JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your first mistake was buying a vortex. Correct that mistake before proceeding :D
What choo talkin bout Willis? šŸ¤£

F6D0BAC1-7C9F-4E71-A060-7A4C930A5A70.jpeg

I own 14 Vortex optics. I own Vortex not because they are affordable. Price is not an issue.
I have never had an issue with a Vortex scope. Some of my rifles shoot 1/4 to 1/2 MOA after tweaks and load development.
Your issue might be something that has not been already mentioned.
For example, I have used factory ammo that was really unstable.

I own 14 Vortex optics. I own Vortex not because they are affordable. Price is not an issue.
I have never had an issue with a Vortex scope. Some of my rifles shoot 1/4 to 1/2 MOA after tweaks and load development.
Your issue might be something that has not been already mentioned.
For example, I have used factory ammo that was really unstable.
He already stated he's had the rifle for 25 years. He likely knows what ammo works by now.

I know a lot of people who like Vortex, I have Vortex binoculars, spotter and rangefinder what have all worked well, but their riflescopes seem to pop up with problems way too often. Given his personal history with the rifle and the scope being new, on a brand with repeat issues, the math isn't too hard in this case.

I think I *might* have figured out an issue. On close examination the screw that holds the stock to the receiver had come a little loose. The barrel and receiver had play until I tightened the screw a half turn.

Back to the range to see if that was the issue.

I own 63 kias and I drive them at 320mph for 9 billion miles and get 104 mpg. So yours can't possibly have thrown a rod

AMEN!

THIS IS WHY YOU SEE SO MANY USED VORTEX SCOPES FOR SALE.
Do you know how many Vortex scopes are sold compared to Leupold or Nightforce, etc.? Last I read it was about eight to one.
Not sure if I remember right but I read a few years back that Vortex Beat out Nightforce & Leupold for military contracts.
I also read that Vortex dominates among pro-competitive shooters.

Regardless, what other scope makers offer a Vortex like unconditional lifetime guarantee? Vortex sounds like smart money to me.

Last Edited:
Do you know how many Vortex scopes are sold compared to Leupold or Nightforce, etc.? Last I read it was about eight to one.
Not sure if I remember right but I read a few years back that Vortex Beat out Nightforce & Leupold for military contracts.
Mostly the ones turding out are the cheaper Made in China Crossfire, Strike Eagle and Diamondback series scopes, the military and real competitors are not using those models.

Mostly the one turding out are the cheaper Made in China Crossfire, Strike Eagle and Diamondback series scopes, the military and real competitors are not using those models.
I agree. Just send it back to Vortex after you drive over it with your jeep and get a free no questions asked replacement.

Regardless, what other scope makers offer a Vortex like unconditional lifetime guarantee? Vortex sounds like smart money to me.
Personally, I Don't give a rat's patootie. Given my history of having 2 jobs shipped to China while I'm left here wondering where my next meal will come from, bubblegum anyone who decides to manufacture stuff over there. The fact that a lot of the raw materials we ship over there to come back as crap thrown in a dump a few years later is icing on the cake.

I don't work for a military, I have to buy my own stuff. I pick and choose very carefully where that stuff comes from.

Anyone willing to send their money to a regime that hates us is free to do so, but you won't see me doing it if I can help it.

I think I *might* have figured out an issue. On close examination the screw that holds the stock to the receiver had come a little loose. The barrel and receiver had play until I tightened the screw a half turn.

Back to the range to see if that was the issue.
I dunno. That might have some effect, but that's a pretty extreme up and down spread for just a half turn of the screw. Good luck just the same.

Mostly the ones turding out are the cheaper Made in China Crossfire, Strike Eagle and Diamondback series scopes, the military and real competitors are not using those models.
While I do have two Viper GenII, and three other Vipers. Here is a picture of me punching holes through coins @ 215 yards all day long with a Vortex crossfire.
Remy 700 .223 bedded & load development.

20171114_133327.jpg

While I do have two Viper GenII, and three other Vipers. Here is a picture of me punching holes through coins @ 215 yards all day long with a Vortex crossfire.
Remy 700 .223 bedded & load development.

View attachment 1098609

Congratulations, that doesn't change the fact the Chinese Vortex glass goes back to the manufacturer at what many consider an unacceptable rate and if you want to get right down to it, personally I go out of my way not to buy anything made in China.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top