JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am implying the ranchers are using the wolf as a scape goat - instead of recognizing that the ranchers would prefer to have the elk gone since they compete for the same reources. I also beleive that all those new fences are illegal on public property but that doesnt seem to make a difference to most ranchers. It has been stated that for every one legally aquired big game animal taken two are illegally taken. Wonder who is probably taking most of those animals. Until proven it is all speculation, of course.
Wolf introduction is relatively new in the big scheme of things. I don't remember ranchers complaining about too many elk in the 60's-90's competing with cattle for range. Your position and disdain for cattle ranchers is well known from other threads.

Wolf introduction is relatively new in the big scheme of things. I don't remember ranchers complaining about too many elk in the 60's-90's competing with cattle for range. Your position and disdain for cattle ranchers is well known from other threads.
Well... if you wanna get technical... it's the farmers that have more issue with wild game (deer, elk, etc.) than ranchers. It's SOP for ranchers to run their cattle in game occupied ranges and it's just par for the course. They don't go running around killing them off.

Always a conspiracy somewhere. To me its as much about the elk grazing for the same forage as cattle do. Thats why the elk populations are down not the wolves.
I disagree. There's plenty of grass (some places 4' or 5' high this year) in the mountains, and no elk or deer to eat it. Just a few weeks ago while grouse hunting I was in an area/meadows within the Wenaha Unit that used to be famous for elk (and moose for a while but I think the wolves must have gotten them too).

No new or remotely fresh elk tracks, when even 5 or 10 years ago you could always at least see fresher tracks, and many times in the summer a herd of elk. They're pushed out or killed from predators. I know because I've been summer hiking and fall hunting the same places in the same units for 30 years.

30 years hunting in the same places doesn't make me a conspiracy theorist. I'm just someone observing and stating "fact-based facts".

I am implying the ranchers are using the wolf as a scape goat - instead of recognizing that the ranchers would prefer to have the elk gone since they compete for the same reources. I also beleive that all those new fences are illegal on public property but that doesnt seem to make a difference to most ranchers. It has been stated that for every one legally aquired big game animal taken two are illegally taken. Wonder who is probably taking most of those animals. Until proven it is all speculation, of course.
You sound like you've bought into the animal rights viewpoint that all ranchers are bad! I was taught not to bite the hand that feeds me and the ranchers feed me!

You sound like you've bought into the animal rights viewpoint that all ranchers are bad! I was taught not to bite the hand that feeds me and the ranchers feed me!
I hunt and look forward to doing so in the future. I do not think all ranchers are bad only those that graze on public property for dollars a head and complain because of its not exactly to thoer liking
I don't care what ranchers do on thier own property that's thier land. Try raising a head of cattle for what they charge for public grazing and see how long it takes for said cattle to starve. Public grazing is a form of entitlement .

You run your cattle on public land you should not have thr right to complain about predators - my opinion
The wolves are there to help get rid of hunters -- promoted by Peta, the HSUS, Predator Defense and other animal rights groups! You hunt -- so hopefully you'll make the connection!

You run your cattle on public land you should not have thr right to complain about predators - my opinion
That's the thing about predators. They can't read property line maps and dont care if your livestock is behind your private property line or public lands. They hunt where the meat is.

Wolves are 'hunters', and humans are prey. Look at the historical data! Predator's know how to identify prey and do so. Humans are not at the top of the food chain unless they have weapons or have been weaponized!
So in the last three years there were three reported wolf attacks on humans in North America which is minute amount by any standards.

So in the last three years there were three reported wolf attacks on humans in North America which is minute amount by any standards.
When I was younger say 1980ish, cougars were hunted to control the numbers and enviro's used to point out the lack of cougar attacks! Some of us believe as wolf numbers grow so will wolf attacks on humans! Just an honest question, do you drive 65 in the fast lane and not let people pass?

Wolves are 'hunters', and humans are prey. Look at the historical data! Predator's know how to identify prey and do so. Humans are not at the top of the food chain unless they have weapons or have been weaponized!
Well That's Bullshizzt ....LOL . complete opposite of the truth, as the Wolves did NOT eat and exterminate all the humans. If wolves are superior predators ??? , Then humans would be the ' animal ' the Overbearing Wolfs Government would be transplanting RFID chipped and collared humans into alien habituates, with forcing the majority of wolf population to hug and love us .

When I was younger say 1980ish, cougars were hunted to control the numbers and enviro's used to point out the lack of cougar attacks! Some of us believe as wolf numbers grow so will wolf attacks on humans! Just an honest question, do you drive 65 in the fast lane and not let people pass?
So what does that have to do with wolves? The anser is not so much any more - I have slowed down and take my time more now days. Do you?

URL unfurl="true"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wolf_attacks#2020s[/URL]
Bearing in mind that there are only about 15k-18k in the entire U.S. and half of them are all in Alaska with sparse population density. Obviously they aren't going to rank up there with bears or mountain lions.

To be fair though, humans are "super predators" by most any study standard. And... wolves tend to avoid humans, buildings and developed areas.

That's really going off on a tangent though. The issue of wolves in the state, as I understand it, isn't about human attacks (until they get desensitized and start prowling city streets like yotes do). It's more about the devestation to game and livestock animals and the concern over the ecosystem.

Many species are barely holding on and populations where already dropping dramatically before wolves where introduced. Which leads many to ask... "WTF where people thinking!!??" Brining in an apex predator certainly isn't in the best interest of all concerned.

So what does that have to do with wolves? The anser is not so much any more - I have slowed down and take my time more now days. Do you?
got in a discussion with a fellow once who was the only right one in the room, he used to brag about holding up others, by going the speed limit and not moving over. Just wondering if we met before? and no I move over and let faster cars by, it is just polite!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top