JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What are all those container ships than?
Not for people. They don't have the ca[acity for feeding, sanitation, etc.. If they started to convert en masse it would be to obvious to hide, and then their troops would be sitting ducks for several weeks as they crossed the Pacific. The better move would be to partner with Mexico on the promise of restoring lands "stolen" by the US.

A good invasion story line woul d be Mexico resolving it cartel and corruption problems allowing them to have an economy that rivals the US, and then wanting those lands back. At the same time, Califirnia for poliutical reasons (thinking they could rule Mexico) jumping ship.

China is about to stumble nadlt due to the one child policy giving a mulit generational gap in manpower. They are more likely to go after Asian countrie to provide labor to keep the factories humming. But, then there is the Indian juggernaut getting ready to surpass them...

dystopian future where America is controlled by gov elites who live in luxury controlling the disarmed population with mandatory vaccinations side effects and assisted by AI machines that turns out the original code was written with a political bias/agenda back in the 2020's...
And then all comes crashing down when the Yellowstone Caldera goes off...
disrupting the elites control of rebuilding society, the nations military weakened due to politics and resources spread thin from the natural disaster give resisting antivaxx freedom fighters (who've been working in the dark web at unplugging AI) strong footholds retaking key cities igniting the second American civil war.
Ash from the eruption blankets the world in darkness for 9 months adding to the drama of the novel.....

Not for people. They don't have the ca[acity for feeding, sanitation, etc.. If they started to convert en masse it would be to obvious to hide, and then their troops would be sitting ducks for several weeks as they crossed the Pacific. The better move would be to partner with Mexico on the promise of restoring lands "stolen" by the US.

A good invasion story line woul d be Mexico resolving it cartel and corruption problems allowing them to have an economy that rivals the US, and then wanting those lands back. At the same time, Califirnia for poliutical reasons (thinking they could rule Mexico) jumping ship.

China is about to stumble nadlt due to the one child policy giving a mulit generational gap in manpower. They are more likely to go after Asian countrie to provide labor to keep the factories humming. But, then there is the Indian juggernaut getting ready to surpass them...
Not truly an invasion. It is slow. They ain't invading to invade. They are "helping".

My initial post stated that.

Anyways I hope @unionguy the best with his next venture in writing.

First few novels were on:
Dollar crash ….299 days
and EMP….. Going Home series and Charlie's Requiem…… A. American has me hooked

Couple others in there too, can't get enough of the knowledge that comes from EMP….

I don't have as many thoughts on content…… but topically how about….

Second amendment confiscation? Where the gov tries and bands 2A in the USA

It may be topical for a while….. eating away at the right over time and then bamb….. they "Come and take 'em" and/or try hard.

War with China, impacts on the continental US (e.g. bombings or non-nuclear missile strikes, shortages, regional occupation), and life during or after a dramatically-changed USA?

KISS.

Economic decline with Carrington Type event.

Economic decline w/CT event & pandemic. Insofar as pandemic goes, consider the implications of a true, across all age ranges 10% mortality rate.

One or combinations thereof, which would lead to failure of civilization as we know it. Folks stop going to work? No grid, no repair of grid. No outside inputs due to the global scale. Mass die off due to starvation.

Survival is at the local level. Focus on that, in different local areas. Perhaps within a region-ie large/extended family(ies) spread throughout a region (PNW Idaho to the coast). Some trying to make there ways to family "homestead"(s). Some not - how do they variously make out? First years. Then first decade. Then several decades, as society has "normalized".

No need to get all James Bond style "evil" National (nor international) "protagonist". Those types of novels are pretty stupid. -IMO.

The event(s) in & of themselves are "bad enough".

Perhaps local, state or regional "evil protagonist", however not the point of stupid James Bond style. Just a quick pass-over, read in or whatever. As (IMO) they wouldn't last due to self destruction.

Maybe County level? Sheriff dept expands & law changes with severity of the times...???

"Bad guys" - sure. However the characters (IMO) wouldn't know them. So why should the reader. Perhaps the "raider" concept & how to possibly survive such from the various family perspectives above...some don't, some mostly don't, perhaps some do.

As some of you might remember, I wrote the Brushfire Plague trilogy several years ago. This was a pandemic survivalist/action scenario...yes pre-Covid...and set in Portland as civilization starts to crumble in the face of a virulent and deadly plague. As I'm getting ready to start writing seriously again, I wanted to ask everyone: are there any particular apocalyptic scenarios that would grab your eye if you heard about it or saw it on a bookshelf? Another way to think about it is: what are your favorite scenarios in that genre?

thanks!
Personally i found some of the ideas of the "Jericho" tv series very compelling: 1) Limited nuclear blasts in certain cities, 2) introduced disease plus limited vaccine (as i recall) that was controlled by corporation that pulled the strings for one of the country/states 3) independent county-states within the former US (similar to man in high castle that way) 4) corporate control and politics so intermixed you couldn't tell where one let off and the other started.

