JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm flabbergasted - I truly cannot think of anything that is more ridiculous and downright dangerous.
How about this - on another forum a new member makes his first post about a gun that he inherited and he said he knows NOTHING about guns.

He posts several pics of an older Colt Trooper and it is obviously loaded - and one of his pics is of the muzzle pointing straight at himself!

He claims he does not know how to unload the gun but many were pleading with him to not touch it any further until he found someone who could carefully handle and unload it.

We may never know the outcome as the OP got banned at about the 15 hour point of his membership

Last Edited:
Hopefully this does t go down a rabbit hole of virtue signaling to shame others. The person did the right thing immediately, they stopped and now consulted and is working on the correct safe solution. This is not an example of irresponsibility.

All I wanted to know was if a doubletapp was possible from recoil and from there can find a solution. Thank you to those that provided the answer.

I let someone who was "an experienced shooter" have a turn with my S&W 500. When he touched it off it doubled, sending one through the range roof. No one was hurt but that's when I heard it's a fairly common issue for someone with average strength or less wrist muscles. So now, when someone wants to give it a try I load just a single round. Stuff happens and most of the time people get lucky but when it's preventable, why take the chance.
I've shot that revolver.
One would have to have some very sloppy grip/trigger finger control for that to happen, IMO.
I can't even imagine how that could happen.
But apparently it did.

I've shot that revolver.
One would have to have some very sloppy grip/trigger finger control for that to happen, IMO.
I can't even imagine how that could happen.
But apparently it did.
I heard it and pointed it out to him, he didn't believe me so I made him open up the cylinder and count the number of fired cartridges. He was a smaller stature person but said that his grip wasn't the issue, but I disagree.

Is it possible to ND on recoil? What would cause this?

Im kinda coaching someone long distance (lord help them...) via phone; recently got into guns on his own, semi auto pistols, ...fires gun and then the gun went off during recoil kinda like a double tap but when the gun is still returning to battery it goes off again... Is this even possible? Whats the proper nomenclature to describe this and solve it? Im guessing improper grip and improper arm extension is what I suggested to look into but Ive never heard of this happening and cant find anything on it so asking here since this is a safety issue.

asking for a friend.
Did this happen more than once?

Did anyone else try shooting it?

Does this bro even lift?

I heard it and pointed it out to him, he didn't believe me so I made him open up the cylinder and count the number of fired cartridges. He was a smaller stature person but said that his grip wasn't the issue, but I disagree.
Howdy Kyle!!

I think what happens is that during recoil the shooter squeezes with the whole hand, including trigger finger, trying to control the recoil. (that's why I suggested dry fire to practice relaxing the trigger finger after the shot. don't know if that would work... maybe shooting with a .22 for awhile would be better. IDK. Maybe try both.) But I think if the grip and forearm was already pretty hard when the shot breaks, the extra hand squeeze would be avoided. In my mind, it's all about proper technique controlling the recoil.

PS... my retired Marine buddy has several 500s... had a 460 too but didn't like the 12" barrel and sold it in favor of the 6". Now he wants them to make him a 500 with a 5" barrel. IDK why, maybe he wants to carry it.

Hopefully this does t go down a rabbit hole of virtue signaling to shame others. The person did the right thing immediately, they stopped and now consulted and is working on the correct safe solution. This is not an example of irresponsibility.

All I wanted to know was if a doubletapp was possible from recoil and from there can find a solution. Thank you to those that provided the answer.
What the OP is describing is a "bump fire" as a result of recoil and undisciplined trigger control.

From a training standpoint is to start with a liter recoil firearm and teach follow through.

Another cause for "bump fire" is very light triggers and similar undisciplined trigger control. I've seen this dozens of times with fairly new shooters that seek a very lite trigger without proper training, and experience!

Smiles,

I've seen it happen with semiauto handguns and new shooters. Usually the recoil brings the muzzle up, and they double or triple tap before they can get their finger off the trigger.
New shooters should never be allowed to shoot powerful loads in their semiautos, and really should be taught shooting, and trigger control with .22's or low recoiling handguns before moving up to hotter loads. And they should not be taught via phone, or emails! Someone with experience, and good safety habits should be guiding them along by their side, not remotely.

Sounds like this new shooter should consider getting rid of his .40 S&W pistol.
Runaway, bumpfire double taps are dangerous for this shooter's safety and the safety of anyone around him.
If he persists and is at a monitored public range, an RSO will have to disarm him.

I would tell him to stick with the 9mm.

Sounds like this new shooter should consider getting rid of his .40 S&W pistol.
Runaway, bumpfire double taps are dangerous for this shooter's safety and the safety of anyone around him.
If he persists and is at a monitored public range, an RSO will have to disarm him.

I would tell him to stick with the 9mm.
After having gotten some 1-2-1...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top