JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When my girlfriend's makeup ships for free with the same ORM-D logo.

IMG_6044.jpg

When my girlfriend's makeup ships for free with the same ORM-D logo.
Cosmetics aren't truly Hazmat materials. They are in the category of "Limited Quantities" (black line diamond on white background). Which used to be called "Other Regulated Material." These are consumer goods of a sensitive nature in consumer quantities, limited by weight to 66 pounds per package. Loaded ammunition in packages less than 66 pounds also qualify as Limited Quantities.

Smokeless powder and primers are in a different category, they are one of the true Hazmat materials. For these, shippers need Hazmat training which costs money. Hazmat shippers must have a scheduled pickup account, UPS hazmat certified drivers must make the pickup, there's paperwork involved that is required by the DOT. I'm not sure what the charge is, I don't think it's a per package charge, rather a single charge for making the bulk pickup.

A LOT of stuff ships with "restrictions". As always if you want to find out why something does not seem to "make sense", all you have to do is ask, "is some gov agency in charge?" The shipping companies did not come up with the restrictions, some agency did. They put up rules that cost money. Someone has to pay. When some Co wants to ship a package that has powder in it they are NOT paying the same cost as the same box with something else in it.

Cosmetics aren't truly Hazmat materials. They are in the category of "Limited Quantities" (black line diamond on white background). Which used to be called "Other Regulated Material." These are consumer goods of a sensitive nature in consumer quantities, limited by weight to 66 pounds per package. Loaded ammunition in packages less than 66 pounds also qualify as Limited Quantities.

Smokeless powder and primers are in a different category, they are one of the true Hazmat materials. For these, shippers need Hazmat training which costs money. Hazmat shippers must have a scheduled pickup account, UPS hazmat certified drivers must make the pickup, there's paperwork involved that is required by the DOT. I'm not sure what the charge is, I don't think it's a per package charge, rather a single charge for making the bulk pickup.
UPS charges (me at least) $49 per package for hazmat on top of regular freight and fees. You have all the other details spot on. You know when something shows up and that was sent marked properly.

IMG_5699.jpeg IMG_5696.jpeg

I think the shipping company has extra rules to follow like Haz met training like dealing with fires and spills Weight restrictions as well as labels and chain of custody accountability. That''s my guess as to what we pay for with Haz-met fees.

I ship ammo all over the US without hazmat fees...hmmmmmm
I ship ammo all over the US without hazmat fees...hmmmmmm
I have to "guess" because the one is talking about this, not shipping ammo. I have been buying ammo by mail and then online since they started letting us mortals do so again and never had to pay HAZ-MAT. They always had the ORM-D sticker. Now when I buy powder or Primers it was a different story.

HAZ-MAT.png

Ive never understood why primers and powder are hazmat but not loaded ammo? Maybe its because primers and powders are exposed?
Whatever they do different doesnt look like it, my powders and primers have all arrived in the same beat up tossed around the truck box as anything else.

Batteries in phones in airline passenger seats? not hazmat
Batteries in luggage on passenger flights filled with people? not hazmat
Batteries in a cargo plane with no passengers? Hazmat, definitely, hazmat

Oil filter for a 2014 F150 in a cargo plane? Absolutely Hazmat. Probably considered same level as polonium-209. absolutely cant ship by plane.

Ah the joys of living on an Island.

It's been more than a few years since I've taught a hazmat shipping class or even worked as a broker, but will offer the following.

Primers by themselves are more of a hazard than loaded ammunition. Think of what might happen if a brick of primers is crushed by something sharp and heavy like the corner of a pallet dropped from 6 feet or so. The likelihood of primers going off, and causing a chain reaction, is much higher than the same primers in primed cases or loaded ammunition.

Modern smokeless powder is considered an accelerant, not an explosive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top