JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I was watching a vid from Active Self Protection YouTube channel. It shows 3 dudes hop out of a car and open fire on a modern 4-door truck, you know, with all the electronics & safety features.

Truck driver attempts to escape by driving over a curb, smart. Yet the truck STOPPED DEAD due to the anti-collision features.

In a hurry, look at 00:47—00:56 seconds, shows attack & truck stopping. Few in comments say "driver caused," yet many more others recount their issues with these "safety features" nearly killing them.

Couple of quotes I liked:

Morning Star
Exactly why I've turned off collision protection and steering assist.
I've had the steering assist almost kill me driving through new york in the rain,
and I've had the collision prevention almost get me rear ended.

jayjay nella
If you have to rely on safety systems to compensate for your lack of driving skills, you need to rethink having your car licence.

Hope this is the best section to post this in.

My '21 Tundra console lit up like a Christmas tree while towing our TT through eastern Oregon. The Pre-Collision was throwing a fit because the front sensor was covered in dead bugs. This issue threw the "trailer brake malfunction" code, so we pulled over ASAP.

Fortunately, you can turn off that stupid system, but you have to do it when you get in.

Last Edited:
Old school method.

I can remember when......
The crooks would hit your vehicle on purpose. Yup, to set off the air bags. Then rush up and rob you while you're still kind of disorientated.

Aloha, Mark

PS......LOL. Remember that recent post.....about the "Brazillian Method" of dealing with their sort of lawless people?

BUT, But, but.......
To tell you the truth. I'm getting sort of desensitized by the violent acts of the inner city utes and lawbreakers. Because (in the name of Social Justice) the Politicians and DAs appear to be so intent to see this stuff continue. Not to mention, that certain segment of the population who keep voting for them.

Rrrrrrright......

Last Edited:
I don't even like the abs, Most of these systems will help the idiot who shouldn't be driving anyway if they ever end up in a skid but for anybody that can actually drive a car the systems fight you. All the autos have been so expensive lately I'm debating on whether to go back to analog completely Not only to get away from the systems and warning lights but to get something that can actually be fixed when it breaks. I'm thinking pre-80 square body Chevy or 12 valve.

I don't even like the abs, Most of these systems will help the idiot who shouldn't be driving anyway if they ever end up in a skid but for anybody that can actually drive a car the systems fight you. All the autos have been so expensive lately I'm debating on whether to go back to analog completely Not only to get away from the systems and warning lights but to get something that can actually be fixed when it breaks. I'm thinking pre-80 square body Chevy or 12 valve.
Hard to go wrong with a 12 valve, if you can find one that isn't destroyed.

OK, I was watching a vid from Active Self Protection YouTube channel. It shows 3 dudes hop out of a car and open fire on a modern 4-door truck, you know, with all the electronics & safety features.

Truck driver attempts to escape by driving over a curb, smart. Yet the truck STOPPED DEAD due to the anti-collision features.

In a hurry, look at 00:47—00:56 seconds, shows attack & truck stopping. Few in comments say "driver caused," yet many more others recount their issues with these "safety features" nearly killing them.

Couple of quotes I liked:

Morning Star
Exactly why I've turned off collision protection and steering assist.
I've had the steering assist almost kill me driving through new york in the rain,
and I've had the collision prevention almost get me rear ended.

jayjay nella
If you have to rely on safety systems to compensate for your lack of driving skills, you need to rethink having your car licence.

Hope this is the best section to post this in.
I didn't watch video but was that the fuel pump shutoff that kicked in? I've heard about that happening but can't remember on what cars. Supposed to stop flow of gas in the event of a collision. I know on some cars you can turn that off but I don't know much about it.

I'm thinking car companies are not getting top software designers coming out of universities, or on the market.

I didn't watch video but was that the fuel pump shutoff that kicked in? I've heard about that happening but can't remember on what cars. Supposed to stop flow of gas in the event of a collision. I know on some cars you can turn that off but I don't know much about it.
That sounds reasonable, but it did not mention "fuel pump" itself in the video. I didn't look close enuf to give make/model ... will look ....

I still get irritated every time I open the door! Really!!! I know the dang door is open! Stop the incessant beeping!!!

Our vehicle started running a little rough, we were going down hill on Burnside into town when the engine shut off, breaks and steering don't work so good when that happens, turning the key to restart did not work, I could not turn it back to shut off the engine and try restart it without locking up the steering wheel. got it stopped in the middle of the road with the emergency brake. it started, I continued on my way into town. Near 20th NW it stumbled and died again. Now coasting, I was lucky to get it pulled to a side street@ 19th . I had to go to a local business to make a call for a tow leaving my wife locked in the car to watch drug deals folks shooting up, pissing and other scenes of debauchery. I later found out that apartment complex near Mc. Donald's was a notorious drug house. I guess that's OK in Portland.
Nonetheless had I known about what was going on I wouldn't have left my wife there.
It turned out a oxygen sensor was the reason the computer was shutting off the engine, without regard to my personal safety or situation.
I miss the "good old days" besides the fact you could fix nearly every thing yourself, my old truck had my back when put to the test unlike the modern computer driven vehicle:
I was crossing a creek a little too fast causing the water to splash up on the carb which stalled the engine, It did not want to restart right away. My back end was slowly being drawn down stream turning the truck. I only needed three or four feet, I put it in low gear, let out the clutch turned the starter, and had just enough battery energy for the energy sucking starter to get enough ground on the other side and keep the truck from washing down stream, though still partially in the water. After removing the infilter and squirting some ether, the battery had rested just enough to generate the little explosion, it rumbled and stumbled to life.
Try that today and see what you get.
Just because it can be done, or it is new, doesn't mean its a good thing to adopt.

It turned out a oxygen sensor was the reason the computer was shutting off the engine, without regard to my personal safety or situation.
Tight coupling is what it is called in software/firmware systems.

Where a sensor/etc. goes wacko and causes some other system to malfunction and shut down or cause problems.

I like my 2014 BMW X1, and it has some nice features. But some mice got into the wiring and that caused problems - mostly warnings, not functional. It cost me about $1K to have that fixed - had I opted for replacing the wiring harness there, it would have been about $3K-4K

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top