JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Bersa BP9CC has a surprisingly light factory trigger. It's small and snappy. It is a likely candidate for an unwanted double tap but it also groups nicely, so there's that.

I was not a new shooter but mostly self taught when a formal lesson helped me out greatly years ago. I wasn't having any issues like your friend but I had an aha moment when an instructor showed me I was not gripping with enough force. Most new shooters don't realize how hard you really should grip a pistol. My shooting and especially my follow up shots really improved after this epiphany. I think once your friend discovers this, as well as proper trigger control, their problems will go away. Maybe suggest some formal training.

Last Edited:
When I think negligent I think incompetence. Like someone dicking around with a loaded gun and sending one. Or not 100% verifying the gun is unloaded and sending one.

Your friend had an accidental discharge. He wasn't in total control of the gun and his inexperience caused the firearm to likely bump fire. Just my guess given the information provided.
I think AD is a better explaination.
And its interesting to learn a pistol can be bump fired.
Would a light trigger contribute to this? I think one of his sigs has an apex or some custom trigger... I need to ask next call.

Friend needs to work on wrist/forearms strength, and study grip techniques.... both Isoceles and Weaver require the forearm muscles to be used, but IMO Isoceles is a firmer platform for newbies.

I think what is happening is a "sympathetic" hand squeeze. It happens when startled. Friend must be terrified,...needs to firm up grip, use dry fire to practice relaxing trigger finger after the shot and remove flinch, and then get more exposure to recoil/noise.

Is good hearing protection being used? Might want to double up with ear protector and earplugs.

Then get friend to shoot a heavy revolver, .44mag or 500SW etc.... 9mm will seem mild after that... sell any snappy .40 and stick with 9mm.

ETA, is friend an older guy? Muscles can get weaker with age. I'm 70. In the off season of IDPA, I work on strength by squeezing a tennis ball.

Depending on what gun? Compact, yeah? Sub compact with .40 S&W? That's a lot of recoil for a newb. It's too much for me to want to mess with.

I think AD is a better explaination.
And its interesting to learn a pistol can be bump fired.
Would a light trigger contribute to this? I think one of his sigs has an apex or some custom trigger... I need to ask next call.
Definitely. You can bump a regular trigger too if the recoil is right and your grip is wrong.

In my case I dry fired the 2011 per the owners instructions to get a feel for the trigger. My best guess is that I didn't get my finger off the trigger far enough as I like to ride any semis trigger through the reset. Combine that with not knowing how to grip the thing right off the bat so bump fire wouldn't occur, it was a perfect storm. After I got the hang of it, I was able to ride the reset and not make it bump.

Depending on what gun? Compact, yeah? Sub compact with .40 S&W? That's a lot of recoil for a newb. It's too much for me to want to mess with.
I gave up my .40 cuz it seemed snappy to me, and that was a full sized EAA Witness. Shot a friend's full sized TAurus .40 last summer and my granny hands didn't like it at all.

My wife has jamming issues due to limp wrist when she shoots her .380 pocket rocket... that thing is tiny! I don't even like to shoot it because of the dramatic muzzle flip. Really have to concentrate on a hard grip/wrist when shooting that thing.

I gave up my .40 cuz it seemed snappy to me, and that was a full sized EAA Witness.
See here^, this is why I think you and I have some kind of "Connection". Early on, 2012 maybe, I was looking at guns at Kieths. I liked what I saw in the case, no other information, a CZ SP01 in .40. I bought it knowing nothing about .40. It's surprising how much recoil that little .40 has. I like the caliber and it's one of the handguns I can do pretty good with. I could never have a compact or sub compact in .40 though. Not a good choice for a newb, or someone recoil sensitive (me) I'd say.

See here^, this is why I think you and I have some kind of "Connection". Early on, 2012 maybe, I was looking at guns at Kieths. I liked what I saw in the case, no other information, a CZ SP01 in .40. I bought it knowing nothing about .40. It's surprising how much recoil that little .40 has. I like the caliber and it's one of the handguns I can do pretty good with. I could never have a compact or sub compact in .40 though. Not a good choice for a newb, or someone recoil sensitive (me) I'd say.
I've got a buddy that's gone shooting twice, both with me. The first time was like fifteen years ago with him my Glock 23. Most recently, he went with me two months ago. I started him on my Volquartsen 6", then moved him up to the Glock 17. Even at 6'2" and a solid 200#, the recoil/report got to him after about 100 rounds of 9mm. New shooters should definitely be using 22lr or a heavy 9mm to get accustomed to the report and recoil.

Even at 6'2" and a solid 200#, the recoil/report got to him after about 100 rounds of 9mm.
I used to be 6'0" and 160lbs (a long time ago), now I'm 5'10" and 260lbs (wow).... but after 100rds of 9mm my hands hurt for two days... never used to bother me at all. Granny hands. Makes even me, with 50yrs of shooting, want to flinch.

#fighttheflinch

I used to be 6'0" and 160lbs (a long time ago), now I'm 5'10" and 260lbs (wow).... but after 100rds of 9mm my hands hurt for two days... never used to bother me at all. Granny hands. Makes even me, with 50yrs of shooting, want to flinch.

#fighttheflinch
I feel like I've completed a feat of strength when I've been to the range and gone through 40 rnds in the M1 if/when my shoulder doesn't ache when I get home! I do wear a poothy pad though.

So, to clarify... Not totally new to shooting, been at it steady for about year and half or so.. Just got into it on his own and no formal instruction and im guessing a poor grip and arm extension simply just caught up... Go easy in case he finds this serching solutions. Overall its been great to watch someone new get into shooting.
I just havent experienced it myself so just wasnt certain bump firing would be possible with a pistol, but now that I know Im more confident giving advice to work on proper grip and arm extension.
As always, lots of good experienced shooters in this forum to gather knowledge from and much appreciated.

I will add that this guy is currently a danger to himself and others even beyond the typical "guns can be dangerous" mantra and he should stop using those pistols that are clearly beyond his skill level currently.

I will add that this guy is currently a danger to himself and others even beyond the typical "guns can be dangerous" mantra and he should stop using those pistols that are clearly beyond his skill level currently.
He did, on his own.
He will figure this out.

Start all training with a revolver. The good old model 10 s&w 4" is golden for this.
Maybe all he's ever shot is DA with a DA revolver.. I've shot many 10's of thousands w same. If I pick up a certain pocket 9 of mine after flogging my wheel blaster it's easy to double/let one get away. But at least they're all on target even at 20 yards. That thing is stupid easy to shoot fast and well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top