JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My first Ruger 77 MKII was a blued 30-06 and it fit the bill. It's the one I'm shooting in the picture on the left. I gave it to my oldest nephew for his high school graduation project. It's replacement is also a Ruger 77 MKII, but this one is stainless. I sold this gun , but recently bought it back. I will not make that mistake again!

Remington Model 600 Mohawk in .243 with an old Weaver 4x.
The most accurate rifle I've ever shot. If I need to hit it, that's the one.. plus, it's handy as heck.

Remington model 722. In .257 Roberts.
Leupold Vari-X ll with Warne rings. Custom bedding and a 700 Rem adjustable trigger.
A real pleasure to shoot and it's dead on accurate.

My first Steyr Rifle, A Prohunter in 30-06. That dang gun is a extension of my body, put down 30+ animals ranging from grouse to huge black bear. I have never missed a animal or required a second shot....(uh, until last year but that's another story)

I have used and abused that rifle and would still be hunting with it if the wife hadn't started killing animals with it, She made my buy a different rifle for my self (dang women). I just got my Steyr Prohunter in 7mm! :s0155:

Howa 1500 in .30-06. I've never missed a deer with it, and that means under hunting conditions with adrenaline pumping, humping it up a mountain or canyon wall, shooting off-hand with only a couple of heartbeats to aim.

Remington 722 .257 Bob. My first centerfire. My dad bought it used in 1965 on my birthday ( Oct 1 ) to use on Oregon deer opener ( Oct 1 back then ) because his 7mm Model 700 was temporarily down. He did an amazing job on the trigger and I shoot the same old Herter's 100 gr. bullets / IMR 4350 combo I have always used. Weaver K6 scope.

I have other rifles but that's my favorite go to hunter. 13 deer, 2 cow elk. I really hope my grandson grows up responsible AND a shooter/hunter so I can keep it in the family.

Mine is a rifle built by a, back in the day, gunsmith named Wes Reynolds. It is built on a Santa Barbera Mauser action, in .30/06. Wes built it for himself and we were nearly identical in build. The butt stock is canted to the right so when the rifle is thrown to the sholder the scope comes up centered on the right eye. The trigger is terrific, crisp, light! It likes 165gr bullets.

Remington Model 600 Mohawk in .243 with an old Weaver 4x.
The most accurate rifle I've ever shot. If I need to hit it, that's the one.. plus, it's handy as heck.

Mine is a 660 in .308. I love it, but since my back has been destroyed, the recoil is too much. It's great to have such a light, manageable rifle in this thick timber, but the recoil could one day actually do some damage to me. Mine also has a Weaver 4x.

Given my current situation, I have to say that a Remington 770 in .270 is one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned. $290 off the shelf and the boresighted Bushnell is dead on at 200 yards.

The ridiculous accuracy being culled out of $300-400 rifles is amazing. My next new rifle purchase will be a Ruger American($350+-), Remington 783($350+-) or one of the Savage/Nikon packages($450-500, including good glass). Probably in 7mm-08(the old Remington 788 is just about unmatched in accuracy per dollar and was arguably the foundation of the 7mm-08, along with the Model Seven.) or .308.
I wish some of the budget guns would chamber in 6.5 Swede or 7x57. Criminally underappreciated cartridges.

Remington 722 .257 Bob. My first centerfire. My dad bought it used in 1965 on my birthday ( Oct 1 ) to use on Oregon deer opener ( Oct 1 back then ) because his 7mm Model 700 was temporarily down. He did an amazing job on the trigger and I shoot the same old Herter's 100 gr. bullets / IMR 4350 combo I have always used. Weaver K6 scope.

I have other rifles but that's my favorite go to hunter. 13 deer, 2 cow elk. I really hope my grandson grows up responsible AND a shooter/hunter so I can keep it in the family.

This info is from Remingtons website:
I am always looking for these to come up for sale. Very under valued in my opinion.

Model 722 Bolt Action centerfire Rifle

Overview:
Description: First truly modern centerfire rifle with the strongest bolt ever developed. Offered in short action only.

Introduction Year: 1948

Year Discontinued: 1962

Total Production: Approximately 118,000

Designer/Inventor: Merle "Mike" Walker & Homer W. Young

Action Type: Bolt action

Caliber/Gauge: .222 Rem. - .1950 - 26" & 24" barrel
.222 Rem. Mag. - 1958 24" barrel
.243 Win. - 1959 - 22" barrel
.244 Rem. - 1956 24" & 22" barrel
.257 Roberts - 1948 - 24" & 22" barrel
.300 Savage - 1948 - 24" & 22" barrel
.308 Win. - 1956 - 24" & 22" barrel

This info is from Remingtons website:
I am always looking for these to come up for sale. Very under valued in my opinion.

Model 722 Bolt Action centerfire Rifle

Overview:
Description: First truly modern centerfire rifle with the strongest bolt ever developed. Offered in short action only.

Introduction Year: 1948

Year Discontinued: 1962

Total Production: Approximately 118,000

Designer/Inventor: Merle "Mike" Walker & Homer W. Young

Action Type: Bolt action

Caliber/Gauge: .222 Rem. - .1950 - 26" & 24" barrel
.222 Rem. Mag. - 1958 24" barrel
.243 Win. - 1959 - 22" barrel
.244 Rem. - 1956 24" & 22" barrel
.257 Roberts - 1948 - 24" & 22" barrel
.300 Savage - 1948 - 24" & 22" barrel
.308 Win. - 1956 - 24" & 22" barrel

I'll quit after this, don't want to hijack the thread....but don't forget the long action twin to the 722, the Model 721. I also have one of these in .300 H&H. My second place hunting rifle. Also, I see these all the time on gun shop used racks. There is a good one in .300 H&H for $350 I believe at Continental Loan& Jewelry in Vancouver if anyone is interested.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top