Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

OC'ers, do you carry a recording device for the possibility of police encounters

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by slimer13, Jun 23, 2012.

1. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Apparantly this is not uncommen, so out of curioisity how many of you do it?

2. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

I don't but, I live in Lewis County and don't open carry (or travel) outside of Lewis County that often....when I do, it's usually to go to Madigan, so I can't carry there anyway...down here OC is not an issue with anyone, so I don't need a recording device. (And I'm never alone, so I have a witness with me, anyway.)

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  3. slimer13

I live in a city of a couple hundred thousand people, and granted Spokane is a mostly working class, white, conservative leaning city, I have never had any negative reactions to OC whatsoever. I have had two people ask me "Why the pistol?". I think most people can sense and read the difference in body language of a citizen who is excercizing his rights, and a madman who is up to evil.

Another thought...

Police here are required to wear recording devices on their person. Why is that not enough?

4. One-Eyed Ross

5. 01rednavigator

01rednavigator salem Active Member

i do.

6. slimer13

Probably not, but I think most Spokane PD are locals or are from the rural farmland surrounding the city. So I guess geography has alot to do with ones decision to wear a recording device or not to. I would imagine that a much higher percentage of people wear them in Seattle or Portland than say Flagstaff or Fairbanks.

7. One-Eyed Ross

8. slimer13

Its kinda funny that this happened today but I just got back from getting a hair cut. I was OC'ing a Kimber pro carry II. As I was approaching the barber's parking lot, I noticed a WSP trooper had someone pulled over in the lot. I have to admit that with the recent police shootings in town that I was a hair nervous. I exited my vehicle with my gun in plain view. The trooper glanced over, took a second look at my gun. He then proceeded to give me a nod to which I nodded back. I then went in and got my hair cut at my OC friendly barbershop. End of story.

97321, carracer, mjbskwim and 3 others like this.
  9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Most of us that carry a cell/smart phone have a recording devise with us.
    I didn't vote because I don't OC

10. Source41

Source41 Portland New Member

I would like to know where this OC friendly Barbershop is. I go to school up in Spokane and would like to know where its gun friendly.

11. slimer13

The Man Shop on Division and Francis. Lots of gun mags while you wait and reasonable prices.

12. Dinged

Dinged Portland, OR Active Member

I rarely OC and when I do I don't need it, I'm in Portland, and hopefully I'll never need it.

13. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

I do not. I have had encounters with local LEOs. Here in Tacoma. All positive.
    Dave

14. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Don't OC, but because of being falsely accused of talking on my mobile while driving (beat it in court) I equipped my primary vehicle with rear/forward facing auto DVR camera that writes to an SD 32g card everything the car is started. Very cheap insurance. $75 or so on Ebay.

I guess if you OC'd and you made sure to stand in front of your vehicle you would act least have a visual record of what transpired.

Sincere and (deleted member) like this.
  15. slimer13

How does that stop you from being falsely accused of talking on your mobile? Just out of curiosity:)

16. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

I don't OC, and this seems to be a mostly Washington thread, but be careful recording conversations. In Oregon, and many other states, recording conversations requires the consent of all persons being recorded, including the officers. If you try to submit a recording as evidence and there was no consent, you can be charged with a class A misdemeanor. Check your state laws.

ORS 165.540 (c) Obtain or attempt to obtain the whole or any part of a conversation by means of any device, contrivance, machine or apparatus, whether electrical, mechanical, manual or otherwise, if not all participants in the conversation are specifically informed that their conversation is being obtained.

17. carracer

carracer Nampa, Idaho Active Member

To add Idaho to the thread...

I have a recorder with me about 50% of the time when I oc. the rest of the time I just forget to grab it.

18. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

No...I have OC'd for over 40 years (since July 1970) mostly Skagit county until 2005, Okanogan County since 2005.

In all that time I have never had reason to want a recording device...even though I did own a mini-casset recorder for when I was working on my Masters, for class. Still OC every day.

19. BillyDa59

BillyDa59 King County, WA Member

I don't open carry but I do keep a tape recorder in my car for any potential conversations with police officers. Really meant more for traffic stops but if I had to stop a car jacker, it'd be useful for when I talk to the police afterwards as well.

20. 97321

97321 Albany Active Member

From One-Eyed Ross's article, "... I always get louder when confronted with stupid." That's funny right there.