JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
he shoots it at a gong plate at 300 yds with a 6.5 Creedmore round. Doesn't really tell us if the POI changed less than 2moa which wouldn't be what I would expect from a 6.5... ?
Paper would have been a lot better. But as I said earlier, it really depends on the design. Some are better than others. The AUG has no zero shift as long as its the same barrel. Even scope mounts have come to the point they can be removed and put back with little to no shift in zero (LaRue, Bobro, etc).

Time will tell with this design, unless they do another demonstration with paper. In which case they will tell and time will validate.

I dont think its a bad idea, probably will work fine for general use but there is no way it can hold the same exact zero consistently over time... parts wear down.... it uses a taper to seat the barrel and the break in the gas tube, its direct impingement. It looks well done but as the hinge and clamp mechanism wears with use so will the tapers especially if taken down and re-assembled when dirty. I think this could work well for limited or occasional break down use and with care. Cant imagine the rifle 'entry level' in price just for this benefit... good idea, but not for me.

XAR Folding Automatic Rifle | F&D Defense

As usual, time will tell with new designs. Which is the reason I don't trust new break down designs as much as the proven ones (a decade at least IMO).

What I question is if it could handle hard use.

What I question is if it could handle hard use.

I had the same thought for military use like say if you had to beat somebody with the rifle itself how long would that mechanism last. Plus using the mechanism in rainy conditions, dirty jungle to sandy dry desert...

Any dirt on the taper or faces will be a problem and affect zero. To me a rifle is a rifle, Ive never had a need to break one down besides a 16"bbl AR with the stock collapsed isn't that big of a package. All I could think of was an advantage transporting the rifle especially by plane the smaller case makes it less obvious what you have. But that in itself isn't a huge deal especially for the price.

Only time will tell with this design. If it wasn't for the handguard being in the way still, I would have said a proper QD barrel design would have been better.

I'd say lugs with a pin to keep the barrel from twisting, but Steyr probably wouldn't like someone else doing that. :D STM556multiplebarrels3.jpg

Well, it's an interesting idea. I like the concept because I like the idea of breaking down rifles into more compact sizes for storage or transportation or just to make it less obvious, say in a vehicle - I can think of plenty of good reasons to do this. But, I'm by nature, not a first adopter of anything - tech, guns, gear, cars, etc. I'll let the first couple of Gens work out the kinks before I consider diving in to something like this. What would be nice is if others see this idea and come up with some other options that maybe address some of the concerns expressed in this thread.

I am always happy to see the gun community innovating though. Just when you think you've seen it all, someone proves there are more goodies hiding in the marble, so to speak ;)

What would be nice is if others see this idea and come up with some other options that maybe address some of the concerns expressed in this thread.
Folding barrels... Territory I dare not tread. I don't see a lot of ways that would be better to be honest. A short stroke piston with a QD barrel and removable handguard would do the same thing but I don't know how that could work.

Folding barrels... Territory I dare not tread. I don't see a lot of ways that would be better to be honest. A short stroke piston with a QD barrel and removable handguard would do the same thing but I don't know how that could work.

Well, people that are smarter than me may have some solutions to those problems. I do like the idea in theory, so long as the kinks are worked out. Maybe a re-design of the gas system in some way? Some handy dandy locking lug that makes certain the barrel locks up tightly and consistently each time? I don't know, but I will be curious to see where this idea goes. I do suspect others will jump on this bandwagon too - AR owners seems to just love this kind of stuff, so no doubt a market for these ideas.

Probably because its an unnecessary detail.

Doesn't bother me, but I'm not gonna be one of the buyers.

When I was a medical student on my surgery rotation I was helping close and I put a steri-strip (band-aid) on crooked. The surgeon yelled at me and said "if you do a crappy job on the outside then then patient thinks you did a crappy job on the inside"

So that's always been a thing for me. If I see attention to detail on some trivial cosmetic issue on a firearm, I know that they also probably had a good attention to detail on manufacturing the important parts on the inside I cant see. just my opinion

When I was a medical student on my surgery rotation I was helping close and I put a steri-strip (band-aid) on crooked. The surgeon yelled at me and said "if you do a crappy job on the outside then then patient thinks you did a crappy job on the inside"

So that's always been a thing for me. If I see attention to detail on some trivial cosmetic issue on a firearm, I know that they also probably had a good attention to detail on manufacturing the important parts on the inside I cant see. just my opinion

Funny, I kind of got the same thing in construction. Now, if I walk into a new home, I can immediately tell if the electricians did a good job or rushed through - simply by looking at things like, are the plates on the switches and receptacles level/straight? And a tiny detail - did they align all the screw-heads to vertical. It's kind of an electrician calling card. Same can be said for making up cables/wires in panels and in equipment. A nicely dressed-out panel or gear is the mark of someone that cares about their work - it's amazing how many don't give a sh!t how their work looks once the cover is on.

Is it really that hard to take apart the whopping two pins of an AR? It is even faster to slap it together again than it is to take apart. I think it takes all of 3 seconds, 5 max. It doesn't even require any tools...

They are just running out of ideas for the Ar15 rifle. There are only so many optics and do dads you can fit on it and the piston fad as passed so now let's find some ways to break it down. The next phase will be to turn it into a transformer so it will fold up into a scooter

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top