JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sadly I lost my daily carry knife. I had a Benchmade Triage folder that I carried for the past 10+ years. But sadly I lost it at work (still praying it shows back up). I am not opposed to just picking up another Triage but thought I would see what y'all carry and use. My budget is around 200-250. It needs to be a folder and will be used for utilitarian purposes (cutting boxes, straps, etc.) not necessarily self defense (I carry a fixed blade for that).

Any opinions are appreciated. Thank you.

Benchmade or Spyderco. I carry both, swapping them out whenever the mood strikes me. A Spyderco Police and a Benchmade Infidel. I know the Infidel is OTF but those are the two brands I trust to EDC.

I carry a $12 Smith & Wesson I got off of Amazon, it does everything those spendy knives do, and when I lose it [ I always lose them ] I am only out $12. I really don't see the point of spending a buttload of cash on a pocket knife. I do have a Benchmade that was gifted to me, it sits in the console of the pickup.

Cheap tools suck.
Agreed. I normally don't loose anything. But I was helping an employee at work and set it down on a bumper to free up my hands and I'm pretty sure it left with the truck…. Some homeless person in PDX has a very dull but nice knife. Haha.

I agree, but the $12 knife does everything a $400 knife does. can't say the same about a ratchet.
The thing I've grown to dislike most about cheap folders is the lock quality.

Most insist on selling liner locks , and then offer a terrible execution of said mechanism. When I end up with them they land in glove boxes and junk drawers. Better than nothing in a pinch.

I've carried Benchmade knives for 25 years My favorite is the 710 with combo edge.
I used to carry the TSEK with combo edge, but gave it to my PH when I was in Africa.

Though I wish I'd checked to see if they still made the TSEK before I gave mine away:oops:

My personal favorites: Benchmade Bugout 535 (Slim and sharp). Spyderco Paramilitary I or II (although II is a little big but indestructible), and Zero Tolerance, (almost any version) a little thick ti carry, but a beast. Kershaw (Kai) was having a sale a day or so ago, so worth checking out, as they are reasonably priced. I also occasionally carry a Drift (first version). Super slim profile and salt water won't hurt it.

I personally prefer partial serrated blades, but I also know that is a minority opinion. However, If you need to cut nylon webbing or rope, quickly, it can't be beat. it also gives you a little sawing action for other materials, although a plain blade makes cleaner cuts.

I am guessing that high points do not do everything a thousand $ pistol does or they wouldn't be crap talked on here so much
To be fair I'm not carrying a 12 dollar knife…. And I'm not carrying a high point. I have standards. Haha

20220411_164544.jpg

Just picked up the lower one here. Endura by spyderco. It's flat ground, plain edge. I think it was $70 otd cash.

The one above has been primarily carried, rarely used for 2 or 3 years.

20220411_164614.jpg
This is all I look for when buying spydies.

Sadly I lost my daily carry knife. I had a Benchmade Triage folder that I carried for the past 10+ years. But sadly I lost it at work (still praying it shows back up). I am not opposed to just picking up another Triage but thought I would see what y'all carry and use. My budget is around 200-250. It needs to be a folder and will be used for utilitarian purposes (cutting boxes, straps, etc.) not necessarily self defense (I carry a fixed blade for that).

Any opinions are appreciated. Thank you.
I am primarily a Spyderco supporter (admittedly biased) but do own a few Benchmades. Benchmade has a much different philosophy to their knife designs where they go for aesthetics first and function second. Not saying Benchmades don't have good designs or are weak, etc... they just design from a different direction. Spyderco on the other hand starts with function first and designs from there pushing the edge with the latest steels, striving for new locks, working with new makers on joint designs. A Spyderco may not always be the sexiest knife but you hold it and use it and that knife just feels right for the designed purpose.

Hard to recommend some models without understanding what type of lock you prefer, ideal blade length, desired ease of blade sharpening which directly relates to working edge retention, desired opening method i.e. thumbstud vs. spydie hole vs. flipper, preferred lock type and anything else that is relevant to your needs. A Spyderco Military, Paramilitary 2, Endura, Delica, Stretch, Manix 2, Shaman, Bradley folder, Kapara, Sage, Caly 3.5 or 3 would be wide swath to take a look at. Benchmades I would say Bugout, Griptillian, Redoubt, 940/943, Freek, Crooked River (mini or full size) gives a good spectrum of what they are currently producing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top