One of the most compelling short movies I've seen is "kill all others". The themes are obvious and there are some fantastic ideas in there imo. If you haven't seen that it is worth watching.

No need to get all James Bond style "evil" National (nor international) "protagonist". Those types of novels are pretty stupid. -IMO.
Unfortunately, it is hard to find an Amazon Kindle book/series where there is not a evil warlord/etc. to fight against. And almost every protagonist is someone who is ex-SEAL/SP/CIA or at least LEO. Another part of the tired formula is that there is a child/wife/GF/BF/etc. that the protagonist is separated from and he (sometimes she, but rarely) has to go find/rescue before they can proceed on with the story.

I would like to find a well written story/book/etc., where the character(s) simply exist in a rural or wilderness area and are working/learning to exist against/with nature, with little to no constant struggle against some evil army/warlord/drug lord/etc. and the protagonist is just a simple person with little to no military special experience/skill/history. So far, I have mostly failed in finding such a story on Kindle, of late.

I would like to find a well written story/book/etc., where the character(s) simply exist in a rural or wilderness area and are working/learning to exist against/with nature, with little to no constant struggle against some evil army/warlord/drug lord/etc. and the protagonist is just a simple person with little to no military special experience/skill/history. So far, I have mostly failed in finding such a story on Kindle, of late.
Modern "Little House on the Prairie." But for the sake of realism in contemporary times, you'd probably have to throw some marauding tweakers (sp. tweekers?) or whatever in there. Update on Indian raid sort of thing. The basic concept appeals to my fancy for individual struggle stories. Heaven knows Charles Ingalls had his share of problems without EMP or the Chinese.

Sidebar: Spellcheck offers no relief from the Tweakers vs. Tweekers question.

Unfortunately, it is hard to find an Amazon Kindle book/series where there is not a evil warlord/etc. to fight against. And almost every protagonist is someone who is ex-SEAL/SP/CIA or at least LEO. Another part of the tired formula is that there is a child/wife/GF/BF/etc. that the protagonist is separated from and he (sometimes she, but rarely) has to go find/rescue before they can proceed on with the story.

+1 on the protagonist being just a normal person, whatever the type of novel.

As a long-time reader of apocalyptic/dystopian fiction, I'm always amused by the fact that, no matter what the catastrophe that ended civilization as we know it, that ended all production/manufacturing of consumer products, few authors ever address what ordinary people do when the toilet paper runs out, as well as the sanitary napkins and tampons, and what the survivors are doing with human waste.

Oh, and what are they feeding the surviving dogs and cats (that are not being used for human consumption)?

Lots of scenarios up here: the Big 10.0 courtesy of the Cascadia Subduction Zone and our numerous fault lines; tsunamis, all the bridges gone, folks on the peninsulas and islands cut off, JBLM, Kitsap and Whidbey Navy bases nuked by the North Korean dude with the bad haircut, the Ayatollah, Putin or China...

My new scenario: all of the population that received COVID vaccines start mysteriously dying off... Which, coincidentally, will kill off the entire U.S. military and most law enforcement (and corrections) personnel throughout the country. There'd be no one left to disarm the surviving populace, so there's that...

Last Edited:
If I had the talent and the time, I would base a series on what would happen if the Cascadia fault let loose.
This would be interesting and I haven't seen anybody touch it.
In addition to the direct damage to the PNW, there would be sympathetic events triggered due to it's size and magnitude. You could see dormant volcanoes in the Cascades become active as well as more activity in Alaska. The Yellowstone supervolcano icould be in play as is the New Madrid fault that rocked the Mississipi in 1912. Even the San Andreas fault is linked to Cascadia. The scope of damage for a fictional piece is as big as you want, and there is a lot of info already about the preparations for the event to assist with research.

It's also not a "what if" scenario, but an "eventually WILL happen" one.
The "ring of fire" has been done I think. I know the Yellowstone involvement has been done.

That was covered in the movie 2012.
Oh Yellowstone was done well before that - I recall one author who liked to do the "thing come in threes" theme and included Yellowstone a decade or more before the movie. It is one of those PAW fiction tropes, along with EMP/CME (I don't think anybody has done a Miyake event story - that would be original, and since it is much more powerful than a CME its effects would be catastrophic).

Oh Yellowstone was done well before that - I recall one author who liked to do the "thing come in threes" theme and included Yellowstone a decade or more before the movie. It is one of those PAW fiction tropes, along with EMP/CME (I don't think anybody has done a Miyake event story - that would be original, and since it is much more powerful than a CME its effects would be catastrophic).
Miyake story has been done:

E2154919-EEF7-408F-A198-C710AC5ED373.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews