JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am primarily a Spyderco supporter (admittedly biased) but do own a few Benchmades. Benchmade has a much different philosophy to their knife designs where they go for aesthetics first and function second. Not saying Benchmades don't have good designs or are weak, etc... they just design from a different direction. Spyderco on the other hand starts with function first and designs from there pushing the edge with the latest steels, striving for new locks, working with new makers on joint designs. A Spyderco may not always be the sexiest knife but you hold it and use it and that knife just feels right for the designed purpose.

Hard to recommend some models without understanding what type of lock you prefer, ideal blade length, desired ease of blade sharpening which directly relates to working edge retention, desired opening method i.e. thumbstud vs. spydie hole vs. flipper, preferred lock type and anything else that is relevant to your needs. A Spyderco Military, Paramilitary 2, Endura, Delica, Stretch, Manix 2, Shaman, Bradley folder, Kapara, Sage, Caly 3.5 or 3 would be wide swath to take a look at. Benchmades I would say Bugout, Griptillian, Redoubt, 940/943, Freek, Crooked River (mini or full size) gives a good spectrum of what they are currently producing.
I think owning at least 1 endura and 1 delica will show you if the spydie life is right for you. It's almost a glock 19 pocket knife.

I love the Benchmade Mini Barrage. I have the combo but they have a full non-serrated. Only knife I've ever lost (playing soccer with fall leaves on the ground in a park), and while I have plenty of knives that could replace it, it's just the best EDC ever so I replaced it and haven't looked back.

I have a lot of EDC knives...

My current favorite is my Case Sodbuster JR. with the CV blade and Chestnut bone handle.
Sharp blade...also easy to sharpen.
Slim...fits in the pocket well and doesn't "print" , so to speak.

Yep I know that is ain't what most other folks are suggesting or carrying...but then I also still shoot flintlocks...:D
Andy

Been carrying a Benchmade auto mini presidio 2 for about 5 years now. I like having an auto opener for edc because it's super easy to open with one hand when you're juggling other tasks. Unfortunately BM charges a lot more for their automatic knives when I think the only real difference is a stronger spring. Love the knife though.

I've been hankering for this WE Subjugator. Good looking knife in a great steel and titanium handle.

https://amzn.to/3jtRqZB

1649732250393.png

My current favorite is my Case Sodbuster JR. with the CV blade and Chestnut bone handle.

Yep I know that is ain't what most other folks are suggesting or carrying...but then I also still shoot flintlocks...:D
Andy
That's a knife like what my grandfather carried. Not my style at all. But neither are flintlocks….

I want my edc blade to be nice but not TOO nice for when I do dumb azz things like use it as a screwdriver or to bend wire.
I really like the Kershaw Blur. It snaps open with one hand, holds a decent edge and miraculously I haven't broken the tip off.....yet.

Andy

My late husband, my MT husband and I liked and STILL LIKE knives like yours.

My husband carries knives like yours (NOT the exact model though.) every single day PLUS in a few other brands including Made in Idaho CLASSIC Buck knives.

I no longer use any knife other than a FIXED blade knife but I still LOVE ones like yours and my husband's.

One of these days... I need him to put up pictures for me too. He has some pretty custom made fixed blade knives (SMALLER ones.) that I picked out the handle material for him. Three different types of wood. The different steel blades came from a famous ID knife maker who moved to MT. One of his friends who makes knives put the handles on for him and made his leather sheaths. He used to work with my husband before my husband retired. My husband knows several men who make knives and several of them are well known and won awards too.

Cate

Last Edited:
Cate- When I was actively working I carried an assisted opener, partial serrated, worked best for cutting wires, boxes, plastic zip-ties. Less expensive ones, Chinese imports mostly, as I too have lost or broken a few over the years. The serrations were very nice to have when it came to ripping boxes or cordage/wires. Now I carry a Kershaw pocket clip, @ 3" blade, assisted, "SpeedSafe". Very nice, cost $30-something.
If I need anything larger these days I keep a CS Kobun, small enuff to carry easy and be handy, large enuff to do what's needed... Need anything larger I go for a bowie:), but that rarely happens anymore.:eek:...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top