JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So did the OP get out this weekend with his action screws properly tightened?

Or are we still debating if marines and or vortex optics are bad at everything?
Whoa whoa. Marines are great at killing things, eating crayons, cleaning windows, and divorcing strippers. Leave us alone. I have no place in the fight when it comes to defending the honor of vortex though.

That looks like the group my Grendel does when you feed it junk wolf steel cased ammo (think majority of that issue is it doesn't like that bullet weight). That rifle just will not group to save its life with that particular ammo. However: take that same rifle and run Hornady Blacks through it and it groups sub-MOA. Of course that ammo costs 3x more as well. My .308's don't care. Feed them the cheap steel cased, or the good stuff. They'll group MOA on the cheap steel cased, and sub-MOA on the SMKs.

Now will it still do that with the post pandemic factory ammo? I couldn't say. Haven't bought any. Refuse to pay the 200%+ inflated prices.

Anyway back on topic: keep us updated on how it goes post-screw tightening.

Or are we still debating if marines and or vortex optics are bad at everything?
This thread has been a good example of how legitimate posts on NWFA turn to dirt because some members just can't resist posting negative, non-constructive stuff. Sigh.

I've never tried a Vortex scope. Once I get something that works, I tend to leave it alone. Accordingly, I have Leupold and old Weaver El Paso scopes that I've had for years. I think I have one Redfield also. Haters and nattering nabobs of negativism (quote from VP Agnew) here you go, but I have bought a few new scopes in recent years and they were NcStar. Definitely bought on price point. BUT: I didn't have problems with any of them. Most are now gone on rifles I've since sold, but I still have one and it works fine.

The loose stock screw may be the answer. I've had coincidental accuracy issues with ammo that was suggestive of scope issues. Never hurts to try a different bullet weight / brand / etc. to see if that's a factor.

This thread has been a good example of how legitimate posts on NWFA turn to dirt because some members just can't resist posting negative, non-constructive stuff. Sigh.

I've never tried a Vortex scope. Once I get something that works, I tend to leave it alone. Accordingly, I have Leupold and old Weaver El Paso scopes that I've had for years. I think I have one Redfield also. Haters and nattering nabobs of negativism (quote from VP Agnew) here you go, but I have bought a few new scopes in recent years and they were NcStar. Definitely bought on price point. BUT: I didn't have problems with any of them. Most are now gone on rifles I've since sold, but I still have one and it works fine.

The loose stock screw may be the answer. I've had coincidental accuracy issues with ammo that was suggestive of scope issues. Never hurts to try a different bullet weight / brand / etc. to see if that's a factor.
Yep, pretty much. I'm used to it now. Been here long enough to see just about every brand go through the ringer, more with some brands than others.

Im honestly surprised Vortex is getting dragged through the mud. I've had nothing but great experience with their stuff over the many years I've used their products. Just purchased a Venom 5-25 to put on a 22lr for poops and giggles. Got it today and it seems like a really nice scope, especially since I only paid $275.

That looks like the group my Grendel does when you feed it junk wolf steel cased ammo (think majority of that issue is it doesn't like that bullet weight). That rifle just will not group to save its life with that particular ammo. However: take that same rifle and run Hornady Blacks through it and it groups sub-MOA. Of course that ammo costs 3x more as well. My .308's don't care. Feed them the cheap steel cased, or the good stuff. They'll group MOA on the cheap steel cased, and sub-MOA on the SMKs.

Now will it still do that with the post pandemic factory ammo? I couldn't say. Haven't bought any. Refuse to pay the 200%+ inflated prices.

Anyway back on topic: keep us updated on how it goes post-screw tightening.
I tried pre-lockdown Lake City 7.62 and Federal 308...all with the same results.

I'm fairly certain it's the stock screw but it will be a few weeks before I can head to the range again.

Even made and china can be hit and miss. It really depends on the company. Some shops out of China can produce very high quality products, and others only care about penny pinching and produce trash. Same goes with American produced products or products produced in any other country in the world. It really all comes down to the company and their manufacturing standards and what they're willing to spend on their equipment, training, and employees. I've gotten plenty of made in USA products that were way out of spec.

