/Packs/index.asp

Here's a link to the map, although as of December 2021:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews