JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's a knife like what my grandfather carried. Not my style at all. But neither are flintlocks….
Ive got the pocket knife my Grandpa carried, at least toward the end of his life. It's a old Sabre USA-made, so it's probably pretty old. Certainly got used from the look of it.
Got his shotgun too, an old single-blaster...He was a farmer, and both implements look as if they spent a lot of time in musty places. Some day I'll have a box or two of black-powder loads made up for it.

Last Edited:
Sadly I lost my daily carry knife. I had a Benchmade Triage folder that I carried for the past 10+ years. But sadly I lost it at work (still praying it shows back up). I am not opposed to just picking up another Triage but thought I would see what y'all carry and use. My budget is around 200-250. It needs to be a folder and will be used for utilitarian purposes (cutting boxes, straps, etc.) not necessarily self defense (I carry a fixed blade for that).

Any opinions are appreciated. Thank you.
I used to carry nicer blades but after losing 2 in just over 4 years I started carrying inexpensive folders. I change it up every couple days with a Byrd, Schrade, and a Gerber. You carry a good fixed blade for when needed, why waste the money on in essence a utility knife. It would kill me to lose one of my good knives. Now if one of these go, I just get another one, no big loss.
Sadly I lost my daily carry knife. I had a Benchmade Triage folder that I carried for the past 10+ years. But sadly I lost it at work (still praying it shows back up). I am not opposed to just picking up another Triage but thought I would see what y'all carry and use. My budget is around 200-250. It needs to be a folder and will be used for utilitarian purposes (cutting boxes, straps, etc.) not necessarily self defense (I carry a fixed blade for that).

Any opinions are appreciated. Thank you.

Zero Tolerance for me:

E6B598B7-7E6D-4B24-B8E8-B9F6A3E20358.jpeg

Holds an edge for quite awhile, not too bad to sharpen. I'd recommend it.

I recently got a Leatherman K2 last year for Christmas. It is a little more bulky than other knives I've carried in the past. However I've come to enjoy having the tools it had in it readily available. Instead of using my knife as a screwdriver or other needed tool, I now just use the actual tool. I've carried it since Christmas last year and just recently sharpened the blade for the first time. The edge holds quite well.

Good luck finding a new knife! There are so many out there! I know the feeling of losing a good one. I had a Kershaw I carried for years go missing on a trip to the beach. Still think about that knife every time I go to the beach.
586-free-k2-crimson-fanned.jpg

I have a benchmade griptilian you can have. I carry either a spyderco resilience or a RAT1 and it's too small.
I appreciate the offer. Truly. My one hesitation to go back to a Benchmade is they don't hold an edge very well. And the amount of time I put behind it on a daily basis I want something better. I've owned multiple Benchmade and a few spyderco knives (I used to get them super cheap on base). The spyderco always did a better job. They are kinda like glocks. Ugly but get the job done. So I am probably going to move back to a spyderco.

If you want something with some of the best edge retention on the market look for something in either M390 CTS204p or CPM 20cv all basically the same steel just made by different companies. These are some of the best knife steels you can buy on the market and hold an edge forever. My recommendations would be something from Microtech like the LUDT or SOCOM auto.

For ergonomics I love the Spyderco Manix 2 LW. You can get them I various steels from the base BD1N which is toughish with less edge retention all the way up to Maxamet, which has insane edge retention but is not stainless and is possibly more prone to chip (then you'd be stuck sharpening a chip out of a knife with insane edge retention). The manix 2 is s bit of a pocket hog though.

I carry a $12 Smith & Wesson I got off of Amazon, it does everything those spendy knives do, and when I lose it [ I always lose them ] I am only out $12. I really don't see the point of spending a buttload of cash on a pocket knife. I do have a Benchmade that was gifted to me, it sits in the console of the pickup.
100% agree. Ive lost so many knives that I only get low budget knives now. Basically package openers or rope-twine-ziptie cutters is all my knives are.

I think that Batman was on to something with that utility belt of his. He had a lot of crap to carry around to fight crime. I used to carry a bunch of stuff. I got tired of loaded pockets and constantly attaching crap to my belt. While I have a lot of neat whizz bang stuff to get me through my incredibly complicated day, a while back I decided to simplify what I actually need to carry with me to fight crime, raise the kids, rescue kittens, etc. I turned to the single blade Swiss army knife. While I find the gadget packed Swiss army knives annoying, I rather like the simplicity of the single blade. It's smoothly shaped and fits in the bottom of the pocket quite comfortably. The blade is razor sharp and handles a surprising amount of tasks. If I need a knife to chop a tree down or cut through steel reinforced Kevlar cable, I'll get something bigger. But for every day easy carry, I found my knife.

IMG_20220412_131430.jpg IMG_20220412_130901.jpg

Last Edited:
I think that Batman was on to something with that utility belt of his. He had a lot of crap to carry around to fight crime. I used to carry a bunch of stuff. I got tired of loaded pockets and constantly attaching crap to my belt. While I have a lot of neat whizz bang stuff to get me through my incredibly complicated day, a while back I decided to simply what I actually need to carry with me to fight crime, raise the kids, rescue kittens, etc. I turned to the single blade Swiss army knife. While I find the gadget packed Swiss army knives annoying, I rather like the simplicity of the single blade. It's smooth and fits in the bottom of the pocket quite comfortably. The blade is razor sharp and handles a surprising amount of tasks. If I need a knife to chop a tree down or cut through steel reinforced Kevlar cable, I'll get something bigger. But for every day easy carry, I found my knife.

View attachment 1175996 View attachment 1175997
I can totally relate to having jackets snag clips And pull things out of pockets. That drives me nuts. But I also can't stand things sitting at the bottom of my pockets. The clip on the knife/light/pen etc is a huge deal to me. In fact I may have lost the Triage because of that. Take off a jacket at a job site delivery. Out falls the knife and I drive away. Then I notice hours later when I go to use it again…..

My favorite folder is a sheath knife - the Gerber 3221 Bear Grylls Folding Sheath Knife, Serrated Edge

I bought a number of them for $16 at Amazon (current price is $28 but I bet you could probably find it for much less).

Some guy on some forum said these were cheap Chinese crap that would "shatter".

I took on of them, batoned it into a firewood round, then beat the handle back and forth sideways (perpendicular to the blade length) and up and down. The only thing that happened was the lock got a little looser but held. I still use that knife as an EDC with my work clothes and I really like it - all the more because it is cheap and therefore the value is high IMO.

I like the blade shape, lightweight and find it very practical for every day use - and I do use it almost every day. It has stayed sharp enough that I have never felt the need to sharpen it.

Last Edited:
I appreciate the offer. Truly. My one hesitation to go back to a Benchmade is they don't hold an edge very well. And the amount of time I put behind it on a daily basis I want something better. I've owned multiple Benchmade and a few spyderco knives (I used to get them super cheap on base). The spyderco always did a better job. They are kinda like glocks. Ugly but get the job done. So I am probably going to move back to a spyderco.
Steel choice is important, however, edge retention has a lot to do with other factors such as thickness behind the edge (TBTE), secondary bevel angle, and primary grind profile. Spyderco does a lot of full flat grinds with a small TBTE, and lower sharpening angles. Benchmade "usually" favors edge strength and toughness over cutting performance in their grind profiles-saber grinds with larger TBTE, for example.

I love my Manix 2 Lw. It is an ugly duckling though.

Aside from the comments about getting an expensive knife ... for the OP's stated purpose ...

It needs to be a folder and will be used for utilitarian purposes (cutting boxes, straps, etc.)

I work in a a "sheeple zone" I can't have a "knife" but I do have 2 tools.

1 - Skeletool

2 - Gerber Gear

They did provide a Husky Box cutter, but the thing feels as heavy as my daily carry.

HTH

Last Edited:
Aside from the comments about getting an expensive knife ... for the OP's stated purpose ...

I work in a a "sheeple zone" I can't have a "knife" but I do have 2 tools.

1 - Skeletool

2 - Gerber Gear

They did provide a Husky Box cutter, but the thing feels as heavy as my daily carry.

HTH
I think you mean three tools if you include your daily carry:s0045:

Last Edited:
I went through this recently, here is my 2 cents..
A lot of reviews list the Ontario Rat as the best "bang for the buck" every day carry knife (about $40).
I bought one of and I like it, but I also bought a higher-end Spyderco. They offer a wide variety of options regarding size, shape and the type of steel the blade is made of..
Knife steel is a topic unto itself, but the choices available remind me of choosing a 1911 45 acp, you can find one for under $500 or pay many thousands depending on what you want... Bottom line, I would consider spending some time researching blade steels and build the knife around the type of steel you chose.
Enjoy the process.

Cate- When I was actively working I carried an assisted opener, partial serrated, worked best for cutting wires, boxes, plastic zip-ties. Less expensive ones, Chinese imports mostly, as I too have lost or broken a few over the years. The serrations were very nice to have when it came to ripping boxes or cordage/wires. Now I carry a Kershaw pocket clip, @ 3" blade, assisted, "SpeedSafe". Very nice, cost $30-something.
If I need anything larger these days I keep a CS Kobun, small enuff to carry easy and be handy, large enuff to do what's needed... Need anything larger I go for a bowie:), but that rarely happens anymore.:eek:...
Dan,

Did you say BOWIE?!

My heart be still!

Grin.

LOL

You may or may not remember that I LOVE them too!

When I cut boxes, building supply boxes and ALL KINDS of STUFF in the house that I built with my late husband in the 70's - I used box cutters.

I still had some of them after he died with REFILLS, extra blades, in one small drawer in the kitchen and some in one of his MANY tool chests in the big garage.

He had OLD box cutters and new box cutters.

I brought one of them with me when I moved out west. I think that it is still in my own personal small PORTABLE tool chest with a handle unless I gave to my husband after I built this house.

Take care!

Cate = An old lady who loves knives, axes and some 'hawks!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top