Example: my original billet 308 upper was out of spec and causing issues with not only beating the heck out of my buffer, but caused any scope you put on it to be about 20MOA off. Had to adjust the scope to almost completely bottomed out to get it on paper. Wasn't the scope or mounts fault. Was the upper rail was that far out of spec that anything mounted to it would be off. Sent that upper back to the manufacturer and finally settled on a forged upper from them. The forged upper was in spec and no longer beating up my buffer, and the scope was near centered on adjustment and right on target. Both were USA made... So doesn't matter where it comes from...You can get a bad product that makes it past QA from any country.

Another example: your precious iphones are made in china :eek:

Most of my scopes are made in china (primary arms) but they're all high quality for the money and dead on for accuracy.

While I do have two Viper GenII, and three other Vipers. Here is a picture of me punching holes through coins @ 215 yards all day long with a Vortex crossfire.
Remy 700 .223 bedded & load development.

View attachment 1098609
Whoa!! Public admission of the destruction of Federal property - right there!!! Unless, of course, they are furrin' coins. ;)

Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States.

Edit. I got beat to this by a better man. :(

Last Edited:
Have no fear, this crowd will continue this thread anyways!
Absolutely. In fact, in light of the Vortex fiasco earlier, I eagerly await the assault on Primary Arms optics, since Mr. Smith brought them up in a positive light. (I have zero experience with Primary Arms, so I can't reasonably be expected to initiate the bad-mouthing process.)🤪

Seriously though, I kinda wanna drive up and take UnionMillsNW to the range. I don't know if I can stand the suspense for "a few weeks". :s0035:

Your first mistake was buying a vortex. Correct that mistake before proceeding :D
Cheaper vortex.* The razors are good, and the new 1-6x is the closest to a true 1x I've seen in that price range.
I own 63 kias and I drive them at 320mph for 9 billion miles and get 104 mpg. So yours can't possibly have thrown a rod
Like other Koreans, I go out of my way to not have a Korean car. For a long time Hyundai was bad in Korea, all their decent cars would go overseas. I'd drive an old run down bare bones mercedes C300 before I'd drive even a new Hyundai/KIA/Genesis.

Yup. And everyone is a "door kicker" "MARSOC" "Raider" "Recon" or a "sniper." Or they will try to argue/justify how much better they are than any other MOS. Haha. When in reality the Majority of us qualify on the range once a year…

Yup. And everyone is a "door kicker" "MARSOC" "Raider" "Recon" or a "sniper." Or they will try to argue/justify how much better they are than any other MOS. Haha. When in reality the Majority of us qualify on the range once a year…
Or EOD but in reality sentenced to supply or the S-1 office because they could not pass their PT test and are awaiting their medical chapter lol !

Then you have the ones who drive a truck. And then they make you realize why they don't let military drivers back without a ground guide.

The army still owes me $50 for a chain they snapped too.

Took the rifle out again today. The problem was the loose stock mentioned earlier. 1" Group at 100 yards. I'll tighten up the group when ammo isn't so expensive.

F2122027-46D9-4274-8B04-AB219E45E424.jpeg

Took the rifle out again today. The problem was the loose stock mentioned earlier. 1" Group at 100 yards. I'll tighten up the group when ammo isn't so expensive.

View attachment 1105282
Roll your own ammunition, shoot more and be happy. BTW, cleverer folks than me have determined that it takes five shots to make a group - three shots is just a happy coincidence. ;)

Last Edited:
It is not just a NWFA problem. It is the "virtual" culture that has developed around the internet generally. Reminds me of children taking turns on the playground grasping onto the handle of a baseball bat to see who gets to the top first, only in this case it is a kind of competition to see who can represent themselves as the most insulting personality, the most snarky personality, the most demeaning personality. People who may be polite to others in their real-world interactions let their true colors fly on the internet, and it is pretty sad to see. Pretty sad to see who they are inside. Sigh indeed.

WOW! I'm really surprised that 1/2 turn on the screw made that much difference. After seeing what happened to you, I'm pretty sure I'll take the time to check every rifle I own to make sure the stock screws are all snug.

Glad it worked out for you. Sometimes stuff like that can drive a guy crazy, trying one thing after another without positive results. You got onto the problem very quickly. Congrats!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top