JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think I *might* have figured out an issue. On close examination the screw that holds the stock to the receiver had come a little loose. The barrel and receiver had play until I tightened the screw a half turn.

Back to the range to see if that was the issue.
Torquing the action mounting bolts is a basic step in gaining accuracy. A pillar bedded action makes that task a lot easier.

That said, I hope you understand that ALL scope manufacturers make the occasional dud, even Leupold. The difference is that Vortex won't even ask you what happened if you want to return it...even 10 years down the road with you being the 3rd owner.

My Vortex story:

I bought an AR with a Vortex Crossfire on it. It wouldn't hold zero. POI changed with every shot. Then I noticed that the crosshairs had rotated within the tube about 15 degrees. Definitely a broken scope. I called Vortex and they sent me another Crossfire. Now that I had a working Crossfire I decided I didn't like it, even though it did hold a zero and was not a bad scope. I called them again, and asked what they could do for me. They said they would upgrade me to a Viper PA for $150. That's going from a $200 scope to a $600 scope for $150.

And BTW, this was all with them sending me return packaging with pre-paid shipping. I own 5 Vortex scopes now. They do the job, and if they ever fail I can send them back.

Last Edited:
A USMC expert shooter shouldn't need the advice of a forum to sight in his rifle
No offense to the OP. But you would be surprised… I've seen Marines who struggled with the concept of how to load a magazine.

A USMC expert shooter shouldn't need the advice of a forum to sight in his rifle
Any good Marine will live by the words "Trust But Verify".

Asking for feedback on a problem is wisdom. Nobody knows everything about everything. It's a new scope and getting other's opinion doesn't hurt anything.

Your statement is like saying "A good race car driver shouldn't have to ask a mechanic questions"

Semper Fi.

I believe in the quest for knowledge but why claim your an expert.
Shooting Expert in the Marines means I know about proper stance, sight alignment and sight picture, windage and elevation, trigger control, ect... and can hit the black with iron sights at 500 yards.

This is a question about new equipment, not a skills question.

I'm a shooter. Not an armorer. There's a difference.

I believe in the quest for knowledge but why claim your an expert.
CMU_DtRWoAAWrNe.jpg

Shooting Expert in the Marines means I know about proper stance, sight alignment and sight picture, windage and elevation, trigger control, ect... and can hit the black with iron sights at 500 yards.

Spot on. Semper Fi.

No confusion here. The context in which expert was used was to claim experience. If it was rank why bring it up. All this could be avoided with a simple YouTube search 🧐
There's no winning this one I see. Good luck with your scope buddy!

No confusion here. The context in which expert was used was to claim experience. If it was rank why bring it up. All this could be avoided with a simple YouTube search 🧐
I think the reason he was stating he was an expert was because that is what he qualified as. It has nothing to do with your rank. When shooting rifle or pistol depending on your combined score you either are a marksman, sharpshooter, or expert. Like @UnionMillsNW stated he's was simply stating that he understood the basics of shooting (body position, wind call, trigger control, ect.) so he thought it had something to do with equipment rather than his shooting. Whether it be something loose in the mounting system, chassis, ect. or simply a scope that doesn't function properly. I think he was just trying to lay the foundation that he understands and practices the fundamentals of shooting. I don't think it was supposed to turn into a d!ck measuring contest. No harm. No foul. You can be an expert in using a tool for a purpose but have no concept on how to fix or diagnose a problem with said tool. In theory you would want to be a master in your craft and the tool your using but that's not always the case.

I think the reason he was stating he was an expert was because that is what he qualified as. It has nothing to do with your rank. When shooting rifle or pistol depending on your combined score you either are a marksman, sharpshooter, or expert. Like @UnionMillsNW stated he's was simply stating that he understood the basics of shooting (body position, wind call, trigger control, ect.) so he thought it had something to do with equipment rather than his shooting. Whether it be something loose in the mounting system, chassis, ect. or simply a scope that doesn't function properly. I think he was just trying to lay the foundation that he understands and practices the fundamentals of shooting. I don't think it was supposed to turn into a d!ck measuring contest. No harm. No foul. You can be an expert in using a tool for a purpose but have no concept on how to fix or diagnose a problem with said tool. In theory you would want to be a master in your craft and the tool your using but that's not always the case.
Exactly. Back in my hockey days, I couldn't sharpen a pair of skates to save my life, but I could explain what I felt to the equipment manager and he knew what to do.

His proven skill level is relevant to the problem. It pretty much eliminates the shooter as a source of error of this magnitude.

SEMPER HARD

33717421_2224797897546811_8920583027239682048_n.jpg

So did the OP get out this weekend with his action screws properly tightened?

Or are we still debating if marines and or vortex optics are bad at everything?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top