JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm very involved in the fight against the animal rights agenda! The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) was behind bringing wolves to Oregon and behind the ballot measure to not allow hunting cougars with dogs in Oregon -- which is the only effective way to hunt cougars. The reason is because they're an anti-hunting group and they know if predators go unchecked, they'll decimate our game animals – which will result in fewer hunting opportunities and likewise will result in fewer hunters coming into the sport!

We now have wolves throughout Oregon, including the SE Oregon high desert, with the desired result for the animal rights groups such as the HSUS and Peta. I firmly believe animal rights supporters have gotten into the Oregon Dept. of Fish & Wildlife as well as in our schools.

The HSUS has a yearly budget approaching 200 million dollars a year and they're using it to achieve their extremist agenda -- and wolves are only part of the way they're doing it!

I'm very involved in the fight against the animal rights agenda! The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) was behind bringing wolves to Oregon and behind the ballot measure to not allow hunting cougars with dogs in Oregon -- which is the only effective way to hunt cougars. The reason is because they're an anti-hunting group and they know if predators go unchecked, they'll decimate our game animals – which will result in fewer hunting opportunities and likewise will result in fewer hunters coming into the sport!

We now have wolves throughout Oregon, including the SE Oregon high desert, with the desired result for the animal rights groups such as the HSUS and Peta. I firmly believe animal rights supporters have gotten into the Oregon Dept. of Fish & Wildlife as well as in our schools.

The HSUS has a yearly budget approaching 200 million dollars a year and they're using it to achieve their extremist agenda -- and wolves are only part of the way they're doing it!
I agree with you 100%. You know the animal rights folks are paying the state and the government not to kill wolves? Odfw is definitely bought off and I know that for a fact

The issues with maintenance are necessary for the reintroduction of any species that was here before man (15K->20K years ago). Wolves were in N. America (including the PNW) long before man came over from Asia. So were Brown Bears up and down the west coast and the plains.
What if man/womaan was here about 130,000 years ago...?

New Evidence Supports Controversial Claim of Humans in The Americas 130,000 Years Ago

What if man/womaan was here about 130,000 years ago...?

New Evidence Supports Controversial Claim of Humans in The Americas 130,000 Years Ago

What if?

Wolves have been here long before humans - like 700K years ago.

I agree with you 100%. You know the animal rights folks are paying the state and the government not to kill wolves? Odfw is definitely bought off and I know that for a fact
Unfortunately that doesn't stop ODFW from continuing to raise hunting related fees. Way more predators and way fewer game animals in NE Oregon means fewer hunter money for ODFW and local economies. So ODFW raises rates and adds gimmick premium hunts for more money to offset the hunter loss.

The units I normally hunt I think now have 5 or 6 wolf packs cruising around. I hear them howling during elk season, see cow elk with their tongues hanging out running for their lives (or maybe from a cougar too). Due to bears, cougars and wolves, not a lot of elk calf survival through the fall. Lower calf survival means lower herd numbers the next year, and the next year, and forever.

Surviving mule deer and elk have gone out of the mountains to lower elevations, closer to people. More deer hanging out in peoples' fields and yards. Of course then people who don't know any better and never go up into the mountains, see the elk and deer closer to town and say "wow there are so many deer and elk everywhere the populations are high!" when in fact no, those are just the survivors.

Then the farmers complain about the elk in their crops, so ODFW issues a months-long, general season/over the counter cow elk tag and people blast them. But ODFW gets more money from selling those tags.

Under current Oregon policy, in the units I hunt there aren't anywhere close to the numbers of deer and elk left. I understand parts of N. Idaho had a wolf issue in the early 2000s until their F&W Dept. got serious about wolves. Elk populations bounced back to higher levels.

Not to say your link is untrue information, but definitely biased. The "Works Cited" are definitely from the "pro wolf" side, along with a "support wolf conservation" plea in the left-hand margin. Like the rosey picture painted of the benefits of wolf reintroduction to Yellowstone that has since been brought into question by other academia, the narrative was painted by "pro wolf" advocates.

Personally, I think the burgeoning populations of cougar and bear are having a more adverse impact on my hunting. But when I go over east to hunt elk, there have been seasons where I was cursing the wolves. This was due to seeing more wolf sign than elk - in my case in the Imnaha Unit. I've only seen one wolf there, one cougar, and three bears in the past five years, but the wolf sign has been significant and I've heard a bunch of howling that isn't coming from coyotes. It's very easy to tell the difference.

People are working on this. I think it is not a bad idea. I've read that some people have seen wild bison in the Blue mountains? I personally would take up hunting again to get a chance at taking a good bison, and would love to have the meat.
Yes'sir. You heard right. I hunt the blue mountians for elk and have never actually seen any, but I hunt the western side. A family friend and his crew hunt the eastern side and a bit north of 84 (above la grande) and he's run across them and shown me photos on several occassions. One was a nice little wild herd of about 20-ish. He said there where a bunch more of smaller clusters around that area that he just couldn't get good shots of. They seem to be increasing in numbers, or at least he says he sees a lot more sign each year he's out and about. I've been meaning to go for a walk over that way for awhile but never seem to make it that far. I barely make it out that way enough times a year to keep tabs on my own hunting grounds.

It's encouraging though! Gotta love ya some bison and the farmed meat is okay when you have a craving, but it's always just a bit disappointing.

Not to say your link is untrue information, but definitely biased. The "Works Cited" are definitely from the "pro wolf" side, along with a "support wolf conservation" plea in the left-hand margin. Like the rosey picture painted of the benefits of wolf reintroduction to Yellowstone that has since been brought into question by other academia, the narrative was painted by "pro wolf" advocates.

Either way, wolves are indigenous to N. America. They were not introduced by humans. Gray wolves and their descendants/variations came over on the Bering land bridge (although some now say the migration went the other way). They may or may not have followed humans here, but they were not introduced by humans. They are part of the environment, just as elk and deer are.

Another predator that will help to wipe out more deer and elk. If we didn't have a lion problem I wouldn't complain as much but we have a major lion problem and its getting worse. Wolves will now compete for the same food, with lions top and wolves right behind them until we get too many wolves then the lions will be in trouble.

Oregon like other states stand to loose millions in revenue from hunters and outdoorsman. We can control both lions and wolves or they can control we do.

I won't get into the evolution and species debate, but having come from a family of ranchers/farmers, with some members high up in the ODF... and having been taught to 3S yotes on sight (the only animal outside of my, "only kill what you eat" ethos)... reintroducing an apex predator into OR never sounded like too bright of an idea.

I have no plans to participate in population control, but if a few get 3S'ed....

I can possibly see their value in a place like yellowstone or such where predators are scarce, but the PNW... I just don't see it.

When ai was a kid. My uncle brought a wolf pup home one night. Fuzzy little guy was cute as hell. All grey but looked like a German Shepard. My uncle said he heard puppy noise while hunting and followed the noise. The mother had been shot by some loggers near by. 3 pups were dead and this one was the only one still kicking. So he brought it home.
My uncle was Nez Perce Indian. He believes finding a pup and helping it was good medicine. I'm the same. Respect all living things taking only what you need. Give back when you can.

The reason is because they're an anti-hunting group and they know if predators go unchecked, they'll decimate our game animals – which will result in fewer hunting opportunities and likewise will result in fewer hunters coming into the sport!
This right here is the driving reason!

Always a conspiracy somewhere. To me its as much about the elk grazing for the same forage as cattle do. Thats why the elk populations are down not the wolves.

Always a conspiracy somewhere. To me its as much about the elk grazing for the same forage as cattle do. Thats why the elk populations are down not the wolves.

Are you implying that cattle farmers are/have been pushing wolf introduction as a way to reduce elk herds that compete for grazing range?

Are you implying that cattle farmers are/have been pushing wolf introduction as a way to reduce elk herds that compete for grazing range?
I am implying the ranchers are using the wolf as a scape goat - instead of recognizing that the ranchers would prefer to have the elk gone since they compete for the same reources. I also beleive that all those new fences are illegal on public property but that doesnt seem to make a difference to most ranchers. It has been stated that for every one legally aquired big game animal taken two are illegally taken. Wonder who is probably taking most of those animals. Until proven it is all speculation, of course.

I am implying the ranchers are using the wolf as a scape goat - instead of recognizing that the ranchers would prefer to have the elk gone since they compete for the same reources. I also beleive that all those new fences are illegal on public property but that doesnt seem to make a difference to most ranchers. It has been stated that for every one legally aquired big game animal taken two are illegally taken. Wonder who is probably taking most of those animals. Until proven it is all speculation, of course.
do you know or have you had a single conversation with a cattle rancher?

From a ranchers perspective, I can absolutely assure you they they are MUCH more concerned about the heads of cattle and other livestock they are losing to wolves over having to increase their herd ranges or the cost of supplementing feed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top