JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I bought a Vortex scope to mount on my Savage 110. I followed the mounting instructions and torqued everything down to spec.

Went to the range and the rounds are dancing everywhere.

What did I do wrong?

What's your level of scope knowledge? Is the scope correctly mounted with elevation on top? I went to sight in my rifle for hunting, and I was cranking the wrong direction on my dials. I didn't figure it out for a few rounds :s0002:

The dials move the cross hairs in the direction of the dial indicator.

What's your level of scope knowledge? Is the scope correctly mounted with elevation on top? I went to sight in my rifle for hunting, and I was cranking the wrong direction on my dials. I didn't figure it out for a few rounds :s0002:

The scope is properly mounted. It's not an issue of adjustments being off but of no round impacting near the last one.

what's your rifle setup in? Are you using a rest, on bags or some means of keeping it as consistently still as possible?

FWIW, this wouldn't be the first Vortex I've heard about that won't zero.

Do you have another scope you can mount or iron sights to make sure there isn't something up with the rifle?

ADD13DB8-A8DA-42FA-A84F-767AA2A2EBE2.jpeg

what's your rifle setup in? Are you using a rest, on bags or some means of keeping it as consistently still as possible?

FWIW, this wouldn't be the first Vortex I've heard about that won't zero.

Do you have another scope you can mount or iron sights to make sure there isn't something up with the rifle?
The rifle is set in sandbags. I'm a USMC Expert shooter so I don't usually have fliers.

This is my regular hunting rifle that I've had for 25 years. Just pulled the 25 year old Simmons scope off. It's not the rifle.

The rifle is set in sandbags. I'm a USMC Expert shooter so I don't usually have fliers.

This is my regular hunting rifle that I've had for 25 years. Just pulled the 25 year old Simmons scope off. It's not the rifle.
Call Vortex, let them know another one of their scopes needs to go to the crusher.

Fortunately they have a good warranty. Unfortunately you need to use it.

Been there done that. Sucks in todays world when nice rifle ammo is $3 a round lol

If you had another scope on there i would say it would be the scope. if you have the funds by another and try that?

You say it's torqued correctly but perhaps it's settled. I'd grab the scope and try to see if it moves and even if it doesn't move, check the tightness by hand.

My buddy was having issues with his 30-06 scattering rounds and we found his rifle only like one weight of cartridge...I think 180gr ended up being the trick. Sounds odd.

My buddy was having issues with his 30-06 scattering rounds and we found his rifle only like one weight of cartridge...I think 180gr ended up being the trick. Sounds odd.
True, but that scatter is exceptional by any standards. Interesting that it is mostly vertical dispersion though. These days, with etched reticles, it has to be something serious amiss to get results like that.

Now, I'm going to ask what might seem to be a stupid question.

1. Is the OP using a moderator?

2. If so, it is fitted TIGHT?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR