JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went through this recently, here is my 2 cents..
A lot of reviews list the Ontario Rat as the best "bang for the buck" every day carry knife (about $40).
I bought one of and I like it, but I also bought a higher-end Spyderco. They offer a wide variety of options regarding size, shape and the type of steel the blade is made of..
Knife steel is a topic unto itself, but the choices available remind me of choosing a 1911 45 acp, you can find one for under $500 or pay many thousands depending on what you want... Bottom line, I would consider spending some time researching blade steels and build the knife around the type of steel you chose.
Enjoy the process.
I never owned a Ontario Rat or a Spyderco but I used to belong to a forum where a BUNCH of people owned them and they loved what they bought.

Take care.

Cate

Original Poster,

What about a Buck Classic 110 knife?

They are very sturdy knives and known for their quality.

We have gifted some over the years too.

I gave my husband my two Buck 110 folding knives and he carries/uses them quite a bit. MADE IN IDAHO.

They have a smaller version in 'THE 55'. MADE IN IDAHO.

I gave my husband my two '55' folding knives and he likes them very much too.

Mine had the walnut handles in the 110 and 55 and they were/are older but bought NIB. They were the original plain ones for sale. I did not consider these Buck knives expensive at the time. I do not know what they cost in the stores now.

You don't have to customize them at all.

You can buy the Buck 110 knife for LESS money at some sporting goods stores, buy them at some Walmart stores and they are the SAME exact knife that you can pay more money for in some other stores and even online.

I never bought a knife online. I am NOT knocking people who do this.

I always wanted to see them up close and personal and HOLD them in my hands to see how they fit ME.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Ended up picking up a Spyderco Yojimbo 2 from a fellow member here this AM.

6D623361-C30E-4015-94DB-E531C8508D7C.jpeg

If you do get penis cancer, just soak it.

Soak it in cider.
Well I'm currently sitting in urgent care. Not for penis cancer but because I took a mean chunk out of my finger with my brand new knife. Haha. Here we go stitches. I'm so used to a dull knife that I got cocky and now I am paying the price. Can I soak my finger in cider?

You can get a good quality EDC knife for around $50. I will not carry a $12 knife I might as well carry a butter knife if that's the case. I currently carry the Ontario rat 2, great knife for the money.

Well I'm currently sitting in urgent care. Not for penis cancer but because I took a mean chunk out of my finger with my brand new knife. Haha. Here we go stitches. I'm so used to a dull knife that I got cocky and now I am paying the price. Can I soak my finger in cider?
But a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife…

I think owning at least 1 endura and 1 delica will show you if the spydie life is right for you. It's almost a glock 19 pocket knife.
Just ordered a delica in that triple layer hap40 steel stuff. Supposed to be hitachi hap40 (similar to Rex 45) steel in the middle and sandwiched in stainless steel on the outside. Sounds promising but we'll see. Only complaint is people say blade gets scratches cuz outside layers are softer. But that is by design and I think these people may not use their knives if they are worried about scratches ha ha.

I don't know that much about knives but from way too much research yesterday I narrowed it down to benchmade bailout tanto partially serrated aluminum (CPM-M4 steel), spyderco para 3 partially serrated (s30V steel) , or spyderco delica (various steels). I did a deep dive into what steels are used, hardness, toughness etc. I really like the para 3 in maxamet but cost is high. Always wanted a laminate knife after looking into how Japanese used layers to make swords.

Some edge retention testing data below (TCC=Edge retention) from knifenerds website. Para3 or maybe delica (can't remember) is also available in s110v, k390, and s45VN.
8FAAD8E7-8989-4814-9AE8-CD76A282D95D.jpeg
Hap40 laminate one:
E7A8D253-2B9E-4750-A5E9-DB46DFE53D9D.jpeg
Photos from internet:
DC960D0B-EACE-4E99-974A-8D78AA24EB1E.png
528844BD-3EA9-4B77-8DFE-5FCC644960A5.png

Last Edited:
Is that flat grind with satin polish, or some different grind I'm unaware of?

Nice knife btw.
Plz excuse my ignorance, I don't know what flat grind means. But if it helps the difference in color (where the bevel starts) is where the Hap40 is (inside) and stainless (outside) is.

More on scratches... myself I don't care if outside gets scratched and I can guarantee it will get used and will get scratched ha ha!

Btw as I'm enjoying a nice but inexpensive hc white cigar now, I just noticed the knife matches my cigar cutter. Not intentional but I like the look of stainless and wood, probably from guns I guess.

E3CC7CCD-DF2E-4088-AF7A-8DE174EB3421.jpeg

Most current delicas come with flat grind.
This appears to be flat ground, and yes I see the line where the different steels meet. I'd call it a Hamon ,buy the real knife nerds would probably crucify me for legitimate reasons I don't understand.
The saber(sabre?) grind was once available on delicas. Both grind styles have their fans.

Full Flat Grind.png Sabre Grind no water color.png

Most current delicas come with flat grind.
This appears to be flat ground, and yes I see the line where the different steels meet. I'd call it a Hamon ,buy the real knife nerds would probably crucify me for legitimate reasons I don't understand.
The saber(sabre?) grind was once available on delicas. Both grind styles have their fans.

View attachment 1183573View attachment 1183574
I checked their website and it says "full flat grind" so you are right. Yay I learned something new (what a flat grind is). :)

Weight wise this version is 3 oz vs lightweight polymer one is 2.5 oz., stainless handle version is 4 oz. So it's a little more heavy than lightweight version but does have full steel liner vs a smaller cartridge steel liner. I can see benefits to both for sure.
67658AE5-EBAD-4589-B613-669F9A43C7B7.jpeg

Last Edited:
I checked their website and it says "full flat grind" so you are right. Yeah I learned something new (what a flat grind is). :)

Weight wise this version is 3 oz vs lightweight polymer one is 2.5 oz., stainless handle version is 4 oz. So it's a little more heavy than lightweight version but does have full steel liner vs a smaller cartridge steel liner. I can see benefits to both for sure.
I own a few of the full weight, stainless handle spydies ( harpy, police ) . They are overly heavy, and prone to sliding out pockets while seated. The stainless frame also picks up very noticeable scratches , like a brand new car parked at a busy Safeway .

Last Edited:
A knife is a tool. Buy what you like and buy the very best that you can afford. Buy quality and only cry once.
That said, most of us carry an ECD for light cutting tasks. There is also a very slight possibility that you may need to use it for self defense. In the event this happens, you want to have a normal looking 'pocket knife'. NOT some tactical kool military weapon. We all know that serrations are for cutting rope and other fibrous materials. A prosecutor will tell the jury they are for ripping flesh. And a tanto blade is designed for stabbing people.
A sharp quality plain edge blade will cut just as well as any tactical looking knife.
I have been collecting auto knives for 30 years. I do not carry them for the reasons stated above.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top