JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have Hankook G3s on my X1 (daily driver) and they do okay in the snow ice. My daughter's Q5 seems to do a bit better with its Blizzaks, but then it is a larger SUV and has a different AWD system. There is one corner on the public gravel road that requires me to slow down to about 10 MPH (sharp 90* turn) and then go uphill over washboard. Traction control kicks in, especially with snow/ice.

The ATs on my pickup are half worn off-brand (I think Les Schwab) and do ok so far - I just got them recently with the alloy mag wheels from a Tacoma. The spare that came with that set was a BF All Terrain that seems almost brand new. When I have to replace the current ATs I might go with the BF ATs if I can find a good deal on them.

The studded tires I am hopefully getting next weekend are Hankook snow tires.

I want the Pirelli Scorpions for mud tires:
Pirelli-Tires-SCORPION-MTR-Cheap-Tires-Online.jpg
These would be what I use for the muddy season - mostly on the property - the back acreage is a dirt road that is muddy about 8 months out of the year - so much that I avoid it at all costs 4-6 months during the winter, for fear I would get stuck and have to leave the truck sitting there for months. I almost did that once - my flatbed slid off the road just about 100 yards in and I barely got it back out.

Those tires and some locking diffs would be nice for the early and late mud season.

La Nina is expected with colder/wetter conditions Dec through Feb for the Pacific Northwest. This indicates a good chance of more than normal snowfall.
I run Goodyear Duratracs on my 4runner. Good off road tire with the mtn/snowflake rating.
A number of the newer off road tires now come with the winter rating. They are good year around with out having to change with the seasons. While they work pretty well in the snow, they are not as good as a dedicated winter tire in dicey conditions.
Just ordered a set Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2 for my sons Rav4. Great dedicated winter tire. Costco has them on sale, 150.00 off. Paid 665.48 installed with new sensors. Great price.
Now he won't need to borrow my 4Runner to hit Mt Hood to snowboard, he can take his own car. Yes, I had a reason to get him good snow tires.

Highway 6 last night at 1500 feet was a whiteout. Went to Geraldi for a Choo Choo Train ride for the kiddo. Drive back was uneventful up until we got up to elevation.

I'm supposed to be driving to Prineville next week to see my aunt. If anyone hears of any weather issues with travel that way please post here or convo me. :)

Thanks everyone!

If anyone hears of any weather issues with travel that way please post here or convo me. :)
Trip Check is your friend.
I use TripCheck in OR and WSDOT in WA.

@Kruel J, if the road through the mountains is terrible, the longer route (l-84 to US97) is almost always clear. 97 doesn't turn to sh*t (usually) until you get south of Bend.

I am in touch with a friend in WY. He says it's seriously getting into Winter there.

Well, it looks like Mama & me gonna be taking the buckboard into town for supplies today. I can't think of too many things I want to do less than leave the house, but we're almost out of necessities like 1/2 & 1/2, cat food, and Irish Death.

Well, for the first time that I can recall, I'm tapping out and staying in place until the ice from yesterday's rain and last night's freezing fog thaws out. The one road we have that we can use to get to civilization has a shaded stretch on a side hill that is a solid sheet of ice, and this morning is the first time in the 16 years I've owned my truck ('05 F250) that it went very nearly uncontrollable and had to be put in the ditch.

Stay safe out there...

Well, for the first time that I can recall, I'm tapping out and staying in place until the ice from yesterday's rain and last night's freezing fog thaws out. The one road we have that we can use to get to civilization has a shaded stretch on a side hill that is a solid sheet of ice, and this morning is the first time in the 16 years I've owned my truck ('05 F250) that it went very nearly uncontrollable and had to be put in the ditch.

Stay safe out there...

I'm supposed to be driving to Prineville next week to see my aunt. If anyone hears of any weather issues with travel that way please post here or convo me. :)

Thanks everyone!
I've driven from PDX to Prineville many times while working at Facebook and Apple in blowing snow and fog so bad I had to ride the taillights of a semi to see where I was going. Other than even in those conditions, it is really never a problem with the groomed roads as long as you take it easy and have good tires/chains.

I've driven from PDX to Prineville many times while working at Facebook and Apple in blowing snow and fog so bad I had to ride the taillights of a semi to see where I was going. Other than even in those conditions, it is really never a problem with the groomed roads as long as you take it easy and have good tires/chains.
I think the last part of your statement is the problem, many people go to the mountain completely unprepared. snow tires, nope, studded tires, nope, chains that fit and know how to mount them, nope. experience driving in bad weather, nope. my dad lives in Prineville and I make the trip about twice a month during the winter, my 4x4 diesel pickup with the "all seasons" tires stays home and I take the Yukon that is studded up, with chains that fit just because.

I sent a picture of our snow last night to my daughter in Portland

her response was for sympathy for the homeless who have to sleep in the snow

?????????????????????????????????

I told her I was stationed in Germany for 3 years back in the '60/'70s

we sept out in the snow all the time in training

put half your poncho on the ground as a ground cloth,, climb into your artic mummy bag and pull your poncho over the top of you

the next morning, you would have to push over 6" of snow off you as you climbed out of your mummy bag

BUT - I didn't plan it as a lifestyle, I knew at some point, I would no longer have to

and my children have slept in the snow in Scouts, but never as a lifestyle

my son spent a weekend in a snowcave up on Mt Hood at 6,000' and has the merit badge to prove it

Following a semi is generally a good plan. They are supposed to be "professional" drivers, and most are. If you can stay a safe distance behind them, it works well. If you are on a fairly straight stretch, and suddenly you can read the writing on the side of the trailer, it is time to stop and regroup.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top