JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
... This was also one of America's first mass school shootings and it was done by our own military with the blessings of the government. People's memories are so short.
Kent State shootings - Wikipedia ...

The entirety of the Labor Wars of the late 1800s and early 1900s had state militias, national guard, and police violently putting down protests. The public backlash when the CO Nat. Guard burned a miners' tent encampment causing the deaths of 11 children and 2 women finally got Congress to act on things like ending child labor and establishment of the 8 hr workday.

I like to point to this source about the massacre to liberal friends and ask them to read it while thinking about the nature of oligarchy, how Rockefeller was paying the salaries of the Nat. Guard troops, and to contemplate why it is that all modern gun-control laws have exceptions for police/NG at time when we are entering a second Gilded Age: The Ludlow Massacre Still Matters | The New Yorker

And there's a Woodie Guthrie song memorializing the event, with a decidedly pro-gun message:

Your friend appears to be very confused. None of our elected officials will be voting on this. it is not going through the legislature.

Consequently, this ballot initiative is the perfect way for getting gun control past in Oregon, without the Democratic Party suffering any blame or political harm for it being past. After all, it would then be the will of the people.

And to be honest, voters simply don't turn out for off-year elections, when no one is running for President. in 2014, turnout was less than 70%. So almost a third of the voters will probably not even bother to vote.

Did I say anything about the legislature?

He claimed that it wouldn't get much support from the usual liberal suspects because of how extreme it is, and without that support it won't pass.

Not that they don't support complete civilian disarmament, but because the resulting conservative turnout would be bad for them. I hope he's right, but as I said I don't trust his sources.

When I had my last cataract done, they served my up some really good Fentanyl... oh my. I requested some Inagodadavida and a kick-azz light show!

Hope you are well!

bb
Shudder...... Fentanyl and I don't like each other.... Though I did have some kick a$$ pain meds during my first cancer recovery that gave me some real wild dreams!!!

I am not telling people it is hopeless, but I am being realistic. It's an uphill battle. I am doing my part even though I think the
odds are good this atrocity will pass.
If you are not telling people those things then you werent included in what I was referring to lol. I was talking about specific phrases with a certain intent behind them. I dont have a list of people who have said things like that, just noticed it in passing while reading on various forums/groups etc.. Glad to hear you are doing your part! I appreciate it!

Tired of people saying "its gonna pass for sure" "its hopeless" "oh well, ill just be moving" or similar statements. Quit it with that crap.

I predict, that IF it gets on the ballot, it will pass. But, it's not hopeless, IF we get mobilized beforehand. Oh well, I'm NOT moving.

If it passes, we reaped what we sowed

Hey! I didn't invite all those libs to move to this state!!! :p

he claimed that it has no chance of passing because it's "political suicide"

Whose "political suicide"?

Did I say anything about the legislature?

He claimed that it wouldn't get much support from the usual liberal suspects because of how extreme it is, and without that support it won't pass.

Not that they don't support complete civilian disarmament, but because the resulting conservative turnout would be bad for them. I hope he's right, but as I said I don't trust his sources.

That is not at all what you said, though. You talked about liberals committing "political suicide".

That cannot happen with a ballot initiative, for the very reasons that I mentioned. No politicians will be putting themselves in any political jeopardy at all.

This is the politically safe way to get gun control implemented in Oregon. Just let the people vote on it.

The initiative is actually being sponsored and promoted by a band new gun control coalition, called Lift Every Voice Oregon, created specifically for this initiative. It consists mainly of gun control groups. The only individuals identified as being sponsors of it are clergymen, not politicians. Here is a link to their website:

Home

Here is a photo that they posted, purportedly showing people they say support getting this on the ballot:

AdobeStock_140519492.jpg

It could not be a more politically safe way to implement gun control. You need to understand that those who hate guns are very crafty people. They are not dumb.

Last Edited:
I find myself arguing someone else's argument. "Political Suicide" were his words, not mine.

What he meant, clearly, was that the ballot measure is being started and promoted by some far left kooks and unless it's supported and promoted by more middle of the road lefties and politicians it's not going to pass. The wacko leftists in Portland will all vote for it, but the reality is that there are many more middle of the road and middle-left people in this state who can be convinced either way.

Do you not think that if our side get seriously organized and we turn out in droves, that's not going to hurt the leftist candidates on the ballot? If people are voting when they otherwise wouldn't, for the purpose of voting against an extreme gun control measure, are they going to vote for a governor who supports gun control?

Anyhow, that's his argument, not necessarily mine. All I can say is I hope he's right.

On the other hand maybe Oregon is indeed so far gone that the most extreme left wing laws will easily pass and we all might as well just give it up now...

I'm just burned out of the room and gloom. What football team ever went into a game saying the the other team is so strong and skillful that they were sure to win? I've never heard any coach say that it's good for morale to see defeat as inevitable.

By the way, I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't take this seriously. I think we should take it very seriously, get organized and vote in droves, with the attitude that we can beat it.

All the state would have to do is check gun sales over the past few years, see your name and address, and come knocking at your door to confiscate. What will you do when they come knocking?

All the state would have to do is check gun sales over the past few years, see your name and address, and come knocking at your door to confiscate. What will you do when they come knocking?
And what do you think will happen when someone comes knocking on the door of a fellow law enforcement officers??? (dad, brother, uncle, etc.) The minute that happens someone is going to turn and do the favor to that officer and so on and so on and so on. It could turn into a potential blood bath....

Your friend appears to be very confused. None of our elected officials will be voting on this. it is not going through the legislature.

Consequently, this ballot initiative is the perfect way for getting gun control past in Oregon, without the Democratic Party suffering any blame or political harm for it being past. After all, it would then be the will of the people.

And to be honest, voters simply don't turn out for off-year elections, when no one is running for President. in 2014, turnout was less than 70%. So almost a third of the voters will probably not even bother to vote.

Hmmmmm.....not so fast Lance. If there is one thing that will rally conservative voters to the ballot box in a off year election, it's a gun control measure.

So far the silence for the usual gun control advocates in Salem has been deafening. My hunch is that you aren't going to see much, if any, open support from folks like Ginny Burdick, Prozanski, or Brown because this proposed measure doesn't fit their playbook of slow, incremental gun control restrictions. What it would do is to create a campaign issue all the way into November that typically hurts incumbent Democrats.

I think that many liberal Democrats in Salem are hoping that this extreme measure doesn't get the required number of signatures and just quietly goes away well before the November election.

E

Another example where IP 43 is already influencing this election........candidate for Governor Knute Buhler.

Buhler should have had this election put away weeks ago. He had a early start, he has some name recognition as a representative in Salem, and he has a campaign fund many times larger than his nearest opponent. "Should" have the election put away...but he doesn't.

Oregon voters, rallied by the prospect of a Measure 43, are taking a second look at Buhler....and his voting record in Salem.....and are coming to the conclusion that Knute may not be their guy after all.

Carpenter and Wooldridge, both firmly pro 2A, have both mounted serious challenges to Buhler. It will be an interesting primary for sure!

E

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top