JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally I would say either Clackamas. There are wait times everywhere, but the Clackamas sheriff office is easy access off the 205. You will need to take the class first. PDX Arsenal puts on a great class and you can get Utah at the same time because of the class the teach.

You might have to apply in a county that borders Washington if you are not an Oregon resident. Call the Clackamas County sheriff's office to see if they'd even issue one.

You might have to apply in a county that borders Washington if you are not an Oregon resident. Call the Clackamas County sheriff's office to see if they'd even issue one.
They would not for me living in Clark County.

Personally I've never had issues going thru Multnimah. They have delivered on time or sooner.

They were talking about requiring an in person course as opposed to the online versions. I'm not sure if they ever got rid of the online option.

Personally I would say either Clackamas. There are wait times everywhere, but the Clackamas sheriff office is easy access off the 205. You will need to take the class first. PDX Arsenal puts on a great class and you can get Utah at the same time because of the class the teach.
According to the Clackamas Sheriff's website, they don't issue to non-Clackamas County residents. Columbia County used to issue to Washington residents with a "compelling reason". Does anyone know what they consider "compelling"?

Last Edited:
WashCo was super fast for me. Day of appointment after providing materials I was in and out in less than 10mins with a license in my hand.

Renewal (during CV19) took about a little less than a week mailed directly to me.

Best/easiest County in Oregon to get a concealed carry? I have a WA carry permit...
BTW, if you manage to get an Oregon License (or can even get an application accepted) let us know where and what hoops you had to jump through. I know Columbia County (Sheriff office in St. Helens) will issue to a Washington resident with a "compelling reason". If you go there how about sharing the "compelling reason". Thanks.

On the brink, myself. I live just 9 miles north of the state line, but studiously avoid driving south into Portland like the plague. For that reason, I enter Oregon through Columbia County and that's where I plan to apply. Details for application are on the Columbia County Sheriff's web page. Foremost among the several requirements:
  1. A valid WA CPL is required.
  2. Training is required (many options are listed, including the Oregon State Sheriff's Association online course).
  3. A Compelling Reason is required. Past discussions here indicate this means why are you coming into Oregon and how does Columbia County relate to that travel? (I intend to state that Columbia County has consistently been and will continue to be my normal point of entry into Oregon from Washington during frequent travel to various Oregon destinations for the purpose of vacation stays or sightseeing.)

WashCo was super fast for me. Day of appointment after providing materials I was in and out in less than 10mins with a license in my hand.

Renewal (during CV19) took about a little less than a week mailed directly to me.
Yup Washington County is super fast and super squared away. And if you're looking for a Washington Concealed as an Oregon resident I would suggest City of Vancouver PD. They were also super fast.

On the brink, myself. I live just 9 miles north of the state line, but studiously avoid driving south into Portland like the plague. For that reason, I enter Oregon through Columbia County and that's where I plan to apply. Details for application are on the Columbia County Sheriff's web page. Foremost among the several requirements:
  1. A valid WA CPL is required.
  2. Training is required (many options are listed, including the Oregon State Sheriff's Association online course).
  3. A Compelling Reason is required. Past discussions here indicate this means why are you coming into Oregon and how does Columbia County relate to that travel? (I intend to state that Columbia County has consistently been and will continue to be my normal point of entry into Oregon from Washington during frequent travel to various Oregon destinations for the purpose of vacation stays or sightseeing.)
Let us know how that works out. I am in Lewis County and my closest point of entry to Oregon is into Columbia County.

Also, If you have military service and a marksmanship ribbon / device FOR PISTOL, you may not have to take any course.
I achieved a pistol expert award, so I didn't have to do any course in Virginia or Oregon, the only states where I've applied.

Washington County has a "compelling reason" also. I used family. If I'm not mistaken, I was contacted to provide more detail for my "compelling reason". Aside from that, they are great to work with. Never had an issue. Always get me in and out in timely manner.

Well, I gave up on getting a non-resident Oregon CHL from anywhere close to where I live. I decided to drive all the way to Moro (3 hours one way). Easy Peasy once I got there. The county is very pro 2A. In fact, when you walk into the outer office in the Sheriff's office there is a declaration by the county courts to that affect. Then I noticed a MAGA hat on the Sheriff's bookcase. Julie, the admin assistant was really helpful and friendly. Whole process took maybe 20 minutes including prints. I gave them an expired passport and a 3-year-old online training certificate. The application has a question about compelling reason, but it didn't seem to be a big deal. I answered that I travel in Oregon and have family there, but I have a feeling I probably could have just said "because of the second amendment". The one delay is the backlog at OSP checking prints. Julie does the background check but has to send the fingerprints to Salem.

Sherman County court.jpg Sherman County court2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads